Federal RS-R - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx
Default Federal RS-R

Well I needed some fresh street tires/rains for my CRX since my Z1 Star Specs were well heat cycled, but still had tread left (good thing I did, one of them had a knot in it when I pulled them!), and I'd been wanting to try out these Federal RS-R after having a few friends try them. I purchased a set of 195/50 15's from Onlinetires.com for about $330 shipped for all four, vastly cheaper than other performance street tires in the 140-200 UTQG category. These were nearly as wide as my 205 Z1's but have a more rounded shoulder, and of course were notably shorter when mounted on the same size wheel.

For regular driving, they've got good manners. Not a lot of road noise, good in the rain and seemed to ride as well as expected for a performance tire. Turn in is crisp, maybe a bit more vague than the old Z1's I had.

I've only really launched on them hard once on the street (yet to make it to the drag strip), but they seemed to hook very well at 30psi. They'll haze just a touch in 1st sometimes if I roll into the throttle and give a solid bark shifting quick into 2nd. I'm not making a ton of power, it's just a mild GSR build.

This weekend I got the chance to autocross on them, albeit not on my car. I took my friend's 94 1.8L Miata and ran GSR wheels with these tires on them in ES (yeah yeah I know, below the 180 UTQG for Street but they let me slide). They launched well the time I gave it the beans, clutch was spongy so I only did it once. Turn in on course was a bit vague, but that could be attributed to me going from a stiff CRX to a stock Miata. Grip levels were good, albeit not on par with other tires in its class today. I'd had the chance last season to try an NB Miata on Z2's and it stuck much harder. The Federal's breakaway was forgiving, easy to catch with a little oppo or throttle change but didn't exactly give much warning before they became overpowered at either end. They also liked low pressures for a car with stock camber, I ran 27 front and 29-30 rear.

All in all, they're a good tire, especially for the money. I'd say they're on par with the old Azenis RT615, maybe the current RT615K but much cheaper. Good straight line grip in both braking and acceleration. If you want ultimate grip, there's better options out there, but if you want a good bang for your buck over some regular street tire, these are the way I'd go again.

All things considered I'd give them a 8/10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

was looking at these for some time now...im on nt01's currently, and need a rain tire, thinking these might just do it for me

How to hook up turbo coolant lines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 royboy  is accepted as part of the communityroyboy  is accepted as part of the communityroyboy  is accepted as part of the communityroyboy  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I saw french people using Federal tires, over time the very Saddle cracks, but they still hook up well.
You seem to treat them good so they might hold up for a while
Picture of the problem:
Antea civic ej2 TPPT - Page 2 - Civic 1992-1995 - Club Civic Quebec :: Forum (post #29)

Old 11-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

I might get a set of these for my S2k next spring, hopefully that cracking was just a bad production run or something
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness

That just looks like tread splicing. Several of my BFG rivals did that, no effect on performance or life.
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Ive had a pair on the front for my street car for a year, no complaints. Hook ok for street tires. Ride is decent as well.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Speaking of NT01.... makes me wonder how the NT05s would be... they make a 205/50/15 and they seem to review well? Just thought I would toss out another option...
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC View Post
Speaking of NT01.... makes me wonder how the NT05s would be... they make a 205/50/15 and they seem to review well? Just thought I would toss out another option...
Interesting. For a long time, the NT05 was 17"+ only.

Nice to see a new size available.
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
Interesting. For a long time, the NT05 was 17"+ only.

Nice to see a new size available.
agreed. The price on them isn't bad either. I wonder how good they would be. My Neo Gens are gonna be done for after this next year. I will do a review on the NT05 once I get my hands on a set.
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Figured I'd update since I got the chance to autocross on these a couple times on my car (which is a far bit further prepped than the Miata I ran them on).

First time was on my yellow CRX at the start of the season in the wet. They did excellent in standing water and damp pavement as the day dried up. You could tell the car had more power than tire, as it would push just a smidge on power. Response was ok considering they were mounted on 6.5" wide wheels at the time.

Last month, I got the opportunity to run them again mounted on some 15x8" wheels. These things are definitely wider than most street tires, and comparable to most 200 treadwear ST-class tires. They were more direct mounted on the wider wheels which eliminated some squirm. Lateral grip may be down just a hair since they've been on the car over a year for daily duty, but they still stuck well for the age.

I could tell now the car was lacking in front grip at the limit though. Right before it would start to really work and rotate it would push, but still very neutral on these tires. Forward bite is still good and the car launches very well, but I found myself chattering them on heavy braking. Even in 100* temps with two drivers on an undertired car (195 vs 225 usually), they held up and only got marginally greasy feeling at the end of the day.

Lastly is wear. They got some camber wear, more than my old Z1 Dunlops, but I attribute that to softer sidewall and compound than them. I flipped them when they went on the 15x8's a few months ago. Overall wear is about what you would expect for a 140 treadwear tire I suppose. Again, grip hasn't really dropped off significantly despite the street miles and Louisiana heat (and, uh, driving in the ice last winter on them lol...skeeeeeetchy). I ran them as rears last event paired with my new Rival S's (another review coming on that soon) and they did well to keep up with top of the line street rubber.

Looking back at the end of their life cycle, I would definitely (and will) buy them again. For the money it's about the best bang for the buck. They won't be super glue sticky like some of these new tires, but the cost/performance factor is hard to beat. If you're looking for a budget street tire that does a lot of things well, this is for you. Even as an autocross tire for a Street Touring car, I think you can be in spitting distance of the new breed of rubber.

< Like us on FB

Last edited by xotic_crx; 09-17-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 STRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunnaSTRATTON is da #1 stunna

Thanks i will look into these when its time.

Stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tape-R taper/driver

Rep Power: 17 LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!LowFlyin' is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I just got a set of the new Kuhmo V720 on my Fiesta. Looking forward to tracking and autoXing these!

Only been on the car for 50 miles, but I have noticed that these things are noisy (rolling, not turning)!
'91 Civic Tape-R
'91 Civic Wagon RT4WD
'03 Astro AWD
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyin' View Post
I just got a set of the new Kuhmo V720 on my Fiesta. Looking forward to tracking and autoXing these!

Only been on the car for 50 miles, but I have noticed that these things are noisy (rolling, not turning)!
I'm interested as well, the Kumho XS was supposed to be one of the fastest dry weather tires when it was new.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I bought Federal 595 EVo's for my DD

I suspect one has separation from factory, but pretty decent tire imho.
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in