Rocket Motorsports Stage 4 SOHC Nonvtec D16 cam - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Rocket Motorsports Stage 4 SOHC Nonvtec D16 cam

Back on black friday Bad Guys ran a special on Rocket Motorsports cams and other parts. I couldn't afford the cylinder head...but I grabbed a Stage 4 cam (regrind). it took about a week for me to send my core in, and about 6 weeks before I got it back. They said they were busy as hell and I did not expect anything really fast (especially at the price!)

The cam was well packaged, and you could see the base circle was a LOT smaller. The cam lobe shapes had really aggressive opening ramp, and a lot more duration, I took a few rough measurements and figure about 1.5 to 2mm more lift compared to the Crane Stage 2 that was coming out, as well as about 15-20 degrees more usable duration.

The cam was finally installed yesterday, I also replaced the timing belt and drive belts and of course adjusted valves.

Start up was really bad, I had to pull a lot of fuel to get it to idle and ended up finally getting a nice idle at 1300 rpm. I topped off with fresh fuel and did about 5 miles of datalogging to adjust my fuel curves. I left base timing set at 16 degrees, and it was dead on with the timing light.

Even without optimized timing curves I am really impressed with the cam, low rpm loses a little bit under 3.5k rpm compared to the Crane, but power is still strong all the way to 8k rpm.

Overall i am really pleased with the initial outcome, and the communication with Bad Guys was good. The price was great, and hopefully the dyno tune I eventually want will really open it up. Definitely worth the $225 plus shipping to send the core in that it cost me.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 bowser4 will become famous soon enoughbowser4 will become famous soon enoughbowser4 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

That was a great price, I saw when they had that deal going on and should have jumped on it. I just ordered a stage 4 regrind form my all motor z6 build. Paid A LOT more but have heard nothing but positive results.
bowser4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I had the Stage 5 billet cam and made good power with flat torque. Now that i thought about it, I might be able to talk Rocket into doing a group buy for a cheaper cost if there's more people here that's interested. There would have to be at least 7 buyers to make it worth his time, or let me know who's interested and i will talk to him directly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jvtec8k; 02-10-2017 at 05:58 AM.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 05:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 jabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatnessjabberwock is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I'd be in on a Z6 cam
jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Kevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like BoratKevinio smells like Borat

Always interested.
Kevinio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am interested as well.
RebornFromAshes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

depending on price, i would be in for a big all motor a6 cam.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 3 Jfab is learning the way of the DJfab is learning the way of the D

Agreed, depending on the price I would be interested as well.
Jfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
depending on price, i would be in for a big all motor a6 cam.

stratton.
Only regrinds for the A6 and Y7 are available, so they're not really "big". Options are stage 3 and stage 4. VTEC stage 5 and up are new cams, not regrinds.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Im in as well. Need a cam for my itb A6 build.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I almost forgot about this thread and I will talk to Rocket now to get quotes for possible group buy regrinds.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Okay so here's what i got.

Normally rocket regrind is $385 and he can do $275 on the group buy of 6 or more and can be A6, Y7, Z6, Y8, DOHC ZC + shipping. The turn around time is about 1.5 to 2 weeks shipped back to you.
And lastly the bigger billet cams are $575 instead of $675 with the group buy.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

the a6 stage regrind is about as big as you can get on a regrind without hardwelding. I did not have much room left to adjsut valve lash.
stage 4 is 237/223 duration at 0.050" while the a6 is 193/195
lift is 10.8/11.3 mm compared to 9.3/9.1 mm
the ramp angle, especially on the opening side of the lobes, is pretty radically altered.

because of the lash adjusters you cannot really make the base circle any smaller and still be able to adjust, and to get more than that much lift from a new oem base circle will probably start getting making sure of clearance with the head casting. Since I am not likely to ever be porting the head, or going for forged internals to really spin my engine any higher I think this is as good as I am willing to go, and honestly it really is a lot of fun to drive....though since I have a new core Crane cam that has the OEM base circle AND more meat on it then stock it makes me wonder what could be done with regrinding that cam!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Approximately how much fuel did you add with the new cam. any?

You said you took someout down low, which indicates a loss.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

The Rocket cam idles about 14-15 inches of vacuum. The Crane idles at 19-20 inches. So between 14 and 20 inches I took fuel out under 2500 rpm, in the first columns at low load I had to initially take out a little bit of fuel in a few spots.

Above 3k rpm and between 4 inches of vacuum and 0.8 inches I added from 7% to 11% with the largest increases above 6k rpm.

After contacting Rocket about initial cam sprocket adjustments he recommended +2 and I added +2 more for the milled head. That made some fueling changes needed in the lower rpm rpm range particularly. Looking at my before and after maps I see that after the cam timing was adjusted (and ignition timing reset) I had to increase fueling by 3-7% in my part throttle maps.

Using the SManager comparison tool there are 141 changes to the fuel map after street tuning the Stage 4 cam, 86 ignition timing changes. After all this it still is a bit rough starting and i have to feather the throttle when it scold for about 30 seconds before the iacv is able to keep it idling around 2k until it gets to its warm idle at 1300, but it cranks over a lot easier now. There are a few "weird" bumps on the maps that are not aesthetically pleasing but the engine seems happy with them so I am leaving it be until more datalogging says otherwise.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Playing around with fuel flow calculations looking at my duty cycle, fuel pressure and injector size it appears that the cam increased peak power by 13hp. I can say the way it slams into the 8k rev limiter now i would tend to agree with that type of increase and the powerband being moved up.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

If you guys are serious about a group buy please let me know. I used to frequently lurk this forum but recently not so much. I am the largest distributor or RM products. Easiest way to get in contact with me is through PM.
Cheers,
Cole Mulvey Owner Operator Bad Guys Worldwide

Last edited by FarmerD; 03-05-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: advertising
BadGuysWorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I am loving this cam more every day. Would probably be even happier if it was dyno tuned but as i data log driving it gets better and better.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in