S&W Race Cars 8 point roll cage kit: NOT Beaver Built Approved. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default S&W Race Cars 8 point roll cage kit: NOT Beaver Built Approved.

Here's the whole article, but it is mostly in Rant Format:

Beaver Built: S&W Cage install in an "EG" hatch. This was NOT fun.

Short version:

This is the second S&W kit I've put in a car. This one was worse than the one I put in in Steve's CRX. The legs were bent in WAY too far:

That pic might make it look exaggerated, but, no, they really are pointing in that far.

I ended up having to do some ghetto crap to get the legs to spread enough (Yeah, that sounds really wrong, but, well, it IS) to get them to fit onto the base plates:

I was scared for my nethers. That was a 5 ton jack and I maxed it out twice. That's a lot of force in those legs and the whole thing popped loose twice during this "procedure."

The rest of the kit wasn't any better. The only copes that fit in what I consider a decent manner were for the rear bars. The center bars and door bars were atrocious.

I suppose I should qualify by what I mean by atrocious. ALL cage and bar kits will need to have the tubes fitted to the car. All cars are going to be slightly different. That is to be expected and could be not a big deal. However . . . The copes on these kits are way too big and are angled very wrong. Small copes are better for fitting. You can grind out the tubes to fit perfectly. However, if the copes are too large from the beginning, you obviously don't have material to remove to fit and you are left with large gaps that have to be filled, or you scrap the tube. Since I couldn't scrap the tube, I filled in a LOT of gaps. I used almost 6lbs of .030" wire and over 60CF of C25. This is not an amateur friendly kit, as if you don't have experience filling in gaps in awkward positions (yeah, that also sounds terrible, but it is still the truth), you shouldn't take this on.

Again, I don't recommend these kits. The company also has lackluster customer support. For Steve's CRX cage, the two center bars are obviously cut for a straight harness bar, not the bent bar supplied in the kit. When called to ask about that, we were brushed off like we were some kind of idiots for asking about something glaringly incorrect. *shakes head*

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with this stuff.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Heh, well that sucks.

For some reason I was always under the impression that they produced a decent cage kit.

Good to know.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

I have used the S&W 6-point kit on my CRX, the main hoop was straight compared to what you have. I had no complaints, maybe the 8-point cage has those problems. I've also seen some other people buy from them and they fit like a glove and were notched perfectly for easy installation. It seems almost like they sent you the wrong kit if the filament is that far off.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

Maybe, but, I have no confidence in the company with the two cages I've worked on having had very significant issues.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Let's hear some superior suggestions for cages then!
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Pipe bender and a fabricator,

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

That just sounds like my dumb ass!

Any pre-made options?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Had great luck with my Art Morrison. Pretty decent.

ALso beave that looks sketchy as fuck what you did there to bend the pipe. Next time wedge it between two trees. It bends by hand/body force. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Dans i though i was the only one who uses trees to bend stuff haha. A cluster of maples goes a long way hahaha. It fit my '05 cr pipe on my '84 quite well.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Oh Canada... our home and native land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

As far as bending big shit, trailer hitches and ropes work too. Chains and bolts too.

Art Morison,

That is who Ricky @ SF recommended as well.

Very specifically the 4130 cage. Bigger than the chassis and cut to fit to make sure it's tight. I hear?

Said around ~900$ range, and 2-3k to install.. Which is out of my range for now, install wise.

DIY install?

How'd you do it for ~ cost installed?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

[quote=FarmerD;4307737}ALso beave that looks sketchy as fuck what you did there to bend the pipe. Next time wedge it between two trees. It bends by hand/body force. Lol.[/QUOTE]

It was sketchy. It was easily the most sketchy thing I've done in months!

Trees in northern New Jersey suburbia? GTFO. That would have been a better option, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
That just sounds like my dumb ass!

Any pre-made options?
I was recommended to try this site for cage stuff in the future: 6 Point Roll Cages

The prices look more in line with taking some time to get things right.

Art Morrison stuff was also highly recommended.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 adamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagleadamjabaay is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

if you ever do something super sketch like the bottlejack trick, wrap the pipe and the jack together with a bunch of duct tape. It prevents an extreme explosion, and PIPES TO THE FACE

you so crazy yo
adamjabaay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

I always figured you would have a pipe bender beav. Some pipe benders are getting pretty cheap, it would pay for itself in a couple roll cages.

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

~500 for a bender looks tempting.

Especially if I try to replace the core support.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
I always figured you would have a pipe bender beav. Some pipe benders are getting pretty cheap, it would pay for itself in a couple roll cages.
I don't want to do cages. What a crappy way to make extra cash. LOL! If I had enough semi-permanent space to work, I would have a bender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjabaay View Post
if you ever do something super sketch like the bottlejack trick, wrap the pipe and the jack together with a bunch of duct tape. It prevents an extreme explosion, and PIPES TO THE FACE

you so crazy yo
I didn't have anything else to tie it all together. It was scary. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
~500 for a bender looks tempting.

Especially if I try to replace the core support.
Yup. It's worth it, if you have a need for it!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in