Inspection of another shops rebuilt head. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
Exclamation Inspection of another shops rebuilt head.

I was sent a head that had recently been done at another shop.
The issues with the head were 0 compression.

What I saw when I opened the box.

Pull the head out of the box, and start to remove the packing.
The customer taped a 1 x 10 board to the surface to protect it.
I cut the tape to remove the board and the first thing I see is oil and sand.

More sand on the bottom of the head.

Head must be fully disassembled and cleaned.

Getting the towel from around the head, I find a cam gear was busted in shipping.

Looking at the bottom of the head, notice the valve placement.

Also Notice the head was belt surfaced.

The Intake valves are in the exhaust seats, and the Exhaust valves sunk into the Intake seats.
Customer supplied pic
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
BogusSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Rep Power: 13 BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!
BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!BogusSVO is the fucking MAN!!!!

Putting the proper valve in the proper seat should fix the issues with this head.

Next is to pull the cams… So remove the cam caps, I notice that the caps have been swapped sides and backwards.
Intake side is to the bottom of pic, front is to the left

I mark the head casting, the cams, and the caps with a letter to ensure the same caps end up back on the same casting.

With the caps, cams, followers and HLAs removed, I check the cam bores

Notice the grey black oil, this is from the cam trying to self-clearance.

Next remove the oil galley plugs.

I find grit and rust on the backside of the plug

Rubbing oil from the galley between my thumb and finger I feel grit, I cannot see it tho.
BogusSVO nomination for newb of the year 2014, maybe lifetime honorary mention as well.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
DIY Guru

I did this several times to make sure it was not grit on my fingers I was feeling.

Next I remove the springs and retainers.
Stock retainers and locks.
Aftermarket Manley Valve Springs.

There was no need to check valve tip height, due to the valves being in the wrong seats.

I measure the head for thickness

Exh Rear 5.194 Int Rear 5.193

Exh Front 5.190 Int Front 5.200

New head spec 5.205 Min 5.185

Roll the head over and inspect the seats.

All the exhaust seats were ground, appox seat width is .095

I also noticed hard carbon build up between the guide and head casting.

On the intake side Cylinder numbers 1, 2, and 3
The seats were appox ground halfway around.
With Intake side facing, the ground area runs from appox 9 to 12 to 3.

The seats were fully ground on cyl #4 Intake

Intake seats were appox .095-.125

IMO, the seat widths are to wide, and should be .030 on the intake and .040-.050 Exhaust.

I decided to check valve seat run out

On cyl #4 intake seats, I found .004 and .006 on the other.

I will fully go thu the head, clean, Valve job, surface and oil port mod 1, New valve stem seals will be installed, and spring installed height will be checked, and shims will be used as needed.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

hmm, 1st glance looked to be a honda non vtec head... P75

Then I noticed it wasnt.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 SOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatnessSOHC_STUDENT is approaching greatness

love these posts from your machine shop, very informative
Hondata S300/P28, Innovate LC1 wideband

SOHC_STUDENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Someone was screwed over with this >.<

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Here is the sad part, this was done by a shop that specializes in this engine.

This guy pulled it out the box and bolted it down. It never fired, It took 2 or 3 weeks of tech reppin on a forum. then he finally pulls the head and sent it to me.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Hopefully they can yet their money back on the repairs from this shop that royally fucked this head. About the worst I've ever seen on a so called finished head.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Hoove... If I said the name of the shop, and you ran it thu Google. You would not be surprised.

Yes he did get a full refund, along with a new MLS HG and oil.

This has not been my only or first and doubt my last time fixing there junk.

Ill post a short block build they did later for you.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

How is it possible to mix up the valves like that...?

Ahh the blind folded one hand behind the back head assembling Trick,,
robgoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Well.......

Rep Power: 31 2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2drz6 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post
Here is the sad part, this was done by a shop that specializes in this engine.

This guy pulled it out the box and bolted it down. It never fired, It took 2 or 3 weeks of tech reppin on a forum. then he finally pulls the head and sent it to me.
Name of the shop?

Or if you dont want to put them on blast, pm me it I am good at keeping my mouth shut.
your mother should spank your butt and put you in time out.

2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

How in the helll is it possible to screw that many things up on one cylinder head?

Wow!!!

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

i cant believe a shop could mess that many things up, how were the guides, within spec lol? that shop, in theroy made the head worse then when it came in. no matter what was wrong with it. ill bet it had the valves in the correct holes when it entered their shop. also you should get the guy whose head this is to post about it somewhere online. you dont what that happening to others
Old 01-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

Gave it to the young trainee without help and then let it go out without inspection.

That's my guess, anyway.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Good try Sailor but your guess is incorrect. Thank you for playing
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

wait the owner installed the head with all that sand in it
Old 01-09-2015, 02:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
DIY Guru

I doubt the sand was on the outside of the head like that, most of the big chunky sand would have come from the water jacket of the casting
Old 01-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....Mediumrarechicken is almost there....

I enjoy reading up what you put down.

If you are using an iPhone for the pix you don't need to press the white imaginary button on the bottom, you can press one of the volume buttons on the side. It makes it easier sometimes than trying to strech your thumb down to hit the button. It could cut down on the blurryness.

If you are using something else just ignore me. Haha
Mediumrarechicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

How much does rebuilding a head like this cost?
rjwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
DIY Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwong View Post
How much does rebuilding a head like this cost?
Since I am not a supporting vendor I would advise you to check with them.

Price ranges can vary depending on what part of the country you are in along with what equipment is used and the experience of the machinist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in