harbor freight 20ton shop press - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default harbor freight 20ton shop press

I always go to harbor freight at least once a week and buy random shit i dont need.
Well i was working on my car and needed new bushing on my tl which apparently need new bushing every 30k miles and new pressure switches at the same time as preventative maintenance lol, anyone looking for one do not buy a 04-06 one please unless its a 6 speed.

called local shop and they wanted 180-240 to press them out. 6 bushing total. I was like fuck that went to harbor freight and got the press for a little under $160. the 12 ton have shitty reviews but was significantly cheaper. I went with the 20 ton

it was pretty typical hf shit. their welds and bolts are always shitty but they work so who cares. assembled in a couple minutes and pressed the new bushing in less time it would take me to go to the shop and back. overall a very cool tool to buy and works great. Even though ill never use it again most likely but for 160 bucks i can throw it away when it breaks.

I'd rate it a 9.5/10 for what you get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

theotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcanotheotherchris is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Do the new Honda/acuras still use press hubs/bearings?
theotherchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 20 the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!the hoove is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

May spring for one of these here soon.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 teg ( new project)
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys with d series motors under the hood.

R.I.P Pat PRIMMER! You will be missed.

RIP Paul Walker.
R.I.P. NN4S.
RIP Cali-N00b.
the hoove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

^Same here
Old 10-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 PPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatnessPPorting is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PPorting

I picked up the 12 ton hf press back in the day, 5 years later little guys still going strong, had some sketch moments, broke a couple things with it but works pretty well,
PPorting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubie View Post
Do the new Honda/acuras still use press hubs/bearings?
no idea
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPorting View Post
I picked up the 12 ton hf press back in the day, 5 years later little guys still going strong, had some sketch moments, broke a couple things with it but works pretty well,
yeah i looked at the 12 ton and then the 6 ton i knew all of them would get the job done but for what I was saving from the shops charging me might as well spent that money on the biggest one. I personally never had issues with bushing and whatnot but alot of my freinds always need bushing and we get charged liek 20 dollars a bushing. now we can just do them for free
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Scott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the skyScott53092 is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

<---- Acura tech.

I'm assuming it was the compliance bushings on the lower control arms?

And pressure switches aren't something I see TOO often, usually mdx's and pre 04 tl's. Auto tranny's straight suck in those though. If you have an 04/05 you are probably fighting rear inside tire wear all the time too.

Follow me on instagram: bumperdumperscott
Scott53092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

HF Fan too. Was thinking about a press until I made an S shape out of a solid pry bar. I am in good shape but that thing twisted relatively easy. LOL
So was holding out. Good to hear a good review. Thanks
DownDDrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 14 NN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcano
NN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcanoNN4S is hot as a volcano

I like mine- been using it for many years now with the stock arbor plates even though some folks have had issues with theirs. I modified the press so the crossbar would stay aligned through its travel with some ball headed thrust screws and it was well worth the effort! (Prior post describing mod.)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

That is a very good idea. I'll have to do that to mine, eventually.

I got one a few weeks ago. It's been a lifesaver doing double flares on brake lines. Couldn't get them with the hand tool, used the anvil and clamp bar in the press. Came out super well.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott53092 View Post
<---- Acura tech.

I'm assuming it was the compliance bushings on the lower control arms?

And pressure switches aren't something I see TOO often, usually mdx's and pre 04 tl's. Auto tranny's straight suck in those though. If you have an 04/05 you are probably fighting rear inside tire wear all the time too.
yeah that control arm bushing. On the forums its a common thing to change every 30k miles while i have not noticed a difference I know of alot of poeple that say it has helped their transmission shift into gears although ive never had a shifting problem either. I have a problem where the transmission will clunk into reverse like its on an incline. from neutral its fine though

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN4S View Post
I like mine- been using it for many years now with the stock arbor plates even though some folks have had issues with theirs. I modified the press so the crossbar would stay aligned through its travel with some ball headed thrust screws and it was well worth the effort! (Prior post describing mod.)
yeah the stock plates are pretty sketchy I was scared as shit using them lol.
If they shatter I dont think the outcome will be pretty. Ill prob do a mod on it soon enough to get rid of the play maybe add like cutting board material inside the tabs

Last edited by v8killaz; 10-27-2013 at 04:19 PM.
v8killaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 rider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

I bought my 20 ton for wheel bearing and new hubs. Works like a champ.

Old -
rider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
I always go to harbor freight at least once a week and buy random shit i dont need.
Well i was working on my car and needed new bushing on my tl which apparently need new bushing every 30k miles and new pressure switches at the same time as preventative maintenance lol, anyone looking for one do not buy a 04-06 one please unless its a 6 speed.

called local shop and they wanted 180-240 to press them out. 6 bushing total. I was like fuck that went to harbor freight and got the press for a little under $160. the 12 ton have shitty reviews but was significantly cheaper. I went with the 20 ton

it was pretty typical hf shit. their welds and bolts are always shitty but they work so who cares. assembled in a couple minutes and pressed the new bushing in less time it would take me to go to the shop and back. overall a very cool tool to buy and works great. Even though ill never use it again most likely but for 160 bucks i can throw it away when it breaks.

I'd rate it a 9.5/10 for what you get

why? that sounds right to me.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 24 HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!HiProfile is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

When you can buy a tool for the same price and do it in the same amount of time, many people will buy the tool.

I have the same press (good ol' single 25% off coupon!) and it works great. I had some older civic LCA's it would not press the bushings out of, but I think I just pussed out on how much pressure it would take to get them moving. I also didn't have my lathe yet, so I had to fake the pressing tool to press the installed bushing squarely. It's done everything else I've asked of it, including pressing in new bushings & bearings.

One thing I want to do is fab up a "press brake". It basically turns it into a metal bending press, and this model is shown doing 1/4" steel bars at 90*.

Last edited by HiProfile; 11-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.
HiProfile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiProfile View Post
When you can buy a tool for the same price and do it in the same amount of time, many people will buy the tool.

I have the same press (good ol' single 25% off coupon!) and it works great. I had some older civic LCA's it would not press the bushings out of, but I think I just pussed out on how much pressure it would take to get them moving. I also didn't have my lathe yet, so I had to fake the pressing tool to press the installed bushing squarely. It's done everything else I've asked of it, including pressing in new bushings & bearings.

One thing I want to do is fab up a "press brake". It basically turns it into a metal bending press, and this model is shown doing 1/4" steel bars at 90*.
for sure
I go on slickdeals and get the 30% off and free item every week i go up to harbor freight. works out well.

I think this thing has enough power bend the civic lca 90 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	193690d1119499713-what-can-i-do-my-20-ton-press-press.jpg
Views:	10977
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	54578  
Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 rider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enoughrider5000 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Never thought of using it as a brake press. Dang I'm looking into that now..

Old -
rider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
for sure
I go on slickdeals and get the 30% off and free item every week i go up to harbor freight. works out well.

I think this thing has enough power bend the civic lca 90 degrees
holy crap dude that is an awesome idea!!!
Zombex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in