VMS "racing" distributor review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 SteveCity is learning the way of the DSteveCity is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default VMS "racing" distributor review

Hello guys,

Recently I thought my distributor was going on my car, I figured might as well replace it it has around 300,000 miles on it. At first I was looking for a new OEM one but noticed that they are no more. So I started to look aftermarket and the VMS one seemed to be the best OE replacement. But I could not find a single review on so I just said f*** it and be the guinea pig. I received it today and it looked good(quality wise) and just to test it the OEM cap and rotor fits on it perfectly. I installed
it and she started right up, nice and smooth. I have only drove about an hour on it and it feels just like OE, reved the old d15 to around 6,000 and no cut outs or anything. So far so good, it was like $180 shipped.

CONCLUSION: as of right now I have none as I have only drove a little on it, I will update this thread in the future. I was just bored today and felt like writing something.

And yes i'm aware my engine bay is dirty and riced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_175134_1495582722510.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	121105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_175204_1495582792216.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	121113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_175208_1495582899466.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	121121   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_180647_1495582970250.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	121129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_183746_1495583039777.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	656.1 KB
ID:	121137  

SteveCity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I bought this one a while back for $59.50 and comes with cap+rotor.

It's powering my D15B turbo @13 psi just fine with no problems.

Ignition Distributor for 92-95 Honda Civic 1.5L 1.6L VTEC fits D16Z6OBD1 TD-42U | eBay

$180 is hella expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 SteveCity is learning the way of the DSteveCity is learning the way of the D

Hmm I saw the $60 ones on eBay but didnt bother with them, I just thought they would fail. Oh well.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

What I like, is they polished the housing. They would NEVER waste the time required to do that without testing the operation of the unit.

I bet its a good one thats tested and will work out of the box. Those 60 ones are probably untested and very hit and miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!

Only time will tell...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

if people think $180 is expensive for a distributor, you better hope nothing else ever goes wrong lol.

$180 is cheaper than needing a tow truck when your $60 ebay garbage fails.

my $60 ebay distributor had to be notched on all mounting holes to get base timing spot on.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Just giving an update and it still works like the day it came, I drive my car everyday about 50 miles.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Glad to hear it's holding up nicely.

5,000 miles plus on my dizzy and still functioning without issues.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

For perspective's sake, a dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires for my ir intake dual carb 80 fiesta cost 435$
Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

My $60 ebay dizzy that came with a cap and rotor still work fine. I took mine apart when I got it and checked everything out, biggest issue I saw was the thermal paste between the case and ignitor was both shitty and poorly applied. I cleaned the junk off and put new computer thermal paste in and it has worked 100%.

Besides, those ebay dizzys dont have to last forever, when the whole dizzy costs the same as a cap and rotor by themselves, you can literally change them every time you world normally change a cap and rotor.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelEspinoza View Post
Besides, those ebay dizzys dont have to last forever, when the whole dizzy costs the same as a cap and rotor by themselves, you can literally change them every time you world normally change a cap and rotor.
I am at a point in my life where carrying spare parts and tools in my car is considered a hassle. Having a part that works without having to worry about it is worth a little extra $$.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcanoJoelEspinoza is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
I am at a point in my life where carrying spare parts and tools in my car is considered a hassle. Having a part that works without having to worry about it is worth a little extra $$.
Honestly, carrying tools is kind of a requirement in any car that is as old as these are getting. I mean, my daily driver CRX is 29 years old this month.

That being said the ebay dizzy worked fine with no issues for over a year of daily driving, and it still works fine, the car is just not driven because the rods are bent.

I would also love to see that fancy race dizzy taken apart next to a cheap ebay dizzy and see if they actually used better components, or if they just buy cheap dizzys and put a $120 polish job on them.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

So the igniter went on it, lasted less than a year, it seems that it is a $120 polish job compared to the cheapies out there. Maybe it was a fluke, I could replace the igniter on it but ended up get a different brand.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
my $60 ebay distributor had to be notched on all mounting holes to get base timing spot on.
So did mine come to think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCity View Post
So the igniter went on it, lasted less than a year, it seems that it is a $120 polish job compared to the cheapies out there. Maybe it was a fluke, I could replace the igniter on it but ended up get a different brand.
Appreciate the effort to update the thread.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in