XTD Stage 3 Clutch Kit & Exedy OEM Flywheel - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 nuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default XTD Stage 3 Clutch Kit & Exedy OEM Flywheel

Alright ladies and gents i will be doing a review on these XTD Clutch kits i bought an oem exedy flywheel didnt want to use a lightweight flywheel since i only have bolt ons I/H/E on my D16Y8. Ive heard that their stage 1 and stage 2s suck so well see.... waiting on the arrival of my flywheel this friday.

So it looks pretty decent, and it does have some weight to it for being a clutch disk.... rivets are ok i dont see any bad manufacture defects yet...lol
The only parts i will NOT be using from this kit is the pilot bearing, and throw out bearing. Going OEM with those to just to be on the safe side YA DIGGGG and also i wont be driving like an to break it in to end some controversy. On the owners manual it states a 500 mile break in period.
NOW all my tranny gurus from what ive done and heard its just street mileage no highway till about maybe 300 mile break in period is this true?

nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

Im in for this review. Even though I have read these clutches are hit and miss which I dont doubt they are because anything mass produced like this with no quality control could result in A hit and miss situation.
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

I had a similar ebay f1 brand and mostly worked good until i cranked the boost. My buddy had a nightmare with that clutch it would not disengage. Anyway to answer your question i broke in mine for at least 200miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.7 119mph 2013 Ebay turbo 18psi
11.0 125mph 2014 23" M&h slipping clutch
10.8 132mph 2015 clutch slipped 418whp E85
10.4 150mph 2017 62mm D16 D2b

Insta: jvtec8k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

I've ran xtd clutches before, 200 miles then drove my normal routine, unless they have changed them in the last 2 years the stage 1-3 are all stock pressure plates with different discs, with that said I had a good experience, had a lot of chatter for the 6 puck I had other than that no issues, smooth engagement, life of it lasted longer than I had the car (2years)

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 32 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 54 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

I've had several of these clutches and i feel its all about the person who drives with them and install them. i've ran 3 of these clutches until each of my motors decided to just say fuck you i'm done. they were all N/A and the only failure i had was cause of my timing belt were garbage with my head was stiff as fuck with a stout cam. i also had a hybrid short ratio tranny with a OEM CX 15lb flywheel. and i never had a problem. in fact they were awesome in my opinion but again that is my opinion.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Only experience I have with them is the destroyed one I just took out. Very little background on it, just know it slipped when I went into boost and got progressively worse as I drove it. Swapped it for an D17 Exedy
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 nuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunnanuckles is da #1 stunna

Waiting on delivery of flywheel via UPS,
I feel like a kid just standing by the window straight creeping lol
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Read bad reviews, friend had one and ended up having to replace it after 3 months. The surface of the stage 3 deteriorated.

edit: I want to add that it was daily driven and has never seen track or drag strip. RSX 5spd base model.

Last edited by shrimp-poboy; 08-23-2014 at 08:13 PM.
shrimp-poboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 23 jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jvtec8k is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via ICQ to jvtec8k Send a message via AIM to jvtec8k Send a message via Yahoo to jvtec8k Send a message via Skype™ to jvtec8k

Action clutch has good choices +flywheels for a reasonable price.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
I've had several of these clutches and i feel its all about the person who drives with them and install them. i've ran 3 of these clutches until each of my motors decided to just say fuck you i'm done. they were all N/A and the only failure i had was cause of my timing belt were garbage with my head was stiff as fuck with a stout cam. i also had a hybrid short ratio tranny with a OEM CX 15lb flywheel. and i never had a problem. in fact they were awesome in my opinion but again that is my opinion.
If you ever made any decent power, the clutch would just slip on you.

These XTD clutches are a total joke. Not to mentioned they can be severely unbalanced. Not something I would ever recommend people run.

PS, I am pushing over 300whp through an OEM D17 Daikin pressure plate. Now that is quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post

These XTD clutches are a total joke. Not to mentioned they can be severely unbalanced. Not something I would ever recommend people run.

PS, I am pushing over 300whp through an OEM D17 Daikin pressure plate. Now that is quality.
So I followed your advice on this and bought a d17 exedy kit. What disc are you running that holds that much?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Its got a 6 puck comp clutch disc in it right now. The organic disc would probably hold 300whp for a while but it wouldnt last to abuse.

Also these XTD PP's snap the locator straps at the rivets all the time. Also the diaphragms crack like crazy.
Quote:
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Its got a 6 puck comp clutch disc in it right now. The organic disc would probably hold 300whp for a while but it wouldnt last to abuse.

Also these XTD PP's snap the locator straps at the rivets all the time. Also the diaphragms crack like crazy.
Good to know, only plan to push it to 2-225 on the stock bottom end and then I will get a real clutch kit for the built motor.

Oh and you mean the PP do this?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Classic Man

Ouch is that a crack? Looks like a hot spot developed from an untrue surface.

First time I've seen a crack there.
Quote:
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Ouch is that a crack? Looks like a hot spot developed from an untrue surface.

First time I've seen a crack there.
Not 100% but its definitely not normal. I'll post another photo here in a moment.
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

I installed it over the weekend at first I had a lot of noise but after a mile the chatter went away I'm at 225 miles break in and it feels pretty good no complaints yet but I do have a surprise I will post photos after work... I was surprised at what I found inside. I also took advantage of swapping my transmission to a K4F A000 S40 which I belive if I'm not mistaken is a y7 tranny. At about 75 mph I'm at about 2300-2500 way less than my ex tranny I had in their.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

I'd toss the ex trans back in, it doesn't use more gas as many claim and believe. As for the clutch I'm curious what the surprise is, I didn't have much bad to say about mine aside from the chatter but mine was on a bone stock std 89 hatch

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 mitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regularmitchwbr is obviously a regular

You put 225 miles on it over the weekend?
mitchwbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

225 miles isn't hard, my job is 55 miles one way, so for a weekend he could easily do that

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:

^ This. Mine ebay clutch started slipping at 12psi on stock motor as well. Not sure if it's a hit or miss thing as i saw some have good luck with it. Let's hope it works out for you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in