Ebay MBNational 2.25 Catback & 4/2/1 Header Review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Ebay MBNational 2.25 Catback & 4/2/1 Header Review

Honda Civic 96 00 Combo Kit Catback Exhaust Muffler System Header s Pipe EK 2D | eBay

2000 Ex 5spd
So I bought this combo last week and decided to finally put it on.
The shipping was super fast and UPS dropped it off while I was home.

The Box It Came In.

Opened Up The Box. Nicely Bubble Wrapped.

Started To Take It Out Piece By Piece

Then I Laid It Out.

Last edited by StuckInTexas; 11-04-2014 at 07:48 PM.
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 StuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the communityStuckInTexas  is accepted as part of the community

Extra Large Granny Smith

I started to take off my header after spraying PB Blaster on it the day before, to my friends house and after I got there.

Came off fairly easy.

Here is a side by side comparo

The old gasket vs the new 1.

S pipe

Exhaust installed. Doesn't hang low at all.

I have to take a few more pics of the final install later, because I was in a rush to finish it. It took me about 6 hours installing it. A lot longer than I thought. It was my 1st time.

The exhaust tip matches up really good, about 1 inch before the outside of the bumper cutout. I'm keeping the silencer in, its really loud without it off, even though it feels faster without it. I want to mod the silencer because i get a little rasp with it in around 3,000 RPM. I think some electrical tape around the lip of the silencer will stop air from going past it and making that sound I assume. Or cutting some of the tube coming inside the exhaust.

All in all, I definitely feel my revs going up smoother, no bogging or stumbling like it did before with my hollowed out cat. Came with extra bolts and a gasket. Downpipe is very close to a bolt on the bottom of my engine. No rattles though. My exhaust wrap should be here in a couple days. Hopefully it will preform better.
Can't complain really, except no O2 sensor even though it has 2 O2 bungs in the Hi-Flow Cat (that's why I bought this 1.) 1 points down, the other points to the passenger side. Shift linkage got in the way. Had to tilt the headers a bit to clear the bolt better.
Mocked it up and then after I got everything on, went back and bolted it down tight.
It leaked from a couple gaskets and the head. But I tightened them up with my breaker bar and all is well. And Oh yeah. I complained to them and they told me if I leave a 5 star positive review, they would give me back 30 % ($52.50) which they did yesterday.
$122.5 after refund. + $30 for 1" x 50' of titanium DEI header wrap = $152.50

VERY NICE!

Last edited by StuckInTexas; 11-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

OKay..

Well, the cheap gaskets in that kit shouldnt be used.. Also, if you have finger prints on any exhaust gasket, it will burn up and cause a leak. Torquing your bolts down with a breaker bar isnt the correct thing to do. I think its 18/ft lbs for those bolts/nuts.

As you can see, the "grapefruit shooter" muffler is reduced to about the size of the stock system you just removed. So your smallest point in the exhaust system will make it perform like that particular size..

For example:

If you have a 2.5 tube thats crush bent on the turns, the crush might be 2.10" (for example) so your exhaust will flow like a 2.10" exhaust system.

If it were me. Id cut off that circa 2002 fart can and weld up a real muffler.

Cliffs:
-Use OEM gaskets and clean them from finger prints
-The smallest point in the exhaust line will make the whole exhaust perform like that size
-Delete the fartcan for a real muffler that can reduce rasp and noise.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
OKay..

Well, the cheap gaskets in that kit shouldnt be used.. Also, if you have finger prints on any exhaust gasket, it will burn up and cause a leak. Torquing your bolts down with a breaker bar isnt the correct thing to do. I think its 18/ft lbs for those bolts/nuts.
I wiped down the header before i started the car, I remembered that
I tighten them down to where it felt it was before I took the OEM header off, I'll torque them when I put the header wrap on

As you can see, the "grapefruit shooter" muffler is reduced to about the size of the stock system you just removed. So your smallest point in the exhaust system will make it perform like that particular size..
I think I'll enlarge the silencer hole a little bit bigger, its pretty quiet cruising but not really loud flooring it. I want to play with the silencer 1st.

For example:

If you have a 2.5 tube thats crush bent on the turns, the crush might be 2.10" (for example) so your exhaust will flow like a 2.10" exhaust system.

If it were me. Id cut off that circa 2002 fart can and weld up a real muffler.

It's mandrel bent 2.25" all the way, I measured

Cliffs:
-Use OEM gaskets and clean them from finger prints
-The smallest point in the exhaust line will make the whole exhaust perform like that size
-Delete the fartcan for a real muffler that can reduce rasp and noise.
It only has rasp around 3k RPM with the silencer in, but goes away before 4K. I think its the air squeezing past the silencer.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

this is the restriction I was refering to.. theres no way to enlarge it

Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:

this is the restriction I was refering to.. theres no way to enlarge it
Oh okay gotcha. That's just the silencer, and I can enlarge it. I wanna cut that tube in it first and hear how it sounds, and if that doesn't make it better, enlarge the hole.

My theory is that the exhaust gasses are cooler towards the muffler so I actually don't need that big of a hole at the end if i want to keep or maintain a little back pressure / torque. I know I don't need back pressure, and I'm not looking for high rpm either, if I was, I would have gotten a 2.5" catback. Right now I know it drives better than stock, thats for sure.

Last edited by StuckInTexas; 11-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole

Is there a cat or is that straight pipe?
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

ok.. lets see it with the silencer off

Old 11-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-m-b,95dxcoupe View Post
Is there a cat or is that straight pipe?
Cat I guess, its a little wider than 2.25" in the center, tapers back down to 2.25" on both ends.

Quote:
It's raining hard outside (flash flood warning in effect) but I will post up pics ASAP.

Does my theory make any sense? I wanna keep the noise down a little compared to no silencer, but still have a good balance between torque and hp.

I know my car drivers better, 2nd gear chirps last a hair longer lol.

Last edited by StuckInTexas; 11-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
I have the same exhaust under a different name (bbp) that tip is a 4inch tip, and removing the silencer will show how huge it is and hella raspy. also, REPLACE the header and down pipe gasket with something better than supplied (I used a diy sheet of exhaust gasket maker) and buy some lock nuts and slightly longer bolts. they tend to fail at that flange. and thread them all the way through both flanges. also, for the part that bolts to the test pipe, also use lock nuts/washers there as well. just had to tighten mine after 2yrs
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 11-04-2014 at 09:35 PM.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 0 p-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's assholep-m-b,95dxcoupe is worse than Satan's asshole

No Buenos senioros

El gato es muy importanté
p-m-b,95dxcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Heres the muffler pics.

Loos like it hangs lower in the pics, but it hasn't scraped on any big ass speed bumps.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

its just fucking huge and gawdy and doesn't let you use a rear lip lol. I plan on getting rid of mine one day and using 3inch oval piple from the turbo back
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 20 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I don't know about other people but I prefer tips to exit one inch after the bumper not before, personal preference though.

I also have to agree on the muffler, you don't even have to spend a lot. The junkyard is a great place to get them. I've seen maganaflows and even vibrants there. Usually just $20-40 which is only 10-20% of what they cost new.

I got a polished stainless steel dynomax for a camaro for $35. I always buy flowmasters just to resell them, they're not my cup of tea but some people love them.

maverick75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

I like the tips a little behind the bumper, and this one came out perfect. I could raise it up a little more if i want. I used zip ties and not the hangers on it just to mount it up before i bolted it down, but I left it like that. Once I wrap my header next week I might use the hangers but for now i think its pretty much on point.
I did a 2nd gear chirp only hitting 5k today, usually i gotta red line lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in