Tool Review: King Brand Magic Eraser (sand blasting cabinet) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default Tool Review: King Brand Magic Eraser (sand blasting cabinet)

This is the thing:

This is what it does:

It does this for not a lot of money ($125ish if you shop around), without needing a huge amount of air:

It does leak a bit:

It it gets hard to see out of after using it for a while:

But it is still really useful and way better than blasting out in the open.

More pics and commentary here:

Beaver Built: Tool Review: King Brand Magic Eraser (Sandblasting cabinet)

And here:

Beaver Built: Mr. Clean ain't got nothin' on MY magic eraser!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Liking the rim stand lol.

And seems cool. If i had it i would probably be blasting everything just cuz lol.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

It works out to be a really decent height for me. Lol!

I've still got a lot to blast, so I haven't gotten to the "this is so cool what am I going to blast next" stage. Heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Thanks for the review Beav, this may very well be my next purchase!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Make sure you get an air line dryer. It keeps everything happy. Wet media is not happy media in this case.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

More sandblasting happened today. I'm tweaking the setup and it is becoming more efficient. I am pleased with this.

I took something that looked like this:

And made it look like this:

In much less time than it took to get the first FUCA done. GO me!

I also played around with this:

But wisely decided to stop so I could actually make forward progress with the front suspension pieces I need to get finished so I can put them on my CRX.

More rambling about what I did to make things go faster here:

Beaver Built: King Sandblaster Reigns! (Not Supreme, but reigns, nonetheless.)

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 NN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcano
NN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice stand...

I went with one of the HF ones when it was on sale and they were allowing the discount coupon to be used with it- just under $150 out the door for it! I rounded up some casters and welded a couple of bars to the legs to get it up to a height that was comfortable for me when standing; they also give me the ability to roll it around to clean and make media changes easier (just roll it out over the bucket & dump!).

A shop vac hooked up to exhaust the cabinet makes the leaking drop considerably, but be sure to make a bong for it to keep the filter from clogging too frequently. A 5 gallon bucket with appropriate tubing makes for a great water filter!

Instructions to make your own water filter
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

THAT is good information.

The bottom of mine comes to a point in two planes, not four, like that. It wouldn't dump as easily. That's the worst part of it, but for what I paid, it really isn't bad at all.

I'm impressed by the bong. That's pretty darn useful. If I was doing something more permanent, I'd totally do that. For now, I'll be leaky. LOL!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

NN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcano

Having the shop vac on while blasting also makes it much easier to see what you're doing in the cabinet... just something to consider!

Making one of the bongs is cheap- get a 5 gallon bucket from Firehouse Subs (pickle barrel for a couple of bucks) and some pipe & fittings from Home Depot. The amount of dust removed from the air in the cabinet by the shop vac will blow your mind!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I might see if I have enough around the house to coble something together. I'd love to be able to see better. I look like a retard currently, as I have my face pressed up against the "glass." LOL!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

It's worth the effort, no doubt about it. I bought a bucket from Home Depot the first time around & it was around $7. The wife & I went to Firehouse Subs and I picked up the pickle bucket for a $2 donation to their charity... it wasn't the last one I've bought (I've got the things everywhere around here now)! You can't get a 5 gallon bucket for less anywhere. My biggest expense was the fittings, as I just cut a piece of my existing hose figuring I'd pick up some more at a later point since it was starting to get pretty beat up from shop use anyway. The hose between the cabinet and bong is the smaller 2" stuff to try and increase the velocity from the cabinet into the top of the drop pipe - don't know that it made that much difference from the full 3" hose, but the difference between using the vac or not is very apparent. Doesn't your cabinet have a fitting on it to hook an exhaust hose to? If so, connecting it all together is a breeze; you'll never want to use the cabinet without a vac hooked up & running again!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
Zer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcanoZer0DazE is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice, I need one of these, or want one... but is there really a difference between need and want? Nope.

My car hates me.

Zer0DazE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Yes, there is a huge difference. Most people don't bother to make the difference noticeable, though. I think that is a huge issue with humanity.

Anyway, it is super useful. I like it a lot. It works and for the price, it works better than expected given the limitations with my air supply.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yep, the ease of cleaning with a blasting cabinet vs wire brushing or chemical cleaning is a definite plus to me and I had used one at work for a good ten years or more before I was able to convince myself to pop for one because of the space and cash involved. I definitely had a need for it, but I didn't necessarily want it bad enough to spend the cash or commit the floor space until HF put that sucker on sale cheaply enough. It didn't hurt that I had finally decided how to make it mobile, either...

I think that your results are excellent for not having a good view of what you're doing in the cabinet and such a limited air supply. I actually added a couple of portable air tanks into my first setup with it to allow a more balanced compressor run time with a small 20 gallon tank setup. It was nowhere near as efficient as a nice 60 gal. tank due to the limitations of 1/2" hose and 1/4" pipe fittings, but it did give the compressor a rest while blasting manifolds and such.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I think that the good results are mostly an accident.

I do think that I'll implement your suggestions. I can at least hook up my small shop back directly and see how that does. I'll scrounge around for a bucket to use for a bong.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I can at least hook up my small shop back directly and see how that does.
If you can, stretch a pantyhose leg around the filter for a pre-filter on the vac before running it to keep the finer dust from getting past the main filter. I don't know that it helps that much, but it was a suggestion made to me when I was looking for a way to protect the vacuum prior to my finding the bong idea.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

Awesome, I miss having access to a media blaster. Auto tech school was the best of times.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN4S View Post
If you can, stretch a pantyhose leg around the filter for a pre-filter on the vac before running it to keep the finer dust from getting past the main filter. I don't know that it helps that much, but it was a suggestion made to me when I was looking for a way to protect the vacuum prior to my finding the bong idea.
That's a great idea! Thanks again!

Guest-
There is no better or worse time than this very moment. The choice is yours.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

So I found a limitation of the cabinet yesterday, given my lack of dust extraction:

I couldn't see jack doing the spindles, as I couldn't keep them lifted up close enough to the window to see WTF I was doing.

I tried doing this:

which worked for a while, but then this happened:

So I'm going to have keep trying some more stuff. I really want to try a bong setup now. I also want to get more light into the cabinet, too. That will help a bunch, I think. I don't need to see super clearly, just enough to tell where I am aiming.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

The good thing about the bong is that you avoid that filter clogging. I take it you had at least a few minutes of good viewing prior to the filter clog?

A good light will make seeing what you're doing in the cabinet easier- maybe do it with one of the new super-bright LEDs for the best lighting for the buck. Get some cheap polycarbonate sheet (thin, clear, disposable) from Home Depot and cut it in small strips to fit in front of the lens to protect your light; this will take the beating from the media and when it starts to get so fogged that the light is dimmed you just swap that piece out for another. You don't even have to get fancy- just wrap it in place with duct tape if nothing else. I prefer to hold the light in place with a couple of bolts, then use a couple of long screws to hold the plastic over it with some foam strip between the lens and the strip.

Between this and the bong, you'll be amazed at how much better you can see what you're doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in