Koni Yellow + Eibach Sportline - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Koni Yellow + Eibach Sportline

Yeah, I know I should have just bought them off the bat, but I guess it's a lesson learned. Ideas and expectations change over time, and so does your car.

So anyways, this is my suspension setup so you get a better idea of what I'm feeling and trying to convey to you all:
-Koni Yellow + Eibach Sportline
-EM1 rear swaybar with Energy Suspension bushings
-stinkbug stance (face down, ass up)

So the shocks… are awesome. I love having the adjustability. Literally a week after getting them, I took the car to Buttonwillow Raceway after they repaved it and spent the whole weekend dialing track settings. For my suspension setup, I found having the rears full hard and the fronts 2 clicks from full hard was perfect. What is a "click" you ask? I don't know, that's what the tow truck guy said to try when I asked him about suspension. So I interpreted it like this: one click is a little bump on the side of the knob to adjust the shocks.
The lower left shows what bumps I'm talking about on the knob.

For the street, I have them set at three 180 turns from full soft on front and rear. The reason I say "three 180 turns" is because the fronts will do a whole 720 from full soft to full hard, but the rears do like 540 and then another 90 above that. Anyway, the street setup is soft enough to be bearable on the street and not give you a back ache. However, if you set front and rear to full hard, it's ANNOYING with all the bumps and my back started to hurt. And I was driving on what appeared to be a flat and level road too. I used to have my street settings softer, but I was rubbing the wheel in the wheel well a bit much. This is probably because the adjustment screw only adjusts rebound and not compression. I'm going to have my front fenders rolled to hopefully stop them from rubbing. Also, having that adjustable spring perch (albeit, limited adjustment) is pretty cool to have. I have mine set so the rear is almost like stock height so that when I load up for the track, I'm not rubbing the wheels all the time. Plus, I like the look lol.

And now the Eibach Sportline springs. They're stiffer than my old ProKits for sure. Definitely much less body roll than the ProKits and they're still comfortable on the streets. The ProKit springrates were 290F 190R and the Sportlines are 310F 275R. I gotta say, they feel good on the streets and track. Maybe a tad bit much body roll, but a bigger rear sway bar would fix that. I'm not sure yet if I want to get a bigger one because this is my daily driver, but you never know.

Overall, this is a good budget setup for someone who wants very daily friendly suspension and the capability to take their car to the track and kick ass all day. They're relatively easy to install and they make a huge difference. If you want a bit more track-oriented budget setup, then Ground Control sleeves are for you. But mine is more like a "track-able street car" lol so this setup works for me.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Be careful with the yellows, you don't want to run them either fully stiff or fully soft, the danger is the adjuster can become stuck.

I haven't tracked my car, I just set them to where they were firm but not harsh, figure it would work well like that everywhere I take them. Nice setup you have though, looks nice and low without being dysfunctional, good heavy duty shocks that will last you a lifetime, and good springs. Thinking about running koni's and H&R's on my new car when the time comes that the suspension is worn and in need of attention, not terribly different than what you are running now.

** Don't forget to reset your pivot points on the suspension when you change ride height, don't forget to align as well. I'd wait a few hundred miles to let the springs settle in to their final ride height, then align

Function > Form

RTFM!!!

Last edited by Cali Noob; 08-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

they're that much better than the STR.ts, huh?
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Noob View Post
Be careful with the yellows, you don't want to run them either fully stiff or fully soft, the danger is the adjuster can become stuck.

I haven't tracked my car, I just set them to where they were firm but not harsh, figure it would work well like that everywhere I take them. Nice setup you have though, looks nice and low without being dysfunctional, good heavy duty shocks that will last you a lifetime, and good springs. Thinking about running koni's and H&R's on my new car when the time comes that the suspension is worn and in need of attention, not terribly different than what you are running now.

** Don't forget to reset your pivot points on the suspension when you change ride height, don't forget to align as well. I'd wait a few hundred miles to let the springs settle in to their final ride height, then align
Thanks for the tip on the adjusters! Yep, I got my suspension all aligned after letting the springs settle too.

Quote:
they're that much better than the STR.ts, huh?
They are indeed.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....

well, shit.

(btw, you selling your previous setup?)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Lol yes, I am selling it, but I'm out here in California.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

I guess shipping would be prohibitive eh?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....AutoXCivic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AutoXCivic Send a message via MSN to AutoXCivic Send a message via Yahoo to AutoXCivic

I think the "click" he was refering to is the adjustment levels on some coilover setups are divided by clicks. My PICs for example have 8 "clicks" of adjustment. Each level has a cleary noticeable point where the knob clicks into place. The Konis, IIRC, are more of a free form knob turn.

Good write up. Glad the new set up is doin' it for you.

<--- Stolen

<--- Sold.

Quote:
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Haha yeah shipping is prohibitive, u less you're willing to pay it! Lol

Yeah, that's what I thought he was referring to, so I just interpreted it in a way that made sense to me haha. But the way I interpreted a "click" actually works. The difference is noticeable when you're driving at the limit.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in