Honda D Series Forum banner

LED headlight conversion. GTR brand, but I have seen the same under different names.

28K views 85 replies 29 participants last post by  19si91 
#1 ·
These LED conversions have been popping up on ebay in different forms. I was curious, but didn't see a ton of reviews, so I was looking at all the different models and found the ones that looked the least crappy.

I have seen these branded GTR, and under a few other names. They seem to sell for around $80 for a set.

These looked the least crappy because they use a reflector to distribute the light, the cooling seems better than the others I have seen, and the connections seem very solid using a screw together fitting.

I will put some dielectric grease in the fitting and then heat wrap it on final install.

Here it is compared to a Silverstar in the black housing Ipex sells on ebay. The headlight housings are made in Taiwan and marked D-Spec. Compared to the stock lights they are mildly less sucky for lighting. One thing I don't like is that they don't have a lip all the way around the base of the H4 bulb. I get the feeling moisture will be an issue with this in the future, but that is for another thread.

Silverstar left, LED right

Both on

Silverstar only

LED only

The LED doesn't have the hot spots like the halogen light. It does look like it has more glare, but I think that is only showing up in the pictures because of the light color and how my camera picked up the light. You can see both are lighting up the roof over hang above the garage door.

Better than a projector HID retrofit? Nah
Better than quality halogen bulbs? Yep

Value?
At $80 they are pretty close to what you can piece a HID retrofit together for. Search HiProfiles posts, he posted up a parts list that comes in under $100. I have also seen conversions on AliExpress for under $100.

So you will get better light, but not the best for the money; however, they are plug and play, no need to disassemble and dremel headlights.

If they burnout, blow up, or start my car on fire I will post an update.

See less See more
#3 ·
When I was installing these I found that the H4 3 prong ring is actually an adapter. Giving the LED bulb and backing an 1/8" turn would let it slip out of the adapter. Do that and then slip you rubber seal over it, and then put the bulb back in. It will look like this when you're done.

Install the bulb and flip the seal over the lip like so.

While taping things up I noticed this.

The plugs only go in one way, but if you are a square peg, round hole sort of guy these arrows will point you in the right direction (pun intended).

You will need to make brackets for the driver boxes. Here is what I did.

#4 ·
retrofit>led>high quality halogen> low quality halogen

...where would you say the ebay hid kits fall, no retrofit housing, I don't like blinding people so im still on cheapy halogens, wouldn't mind a nice light, better visability but without blinding people

does the light output match an improper hid kit or close to it

and will this blind oncoming drivers

#5 ·
Scott, based on how it lit up my garage door I don't think it will throw any more glare at an on coming driver than a halogen would. Tomorrow night I will pull it out on the street and see what it looks like driving at it.

I can't comment on the ebay hid kits that don't come with a projector in these housings; however, I can say that the ones I have seen are dangerous to on coming traffic. All of the clowns with big trucks here (in the mid-west everyone has a big truck) have them, and they are brutal. With the LEDs, as far as I can tell, the glare/cut off is the same it's just whiter instead of yellow.

The LED's do seem to eliminate the hot and dead spots that I was getting with the halogen bulbs.

#12 ·
I found them on amazon for ~$80 with shipping
View attachment 70857
That is the same packaging mine came in.
Xenon LED Conversion Kit Headlight Lamp 5000 6000K H4 H7 H13 9004 9005 9006 9007 | eBay
77.99 shipped

Just curious are these high and low beam or just low beams?
These are high and low beam. They have a LED and reflector top and bottom.

Looks good make sure you use a separate ground, I've experience problems with sharing ground to that white distribution block in the 11th picture.

When I turn on the a/c circuit and the HIDS I'd blow the fuse for a/c. :(
I didn't share a ground on the A/C side, but I did use the blink side at a mounting position , and I may need to move it. In the past I have had similar issues to yours, if that ground gets messed up you end up with hyper blinkers.

It will be dark here in a few hours, and I will be sure to get pics up later this evening. If they work well I may order a set for my wife's Impreza, I would like to see how work in the OEM projector housings.

#9 · (Edited)
Nice I was asking about these a few months ago on dso and decided I wouldnt be the first to try them out, now I just might buy them. I have a pair of ddm tuning hi low hids that I had in my old car, the're just sitting around because I didnt like getting brighted all the time with my lows on. These look pretty decent let us know how they light up signs and stuff to, I liked how hids light up signs but after awhile that just seemed to make me more blind at night with all the glare off the signs.

Not to turn this into a hid conversation but they are getting so cheap, you can get lifetime warranty kits for like 60$ or a hi low kit (for cars that use one bulb) for like 80$

The design on these are almost identical to my ddm hids, they also come out of the h4 bulb adapter. Just curious are these high and low beam or just low beams?

#11 ·
Looks good make sure you use a separate ground, I've experience problems with sharing ground to that white distribution block in the 11th picture.

When I turn on the a/c circuit and the HIDS I'd blow the fuse for a/c. :(

#16 ·
Nice I think I will pick some up soon, I really just dont want halogen lights but I dont want to blind people with my hids. If they are whiter but the same coverage I could care less, my gf bought me some 60$ piaa halogens and there was almost no difference

#17 ·
Night pics as promised.

Low beam, 1 concrete pad from the door

Low beam, 2 pads from the door

Low beam 3 pads and a side walk away

The driveway has an incline and the car is on the street so the lights looks a little low. There is no light on the windshield of the other car in the driveway.

High beam, 3 pads and a sidewalk away

In this pic you can see the light comes up much higher on the driver side of the other car in the driveway.

Low beam, through the windshield coming up to a sign

The low beam lights it up nicely

High beam, through the windshield coming up to a sign

The high beam washes it out

Low beam on a very dark road (no other light in the area)

High beam on a very dark road (no other light in the area)

The difference isn't very noticeable in this pic, but it lights up the sides of the road better.

I still need to get the car in a flat parking lot with a wall to make adjustments to the lights. I'm thinking they may be set a little low.

#20 ·
I will try to swap the halogens back in and get a comparison shot of the driveway, and maybe that same section of road.

So any comment on how bright they are to oncoming traffic?

Looks like a solid option if you dont want to cut open your head lights. Better than HID kits that bolt up to older non projector lamps.

Also, any comment on how much electrical draw they have? I am curious. Possible to put an inductive amp clamp on the ground wire for one of the drivers?
I sat in the Subaru in the driveway and wasn't blinded by them.

I don't have an inductive amp clamp, but I might know a guy with one. If I can get my hands on one I will report back.

#19 ·
So any comment on how bright they are to oncoming traffic?

Looks like a solid option if you dont want to cut open your head lights. Better than HID kits that bolt up to older non projector lamps.

Also, any comment on how much electrical draw they have? I am curious. Possible to put an inductive amp clamp on the ground wire for one of the drivers?

#24 ·
Wow that's better than I expected them to light up. I wonder if that cooling fan will be enough to cool the lights? Looks like a way better option than a PNP HID kit.

Did you have to aim the lights really low?

#32 ·
forgot to ask what wattage yours say they are and how many lumens? most are in the 3200lm per bulb range but thats at 50 watts, i have found some that look just like yours and say they are 60w and put out 5200lm per bulb

#34 ·
after a certain point the brightness just washes out if using the OEM headlights. The difference in brightness is noticed using a projector housing. So to the eye its hard to see a difference between 35w and 55w.

#33 ·
Product Specification:
LED Type: CREE CXA1512
H/L:Output Power: 24W @ low beam
28W @ high beam
Output Power: 25W for Single Beam
Luminosity: 2000LM for Low beam
2600LM for High Beam
Input Voltage: DC10V-DC32V
Life-Span: >30000hrs
Color Temp.: 6000K
LED Junction Temp.: <75°C
Main Cooling Style: Fan cooling
Material : Aluminum
Color: Xenon White

Product features:
1. Brightness reaches 2000LM-2600LM
2. Anti-glare design,Better light pattern output.
3. Live span over 30000 hours.
4. Excellent heat dissipation
5.Easy for installation.(Plug-in Play).
6. DC kit: Bulb + DC ballast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.