Projector head lights... like what the heck? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
phuzion420

Default Projector head lights... like what the heck?

Okay, so i just bought and installed a new set of projector headlights for my civic. but i've got issues. for some dumb reason, i thought they would project beams like an HID conversion. but they dont. instead, there are beams every where. the main beams come from the bulbs and light the middle of the road, while there are less brighter beams that light up everywhere else (maybe because light's reflecting off the chrome housing?) and it makes it look like there are gaps in my lighting system. i'm not sure if its supposed to look like this or what? but now, i'm starting to feel like it was a waste of my $$$. someone explain to me why this is happening.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 mongose99 is learning the way of the Dmongose99 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I dont have an explaination really, but maybe just get brighter bulbs. I have a set of projectors and they came with 55watt bulbs, but i bought "off road only" 100w bulbs and put them in. It works alot better with the brighter bulbs. P.S. Projectors seem to suck in the rain... they reflect off the road instead of lighting it up.
mongose99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

projectors r shit, i have em ages ago. vison is shit!!
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 lilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the communitylilred  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Aussie
projectors r shit, i have em ages ago. vison is shit!!
i disagree!!! I have tyc projectors on mine and now i can see!!! they are just more focused in a smaller area

perhaps you have some real cheapies and they suck, maybe adjust where the beams project, dont know what to tell ya
lilred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
cadsii

i got TYCs the real shit with the card
280$ but they look like HIDs (seriously) straight line cutoff and even light everywhere.. you get what you pay for
Old 06-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
kensi95

yeah i would have to say the same i have tyc on my 95si and the light output is way better then stock and with the right bulbs they can be even better and i only paind 215$
Old 06-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
ABTsportsline

i have TYC coupe lights on my sedan.... and they suck. eventually i will sell these and get regular HIDs on my stock headlights - thats the setup i had on my last car, and it worked better than the "projector" aftermarket headlights.

this is just another case of a regular company cheaping down the product... in the old VW scene, a set of Hella projector headlights was around 500 bucks, but they were true projectors.

now you can buy these TYC and APC projector headlights (not to mention the generic "halo" ones) for under $150..... these aren't true projector headlights, just headlights with projector lenses and 55w bulbs.

so yeah, either do the 100w upgrade, or spend your money on an actual HID kit that retro fits with your stock headlights.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 civic2thaflo will become famous soon enoughcivic2thaflo will become famous soon enoughcivic2thaflo will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

also alot of people say its good to have the aftermarket projectors to retro fit the audi or bmw projectors. just did some searching on the web thanks to this thread
civic2thaflo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
ridin on rotas

Rep Power: 16 gftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to allgftgrill is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gftgrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic2thaflo
also alot of people say its good to have the aftermarket projectors to retro fit the audi or bmw projectors. just did some searching on the web thanks to this thread
that's what I'm doing as soon as I get the money to buy the projectors.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
kensi95

what tyc projectors have you seen for 150 and mine have a super clean cutoff and are bright as hell because i have silverstar light bulbs on ebay then you have to pay shipping i guess maybe you just got a sucky pair of lights and i hope you know you can adjust the lens and the cutoff on the projectors most people dont know that

Last edited by kensi95; 06-08-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

tyc isnt cheap. a buddy of mine is a wholesale distributor for car parts. ive seen numerous products from them and they do quality stuff. alot of people i know love their tyc projectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 civic2thaflo will become famous soon enoughcivic2thaflo will become famous soon enoughcivic2thaflo will become famous soon enough

its just too bad they don't make anything for 4drs
Old 07-01-2005, 05:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hondaluver is learning the way of the Dhondaluver is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

The only good comapny who cares about the way their projector headlights shine is TYC. Their one-piece headlights are projector and surpass the quality of light of any other one piece projector for the Civic's.
hondaluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have projectors on my 2000 civic and their shit, my vision is very horrible and the light just goes in all directions and at the ground. The brand is Generation 3 i think. I have some scratches on the casing so i think thats why they dont work very well.
00civicsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wolven

For anyone in NORCAL, You can get 10k HIDs for about $375, and they r an improvement over the projectors, in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

http://www.hidplanet.com/main.html

this is a good site for true hid projectors to just swap out the old, they also have lots of info on installation of the retro kits.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
What Da Problem Is

love my projectors, just make sure you adjust them or they will shine everywhere, with mine i can see ten times better i love it.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via AIM to legomyEG6o

what bulb work best in the projector lights? h1 55w, h2 55w, h3? how about the silverstars?
legomyEG6o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

IMO use tyc projectors with both the high and low beam piaa bulbs.

h3's:
USA - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html
Japan - http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=346

h1's
USA - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H1.html
Japan - http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=347

i had a set of the old school denji projectors which took an h3 low and h1 high. i ran piaa super plasma h3's and picked up a set of super plasma h1 from ebay (the h1 SP's were only available from japan thru importers like options auto, ICB Motorsport, etc.). everyone swore my projectors looked just like hid's. the high beams were non-projector open face style like the tyc's and were insanely bright. they were like hid headlights from a 2002 TL

i have always liked piaa bulbs and run them all the time. reason is even though the power consumption rating for the bulb is say 55W, the light output would be like 80-90W equivalent. so you get the bright light without the massive power draw of large wattage bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 09-21-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in