OBX 4-2-1 "stainless steel header" D16z6 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
HatchDX-SI

Quoted from OBX official site at

http://www.obxracingsports.com/perfo...mp;subcatID=22)

OBX High performance racing headers are made out of pure SUS-304 stainless steel. Dyno tested at low end and top speed to increase 7~10 horsepower. Precision mandrel-bend to enhance exhaust gas flow. OBX Headers will fit OEM down pipe or OBX Cat Back Systems without modification. These 2 piece type headers are easy to install. Value-added bolt-on headers for any racing sport performance enthusiast. CARB exempt.

-Dyno Tested and Proven
-Direct bolt-on without modification
-T-304 Stainless Steel mandrel bend for ultra fast flow.
-CNC Machine flanges with TIG and MIG welded construction
-02 Sensor position
-Hardware included
-Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over all impressions with this 4-2-1 2 piece header on a 92 hatch with D16z6:

1. Fitment SUCKS, the angle of the header when connecting to the cat converter is off to the passenger`s side almost 2"s. For this to properly bolt in I had to move the converter a little to get it to bolt up.

2. Welds looked very lousy. I am by no means a pro welder, but I do recognize quality...nothing to recognize here. I`m just wondering how long it will last before it starts leaking. Speaking of leaking, the gaskets they include appear to be way too soft and fragile. I doubt they would last very long and I do expect them to leak over time.

3. Engine doesn`t sound that great with this header, as for performance I really doubt it adds any horsepower. I do believe it does flow a litte better than the stock D15b7 header I was using on the D16z6. No dyno sheets to prove it and I`ve yet to see this header dyno`d (although I have not done a lot of research).

You`re probably wondering why the hell I`d use this header? One of my friends gave it to me, so it was free. I really wouldn`t recommend actually spending money on OBX stuff.

After I get my clutch broken in I`ll take it to a dyno for some tuning (probably by the end of Feb).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

yeah, i got the 4-1 setup,so far no problems but i can tell the top end power is much better, fitment wise-it was a bitch but its mostly because i didnt feel like taking the fan and radiator out and since its a 1 piece header,there wasnt much slack offered.so far, i happy with it but let time tell.
1point5crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchDX-SI
I really wouldn`t recommend actually spending money on OBX stuff.

AMEN to that ... no obx products should be payed for ...
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Well I too just recently installed a OBX header, the 4-1 design. HatchDX-SI's review was dead on. Pics follow...

The set out of the box, the extra piece is my 'cat'. Yea fuckin right that thing is a resonator...

The header. Shiny huh??

The 'cat':

B-pipe

Header comparison:

Pipe comarison:

cats:

Pic of the B-pipe & cat not fitting. I ended up getting the connection welded together with a flex pipe.

I couldn't get the shit together without the bitch leaking so I took it to Meneike:

Finshed product:

And finally:

My impressions...power is negligible. I was so pissed off having to take the thing down to Meineke that I couldn't concentrate on a power difference, just the fact that this POS was leaking. Also when you first install and start it up with the header installed, it smokes and the smell is something fowl. It still smells some, but I imagine this will go away with time. The cat I have is pretty much worthless now, so I'll be selling that to anyone who wants it.

Also I'm hearing a high pitched electric sounding whine whenver I get on it. Is this normal?? I'm thinking its because fo the thinnger steel. Oh well.

I think this might be the last OBX product I ever pay for.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky

thank god !!! you said that ... see ... people should spend money on stupid obx shit .. maybe you can change your avatar no more advertising OBX ... its kinda like wearing a target on your chest ... j/k
Old 02-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

*whimper, sniff sniff...
Old 02-04-2004, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Charles

Oh, yeah. Mucho better.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 BseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to allBseriesKllR is a name known to all

wow looks like a shitty 4-1 header style usaully the 4 pipes go longer that just looks like a good looking 88-91 dx manifold.
BseriesKllR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

so did you put the hi flow resonator on ? or are you still using the stock cat ? it looks like you put the b pipe on the stock cat in that 4th from bottom pic
Old 02-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

stock cat is back on. will sell resonator...
Old 02-05-2004, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

how much do you wanna sell the resonator for ?? .. but wait ... that shit probally wont fit right, huh ?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

it will fit, just not on the damn b-pipe I bought. $45 shipped. PM me if you want it....
Old 02-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
HatchDX-SI

Yeah guess what, my 4/2/1 header is leaking already. I have another exhaust mani gasket lying around i`m going to use. The gaskets that come with the head are total garbage (thick and very soft to make up for the crappy fitment).

I`m getting an apexi header and a cat-back as soon as I get my tax refund.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Calesta

Anyone want a used DC 4-2-1 header? I've got one I need to unload.... PM me if you're interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Calesta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
jdm_ek_sedan

this header sucks i put it on my friends d16y7...wow fitment was WAY OFF...we still havent managed to get it to fit right...alot of jerry rigging...oh well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in