Review 3M Headlight Restoration System - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default Review 3M Headlight Restoration System

Item number 39008
Amazon price is $13.49 with free shipping

All you need to supply is a drill with a fully charged battery or 2, and some tape.

The headlights on my wife's Subaru and the one I just bought were hazy and yellowing. Instead of springing for new headlights I figured I would give this product a try.

Here is what I started with. The flash seems to have hidden the crappyness of this headlight. You can see some of the scratches and haze on the upper part, but the yellowing didn't show up.

Start with the 500 grit pad. You get 6 of them and I only used 1 for both of my headlights.

Move on to 800. There are 3 of these, and again I only used 1.

I should have spent more time with this grit. On the second light I did.

Then you move on to a grey pad that is 3000 grit.

and then on to a sponge disc and some 3M rubbing compound

I tossed a coat of wax on when I was done.

Over all I am really happy with it. I will do my wife's car tomorrow night, and will try to get better before and after pics.

A great product for less than $15; however, I would pay a couple of extra bucks if it came with something between the 800 and 3000, and I also would have liked a packet of the 3M polish or glaze to finish off the headlight.

It gets a thumbs up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My car hates me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano

I used the kit on my wife's car last night. Her headlights had some chips and an odd haze to them. The kit cleaned up the chips, yellowing, and some of the haze; however, the lenses are still a little hazy. It looks like the haze is actually on the inside surface of the plastic.

Pics with and with out the flash.

The knicks and chips are visible, and you can see the yellowing at the top of the lens.

Again I believe the results would be better with a grit between the 800 and 3000 pads, and a polish or glaze. You can see the lens near the side marker still has some light scratches from sanding. I may try popping by the local hardware store, they sell paint supplies and I think they have different rubbing compounds in stock.

My car hates me.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 09-13-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

The 20$ 3m kits at walmart come with plastic polish compound, the only problem with doing this is you need to seal the headlights or they will yellow in a few months. When ever I do my next set of headlight im going to give optimum opti coat 2.0 a try, its some sort of sealant that acts like a clear coat and is permanent, it works for paint and headlights but its a little expensive

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Is there a coating or something on them from the manufacturer? I would assume there is some kind of UV coating or something high tech that 3M or Dupont makes applied to them.

My car hates me.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Yes from what I have read there is a coating on the stock headlights, if I remember its actually in the plastic but when you sand it the uv coat is removed

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 09-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

it's on the plastic from the factory. I know on my legacy I could see the coating flaking off from the rounded bubble part of the lens in front of the projector
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

They have this acrylic stuff that works good to seal them in.

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I used this with same results..

Then when I tried to use a dupli color clearcoat, it looked like shit.

I have my moms CRV that needs this done again.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

I've also used this specific 3M product on my G35 and (aftermarket) del sol headlights, same awesome results.

way better than another product I used a few years ago that was "all-in-one"

I even used the buffing pad and compound to buff out a few roof scratches on my G35s clear
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
it's on the plastic from the factory. I know on my legacy I could see the coating flaking off from the rounded bubble part of the lens in front of the projector
My 02 F-150 head lights look like that (flaking). After I finish my wife's car I may try it on those headlights. If they can't be saved (they are back) I can get a set on ebay cheap enough.

My car hates me.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I came across this kit from 3M
Headlight Lens Restoration Kit - 3M 39084 - Free Shipping

It looks like they added a 1000 grit pad like the 3000 grit one, and a second packet of rubbing compound.

I also ordered this sealant, and if it works as stated it should keep the yellowing at bay.
Blue Magic 730-6 Headlight Lens Sealer
Amazon Amazon

My car hates me.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 09-13-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

better to just grab the sandpaper and plastic polish and use a buffer. that's what I do. They come out crystal clear like brand new headlights.

all you need is 800-1200-2000 grip paper. use the 800 less then as you go up use the smoother sandpaper more and more. the 2000 grit is where you spend more time. then polish it quick. Takes me longer because I do them right. Usually 2 hours
Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
better to just grab the sandpaper and plastic polish and use a buffer. that's what I do. They come out crystal clear like brand new headlights.

all you need is 800-1200-2000 grip paper. use the 800 less then as you go up use the smoother sandpaper more and more. the 2000 grit is where you spend more time. then polish it quick. Takes me longer because I do them right. Usually 2 hours
Are you sealing them with anything when you are done, and how quickly (if at all) are they hazing and yellowing again?

I have a bunch of finer sandpaper, but it's all packed (along with half of my tools) in anticipation of being moved to MI. Maybe I will go digging through some boxes.

My car hates me.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

Well theoretically they will last as long as they normally last when they are new. So about 5-10 years depending on weather and whatnot.
btw here my headlights done a year ago.
One headlight is brand new and the other headlight is polished.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

^^
Top pic is the polished.

I wish I could find a UV resistant sealant for after theyre polished.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
^^
Top pic is the polished.

nope bottom is polished. the top is a new headlight.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Clear film, also by 3M. Works very well. Not cheap to have installed.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Clear film, also by 3M. Works very well. Not cheap to have installed.
As a UV film?

My car hates me.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Yeah, if it's expensive then it would be worth it only if it stops the UV damage on both the light and the film, or is it that the film is replaceable and doesn't need a sanding/buffing?

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
^^
Top pic is the polished.

They do but its expensive, optimum opti coat 2.0 but its about 110$. Supposedly it lasts forever and you can use it on paint also

Alicia Aemisegger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in