Add me to the list of ebay turbos from hell - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Add me to the list of ebay turbos from hell

Well as said many many many times before you get what you paid for...

Got a ebay kit on the cheap and thought I would try it out for fun,,

First off with the manifold... I had to grind the top of the manifold runners so I could get the bolts to even fit... Also the bolt holes where all off a good bit...

After getting the manifold and turbo on the block the angle of the turbo was crappy to say best... There was no way to clock the turbo and get a good free flow drain on the oil return line...

The turbo being brand new had a good bit of play on it without even being used. The only good thing I think I seen on the turbo was it looked like someone balanced it.

When I say EVERYTHING was a pain in the A$$ it was! Nothing line up...

Lasted 5 miles because of the oil feed line was turned and you couldn't tell it. One the line got warm it folded over on itself... BTW it was stainless breaded line.

New kit it all US name branded parts...
cwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 dj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regulardj_justice is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Goes to show you get what you pay for
dj_justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

not to say your kit wasnt crap but i used ebay turbo oil feed lines just fine for over a year

turbo 99 ex sedan A/C build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alicia Aemisegger
Blu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwindsor View Post
line got warm it folded over on itself... BTW it was stainless breaded line.
Damm they are really getting cheap making the lines out of bread now a days...

sorry for that dumb comment, but which manifold did you get? Cast? I used a full on ebay kit and made 351hp for 15k miles. I also used the ebay oil line. How couldn't you tell the line wasn't kinked? PICS!!!

Last edited by Flip; 04-22-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I would of never thinking a oil feed line would fold over on to itself...
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 jamesva is learning the way of the Djamesva is learning the way of the D

Sorry to hear it, do you have any pics of the modding you had to do to make it fit? was it AC/PS compatible?
jamesva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

I had to reverse the turbo kit so I could still keep my AC.. When I did this there was no room for the oil feed line to find... Because of the restrictor on the turbo you bolt on and then the feed line it was touching the manifold. I bought a 90 degree feed line and it still was touching the manifold... A friend of mine and me spent hours trying to clock the turbo so it would clear everything and it SUCKED! I had to shave the top runners to get Cylinder 2 & 3 bolts just to fit on the bolt... we also had to shave the flange so we could clock the turbo the way we needed it.

This time I bought a new log style manifold (Just posted pics on another thread) and a true garrett td03 turbo I scored of evilbay with low miles...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Pix.

Plus that doesnt mean there all bad, Some to line up and fit. Post which one you got. Sounds like you got shafted tho.

And always buy good lines. I wouldnt run those cheap lines that come with most kits.
some $1 heater hose is 10 times better.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

When you say reverse the turbo kit. What do you mean?
SamEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....Flip It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEJ1 View Post
When you say reverse the turbo kit. What do you mean?
He probably means he turned the turbo 180* so the cold side would be on the left. Right?

Flip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Rep Power: 20 Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!Blu3 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Pix.

Plus that doesnt mean there all bad, Some to line up and fit. Post which one you got. Sounds like you got shafted tho.

And always buy good lines. I wouldnt run those cheap lines that come with most kits.
some $1 heater hose is 10 times better.
you used ebay oil feed lines, thats where i got the idea to buy mine from ebay.

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
you used ebay oil feed lines, thats where i got the idea to buy mine from ebay.
Yea but I order brake line from shops on ebay that sell break parts lol.

Those other ebay line that come with the eBay turbo kits look cheap. My friend had a line and it felt so cheap and i think it ended up rusting and it was a 4 an to barb 1/8 ntp and it ended up rounding off really easy.

But there are some sellers on ebay that sell good stuff.
Normally there the ones that don't got JDM all over there pages.

I know wyton and another on that starts with a k , sell good parts.

. RIP

Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

ya ive used wytonm vband flanges and vband adapter

Alicia Aemisegger
Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 28 shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....shoebox_civic Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to shoebox_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Yea but I order brake line from shops on ebay that sell break parts lol.

Those other ebay line that come with the eBay turbo kits look cheap. My friend had a line and it felt so cheap and i think it ended up rusting and it was a 4 an to barb 1/8 ntp and it ended up rounding off really easy.

But there are some sellers on ebay that sell good stuff.
Normally there the ones that don't got JDM all over there pages.

I know wyton and another on that starts with a k , sell good parts.
kinugawa?

that's where I got my feedline stuff, hasn't been an issue.

then again I went with a banjo bolt feed not your typical elbow fitting...
90 Skyline GT-R - HKS Drager exhaust, RSR downpipe, metal wheel turbos
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D95coupeD16y8 is learning the way of the D

Simple answer. Installer error. eBay kits WILL work correctly if setup...correctly. That's the whole point with situations like this. People that spend thousands on their turbo setup have it done professionally/know everything on how to install it.

People that buy eBay kits *usually* slap it on, make it fit, and run with it.

You said above there was a problem with the oil feed line, should have stopped right there. There are a few pieces you want to stay clear of with these kits, oil feed lines are usually one of them. Bov's/wastegates can be rebuilt with brand parts for a heck of a lot cheaper than straight up buying the name brand.
95coupeD16y8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Moved to review section. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

I think the oil line was just pure crap... a steel an line shouldn't have folded over on itself like that..
Guess it was a good thing... I end up finding a good log manifold and garrett this time. I'm going to go to my local hose shop and have a American made hose this time.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You are a smart man cwindsor. Do it once and do it right. Using quality parts shows you know what you are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
ya ive used wytonm vband flanges and vband adapter
yes, got tons of stuff form them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox_civic View Post
kinugawa?

that's where I got my feedline stuff, hasn't been an issue.

then again I went with a banjo bolt feed not your typical elbow fitting...
Yes got some flanges from them and they work and weld great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95coupeD16y8 View Post
Simple answer. Installer error. eBay kits WILL work correctly if setup...correctly. That's the whole point with situations like this. People that spend thousands on their turbo setup have it done professionally/know everything on how to install it.

People that buy eBay kits *usually* slap it on, make it fit, and run with it.

You said above there was a problem with the oil feed line, should have stopped right there. There are a few pieces you want to stay clear of with these kits, oil feed lines are usually one of them. Bov's/wastegates can be rebuilt with brand parts for a heck of a lot cheaper than straight up buying the name brand.
100%

install error can play a big part.
I seen some people on a car build off show install a turbo feed and drain upside down. It smoke and they couldnt figure it out. My girl ask if i know what was wrong and i was said yea they need to flip the middle around.

3hrs later (in show time) they got it right and no more smoke.

Also i heard that to make an ebay turbo last longer you need to break it in.
Lube it up and idle it alot then run low boost.
I dont believe ebay turbos are made to run high boost pressure.
I see people use them for 10psi for years then crank it up to 20psi and bang.

. RIP

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Two men shy of a group

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwindsor View Post
I think the oil line was just pure crap... a steel an line shouldn't have folded over on itself like that..
Guess it was a good thing... I end up finding a good log manifold and garrett this time. I'm going to go to my local hose shop and have a American made hose this time.
im pretty sure AN lines are not steel, at least the good quality ones i got from go autoworks were not steel.my ebay drain i bought was braided steel with a plastic inside tube but regular silver AN lines are braided on the outside with tubing on the inside.

Alicia Aemisegger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in