Yonaka 2.5" cat back review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Default Yonaka 2.5" cat back review

I think this is a clone of the APEXi exhaust. I bought it on Amazon from seller "Streetimports" for $239 with free shipping. The seller shipped the exhaust the next day, so the seller gets a thumbs up.

Amazon.com: Yonaka Honda Civic 92-95 3DR Hatch Performance Catback Exhaust DX/Si Only: Automotive Amazon.com: Yonaka Honda Civic 92-95 3DR Hatch Performance Catback Exhaust DX/Si Only: Automotive

Unboxed and next to my old Thermal R&D exhaust. The resonator on the Yonaka unit has a little larger diameter compared to the Thermal R&D piece.

The exhaust comes in 3 pieces, so the box it comes in is only a few feet long. This makes for an less pissed off UPS guy.

Mounting the new exhaust was uneventful, everything lined up exactly as it should. The exhaust tip sticks out a little more than I would like, but that can be replaced later on.

from the back it looks pretty good

It hangs a little low, but I order a pair of shorter rubber hangers,the one that goes at the front of the axle back. Those should bring the back up a little closer to the bumper.

Here is a video of the exhaust at idle. It is very quiet, you can actually hear the engine noise over the exhaust in the video.
right click, save me

Sorry I don't have any clips from driving it. It is very quiet, while crusing at 65-70 mph there is no droning. At WOT the exhaust is deep, but still quiet. This makes me realize how loud the the 2.25" Thermal R&D it replaces is. I'm an old man, and hate loud, obnoxious exhausts.

I give the exhaust 2 thumbs up. It's reasonably priced, fits like it should, and sounds great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My car hates me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zer0DazE; 06-30-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Well it looks pretty damn clean except that it does stick out a little too far. Also I would have painted that muffler black just so it doesn't stick out so much behind that bumper, leave the tip chrome of course.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 bowser4 will become famous soon enoughbowser4 will become famous soon enoughbowser4 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Ive had this same exhaust on my 92 hatch for about a year and a half. Like BeerDrinkin sugested above, I painted the muffler black. I also wasn't thrilled about the tip so had it cut off and replaced by something smaller.

Keep an eye/ear open, after having it for about 6 months I needed a new cat, (unrelated of course), and when the guy was welding on the cat he pointed out the welds on the resonator were failing. There were a few spots where it was apparent exhaust was leaking. My car isn't that low and I've never bottomed out on the resonator. Since I have had that fixed I haven't had any problems. Overall I like how quiet it is.
bowser4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

You are a very old man. The Thermal is one of the best sounding exhaust systems ever, and I get NO drone in my gutted CRX with my 2.25" Thermal.

I think they put that tip on to piss people off. Holy crap is that obnoxious!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
You are a very old man. The Thermal is one of the best sounding exhaust systems ever, and I get NO drone in my gutted CRX with my 2.25" Thermal.

I think they put that tip on to piss people off. Holy crap is that obnoxious!
I am an old man.

Yeah, that tip is a little 1990's in your face. I am thinking of just cutting the tip off and leaving the 2.5" bit that looks like it will end at the edge of the bumper.

My car hates me.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

medinabard It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to medinabard

sound clip?

medinabard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinabard View Post
sound clip?
It's in the first post.

My car hates me.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Anything above idle?

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Anything above idle?
I have ripper vids in my build thread of what it sounds like in the car, but all you hear is the open dump. I will work on getting some drive by vids this week.

My car hates me.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I had that same exhaust on my car when I bought it about 18 months ago. Since then, I've had to replace the resonator bc of rattling from within. It cost me $80..but other than that I love the sound and on my eg the tip doesn't bother me(maybe I've just gotten used to it) very nice budget friendly system tho.
BLACK EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt

I would paint the muffler and the tip black (personal preference)(draw less "i hate Honda vibes the last shiny metal). Otherwise looks clean.

I wonder how many years it will last. I think they use 409 stainless vs. DC Sports (I think advertise 304 Stainless on their cat-backs.

I agree you should cut the tip off

Nice Review!

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 07-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.
colelmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0DazE View Post
Here is how it sits with the shorter hangers (the ones used at the front of the axle back).

Much better. The hangers were like $7 shipped for the pair from Rock Auto.

I will try to get more vids tomorrow of the exhaust.

My car hates me.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice will become famous soon enoughdj_justice will become famous soon enoughdj_justice will become famous soon enough

I used to have this same exhaust. I switched to 3" kteller exhaust since im turboed. Its not actually 2.5". I think its like 2.3. Heres a video of how it sounded when my car was totally stock otherwise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uov...1ROa2aojByAEPA
Old 11-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

gearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcanogearhead98 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Was looking into this exhaust. How is fitment around the bumper. I know the OP said it sticks out on his hatch, but what about yours dj, it stick out any?
06 CGP TSX - 6 speed DD
gearhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 BLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the DBLACK EJ1 is learning the way of the D

Ive got the same system and it does stick out but doesnt really bother me. Sounds great. Ive got pictures on my profile page that shows it if you wanna take a look. Definately give this exhaust system two thumbs up especially with that price tag. Had to get it cut and welded after installing ebay header tho.. $60
BLACK EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Any update on how it's held up over some time?
PANDAmonium366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I would like to add an additional question to the above post.

Does anyone know if this is the correct one:

Yonaka 92-00 Civic 2DR/4DR Catback Exhaust

for a 2000 LX Sedan. It says it fits 2dr and 4dr but then in the description it says it wont fit a LX sedan. I'm new to the car so I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding the fact that it's contradicting itself.

EDIT: I did read one of the reviews that says a LX car will need a "test pipe" that you can purchase on eBay. This accurate?

Last edited by FoxBox; 01-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.
FoxBox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....

Sell me that thermal axle back portion!!!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

I have had one on my ef for 2 years nonow and has held up fine even with dragging it daily lol
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBox View Post
I would like to add an additional question to the above post.

Does anyone know if this is the correct one:

Yonaka 92-00 Civic 2DR/4DR Catback Exhaust

for a 2000 LX Sedan. It says it fits 2dr and 4dr but then in the description it says it wont fit a LX sedan. I'm new to the car so I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding the fact that it's contradicting itself.

EDIT: I did read one of the reviews that says a LX car will need a "test pipe" that you can purchase on eBay. This accurate?
yes. the 96-00 y7 cars have a different front exhaust system than everything else
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in