Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit Review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit Review

I recently put in an Exedy Stage 1 clutch in my car and I'd like to share the short but sweet experience I've had with it.

A little background on my car: a track-able street car lol. It's a car that you can drive daily, and still take to the track on a weekend and giggle your pants off at how fun it is. Notice I said "fun" not fast. My goal is to make this car fun and I think I've achieved that so far. I was at Buttonwillow Raceway for the Test and Tune day, shifted from second to third, and then I felt it… the rpms spiked up and then came down. After driving in so much traffic while going to Cal State Fullerton, punishing it on canyons, and a couple track days, my clutch was slipping, and it was time for an upgrade.

I went from an Exedy OEM spec clutch to the Stage 1, so I was used to a stock-like soft clutch feel. I finished cleaning up the garage after the install and took a feel at the clutch and HOLY DAMN it's a lot stiffer than I'm used to. I backed it out 10ft. and immediately adjusted the clutch pedal lol. Took me a while to get the pedal and grab point right, but I think I've got it dialed for my tastes.

How does it feel?
IT GRABS HARD! I always hated how the OEM-spec clutch was like sorta grabbing for what felt like a mile… then CLAMP right at the top of the pedal travel. The pressure plate never felt comfortable to me either. This new pressure plate feel a LOT stiffer than OEM, but I'm getting more used to it as I drive on it. The clutch grab is almost instant and it's what I've always wanted! Don't know why I didn't just get a Stage 1 in the first place. So here's a tip for all of you guys and gals relatively new to car tuning: If you're going to upgrade the engine a bit or track your car (even with stock power), get a Stage 1 clutch! Obviously, I'm still breaking it in, so I haven't gunned it yet, but it does give me the confidence that when I do, that thing will NOT let go.

BTW, pro tip right here: DON'T USE THE EXEDY THROWOUT BEARING. The one that came with the OEM-spec clutch kit broke on me in like a few months. Just got to Honda and shell out the money for an OEM one. What I did was just re-use the OEM one I bought after the Exedy one broke, since it wasn't that old. It still works great too!
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 32 Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Cali Noob is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Given the amount of work it is to replace in the event something does go wrong, I would have changed the bearing on principle.

Glad you like the clutch, I plan to upgrade my tranny at some point and will also be changing the clutch, trying to decide if I want to use my hook up for Centerforce, pony up the big buck for an ACT, or use Exedy...still got time to figure it out but I appreciate the info

Function > Form

RTFM!!!
Cali Noob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I love the PP on the stage 1's. Unfortunately me and my buddy thought we could man handle the tranny and ended up screwing up the stage 1 disc splines in a rush. So I bought an ACT 6 puck and it makes my B20 comp clutch vehicle so jelly.

I don't prefer the soft pressure plate of the comp clutchs (easier to slip it more than you should).

At the end of the day, nobody likes a soft PP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 honduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatnesshonduh666 is approaching greatness

I also ran a exedy stage 1 clutch and flywheel in a older b series build of mine and it was great.
honduh666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Had a stage 1 on my z6 75 shot a few time held just fine. Good clutch
redneck sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in