Hawk HP+ brake pads review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Hawk HP+ brake pads review

I have recently bought and installed some Hawk HP+ pads in muy 2000 Civic (specs in signature). May I first say that you should really do the proper bed-in procedure. It really helps make your initial experience better.

When I first did a hard-ish stop in them, I locked up my brakes. lolz I had shit tires at the time though. With my new Kuhmo KH16, they'll lock up if you suddenly stab the brakes, just like my old ProStop ceramics and Cooper CS4 combo. So it's familiar to me now, but holy crap can these brakes handle their shit! It took me a while to get use to the amount of brake modulation I have and where they really grab. But once you get used to it, they're really good brakes, just a bit squeally. I have done some research, and I found a possible solution on a 350Z forum. If you take an OEM shim and use that on the pad, it can help quiet them down. I haven't tried it, but it's a possible solution for you guys; save you some searching on the interbutz.

Currently, I'm running Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 brake fluid, standard brake lines, ProStop hi-carbon discs (recently resurfaced) and the Hawk pads. First impression: HOLY CRAP THESE ARE WAY OUT OF MY LEAUGE!! They can brake HARD if you need it. These are an autocross/track pad, so I know some people like to use them only when they go to track, and that's fine. For day to day driving, they will squeal because they're not hot enough and they make a lot of brake dust. If you're the kind of person that gets super annoyed by that, then maybe only use these for track. But if you track a lot, then you can live with these and brake dust shouldn't concern you; it's completely normal for that to happen.

For the money, I say get them if you're going to track your car and want a ROCK SOLID brake pad that won't fail you from 100mph-30mph constantly. If you chose to switch to them only for the track day, then that's up to you. BUT!!! Make sure the rest of your brake system can handle it too! You don't want to crack your rotors or boil your fluid.

Overall, I like these pads and I can't wait to try them at Buttonwillow this weekend. Since I only care about function, I don't mind the brake dust or squeal, but some people might mind it. If this bothers you, try the HPS pads since I've heard they don't squeal or make dust too much.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 23 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sammo115

You can only do so much braking for what your tires can do.

Good review none the less.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Classified is learning the way of the DClassified is learning the way of the D

Hawk make some wicked good pads. I was running Hawk HPS on my 3MPS I think you guys over there call it the Mazdaspeed3. I chose them over the + because of reduced dust and quieter, but they are almost as good as the +.

They have enormous amounts of modulation and take a beating quite well with almost no fade. Bone cold they were average at best but only a one or two light brakes from 40km/h-0km/h was enough to warm them enough to be a great street pad.
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness

I use those on the race CRX, great pads. Break dust like a mofo though and yes, they do take a few stops to get up to temp.

I'd suggest switching from the valvoline junk to something different, in my experiences the valvoline synthetic causes a very mushy pedal.
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

At least you are in warm CA. In the winter they can be a bit sketchy, with a definite split second of no breaks while they heat up. Just enough to exercise your sphincter.
I ran HP+ with brembo rotors and 215/XXR15 hankooks ventus r-s2. After getting use to them i could modulate them enough to leave tire tracks on the pavement, with out locking them up.
Great break pads.
CripTofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

hotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussiehotrodj is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

HP+'s are great stopping pads, but be ready to replace your rotors. And you'll be cleaning your wheels often, and they will corrode the wheels.

All in all, I still loved them.

Quote:
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hotrodj; 04-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

I use brake lube on back of pads and they dont squeak.

Im using HP+'s
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
I use brake lube on back of pads and they dont squeak.

Im using HP+'s
I did use that grease on the back of them and they still squeak.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
MuthaFuckaUppa

Rep Power: 17 CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
CripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcanoCripTofer is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
HP+'s are great stopping pads, but be ready to replace your rotors. And you'll be cleaning your wheels often, and they will corrode the wheels.

Forgot about that. Yeah replaced the Brembro rotors twice for every set of pads. (IIRC the rotors where cheaper than the pads so not a big deal?) I had black rims didn't care about the dust, just don't touch the rims.
CripTofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 gitzer will become famous soon enoughgitzer will become famous soon enoughgitzer will become famous soon enough

Yep i use the hawk pads with brembo blanks. No complaints other than the dust
gitzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I guess my next investment is some Brembo blanks.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....turboprelude95 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

For DD they were not bad but I hated them when it rain. They would fade like crazy once I did a few stops from 140mph.

If you like the hp+ next time take a look at KVR carbon pads, almost no dust, quite, no fade, also the iniale bite is less but more linear!

Jswap 4dr

Boost 4dr

Twin scrol

F2B
turboprelude95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 WrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatnessWrongWheelDrive is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperCivic View Post
I did use that grease on the back of them and they still squeak.
All mine have too, it's just normal. I personally don't mind it, but the cars near me always notice!

Quote:
Yup! I made the mistake of not cleaning my wheels for a few races in a row, I'll never get them looking clean again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperCivic View Post
I guess my next investment is some Brembo blanks.
Centrix rotors are cheap and work well too. Rock Auto has em.
WrongWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

auto zone or similer rotors...they carry a lifetime warranty...I plan to buy HP+ for this season. but from everyone I have talked to here that runs ginger man which is a fast track and they say cheap lifetime rotors work just as food and you can keep swapping them out for free

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I actually painted the teardrops on my wheels, so the brake dust gets on the paint and not the metal.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Speaking of hawk products, I'm in need of brakes and came across this:
What do you guys think about this package deal? Is that a good price?
Hawk HPS Performance Street Brake Pads Quiet Slot Rotors Kit HKF308350 Acura HON | eBay

I'm looking to find a "cheap as possible" setup but still good enough to see track/canyon monthly and was thinking of getting that (for say $150) ^ then matching up my rears with some centric cryogenic ones ($60) with hawk hps rear pads on ebay for ($50). These prices are from tire rack for an integra.
DavesLittleEG6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

I have to clean my wheels twice a week, they have good feel and bite for what little I exercise them but the brake dust is excessive imho
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Has anyone tried that wheel protecting clear coat that Dupli Color makes? I've just tried it and it's really too early to tell.

Also, how do the Autozone Duralast Gold brake rotors hold up on track days? I'm thinking about getting a pair before I go to my next track day, and they have a 3 year warranty on them. They're supposed to be hi-carbon ones that can dissipate heat better than normal rotors.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 maohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Boratmaohonda smells like Borat

Thumper if you look at the latest Honda tuning mag the guy from Eiboch is running a set on his race car so should hold up pretty good with some air ducks. He was 2nd fastest/ tied with 1st a s2k at button willow if I remember correctly

maohonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 19 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I have been running the HP+ for some time. Love them, swear by them. Only downsides are the noise, the fact that they rape your rotors pretty aggressively, and they dust a lot.
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in