Magnaflow Catalytic Converter - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to colelmt
Default Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

Here is my review 1 week after installation.

First off, the Magnaflow Cataclytic Converter states "direct fit" It is not a direct fit. I had to file down my cat-to-downpipe bolts so that they could fit through the holes in the cat

Secondly the springs now were too big to allow the bolt through to start a thread. This led to me spending a good deal of time cutting three rings off the springs with a hacksaw (I wish I could say that was fun....)

Also, the back of the new Cat did not have attached bolts like the OEM one has . So I had to get some bolts, washers and nuts from Ace Hardware. Right now I am saying, "Direct fit my ass; and I am pissed at this P.O.S. F-Magnaflow...." etc... lol I'm not really that mad in the long run though. (It's better than OEM $500 cat replacement).

To top it all off, with this jerry rigged setup, I have steadily been having a louder and louder car and it is now sounding like Rice and I am not too pleased. I went under just now and tightened all my bolts. Hopefully this solves the loudness which is probably a steadily increasing exhaust leak in my opinion. Ill update with any info

Either way I am a little irritated that it claimed to be direct-fit.

Another funny thing: There was a little piece of paper in the box that told me to follow the "Installation Instructions". There were no Installation Instructions.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D16Z6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 10-19-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Last sentence addition
colelmt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

You don't cut the springs, you have to compress them to get nut started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

The bolts on the back of the oem cat come out too, 18176-P08-003 is the part number for them.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 0 colelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's assholecolelmt is worse than Satan's asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Even with the springs compressed all the way with vice grips, the bolt will not go all the way through to start a thread with the nut. Here is what's left of the exhaust bolt springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDNA View Post
The bolts on the back of the oem cat come out too, 18176-P08-003 is the part number for them.
That's cool I didn't realize that (I corrected that statement in my first post). But, even so, there is nowhere for the OEM bolts to thread into the Magnaflow converter.... = Lame & Not "Direct-Fit"

This video shows someone with the exact same issue for his DC2 integra:

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 10-19-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Condensing three posts
Old 10-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

That is as direct fit as it gets. You are just showing how very little experience you have with aftermarket exhaust parts. And also, the bolt you filed down isn't supposed to go all the way through. Cutting the springs and filing the bolt is why you have an exhaust leak.

So, as a review of your review, I find you uninformed, ignorant and should be more mad at yourself than at the Cat, which is an excellently made product. They don't include stupid stud bolts because those SUCK if you have to take the cat off again, and in most cars, the nuts for those need to get cut or burned off when installing a new cat. I always use stainless bolts in exhaust installs to prevent most of this nonsense from happening again.

So, Magnaflow Cats get a thumbs up.

Your install gets a thumbs down.

Your review gets two thumbs down.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
That is as direct fit as it gets. You are just showing how very little experience you have with aftermarket exhaust parts. And also, the bolt you filed down isn't supposed to go all the way through. Cutting the springs and filing the bolt is why you have an exhaust leak.

So, as a review of your review, I find you uninformed, ignorant and should be more mad at yourself than at the Cat, which is an excellently made product. They don't include stupid stud bolts because those SUCK if you have to take the cat off again, and in most cars, the nuts for those need to get cut or burned off when installing a new cat. I always use stainless bolts in exhaust installs to prevent most of this nonsense from happening again.

You don't know what you're talking about. Try watching the video. I expect to hear something rude and negative every time I see a post by you. Have a nice day peace.

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 559civic_dx is hot as a volcano559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
559civic_dx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 21 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by colelmt View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. Try watching the video. I expect to hear something rude and negative every time I see a post by you. Have a nice day peace.
I'm sorry but this is the most ignorant post I've seen In my life he knows exactly what he is talking about. You have a cat that is the size it's supposed to be you didn't have to cut or weld anything I'd say u had it made installing this cat converter. If you had to grind ur bolts to make it work it's probably because it wasn't meant to be used with the stock bolts wich also would have saved you the trouble of cutting those springs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

my 1996 hatch build in progress

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
[B]R.I.P. CALI NOOB
559civic_dx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So I went back under and tightened everything. Still loud and sounds like rice. The noise is the worse in the resonator behind the cat. Maybe more airflow is bringing out other problems from my 20 year old exhaust.

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 10-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

why the hell did you waste your time filing your bolts? lol

so they dont fit? big deal. get different bolt. OR not be retarded and ream the damn hole bigger.

would take 5 seconds with a dremel.

lol next time take it to a shop they will do it for you.

civicdxude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559civic_dx View Post
I'm sorry but this is the most ignorant post I've seen In my life he knows exactly what he is talking about. You have a cat that is the size it's supposed to be you didn't have to cut or weld anything I'd say u had it made installing this cat converter. If you had to grind ur bolts to make it work it's probably because it wasn't meant to be used with the stock bolts wich also would have saved you the trouble of cutting those springs

You must also not have watched the first 20 seconds of the video above.

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdxude View Post
why the hell did you waste your time filing your bolts? lol

so they dont fit? big deal. get different bolt. OR not be retarded and ream the damn hole bigger.

would take 5 seconds with a dremel.

lol next time take it to a shop they will do it for you.
I don't have a dremel. And didn't feel like paying to solve a problem I could myself for free.

D16Z6

EJ255

Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I think it is weird that my Exhaust Pipe B is sounding like a fart after all this. Any ideas? Honestly, after reading about aftermarket catalytic converters I have come to the assumption that most catalytic converters are going to be louder than an OEM one. I'll probably do some more research though.

D16Z6

EJ255

Last edited by colelmt; 10-20-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Exhaust Pipe B not Resonator
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559civic_dx View Post

Well, that's odd. The last time I put a catalyst on a Civic/Integra, those bolts were supposed to go through the flange at the front of the cat. The flange on the exhaust manifold or header is a different story.

While Beave may know what he is talking about in a lot of instances, he seems to think he has earned the right to be a prick and talk down to just about everyone. It gets kind of old IMO, but maybe that's just me.

snm95ls is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyrock View Post
Well said because ain't nobody got time for that
What is your mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD
Magic Johnson fucked bitches for years and thought he was a champ....
kingyeddi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Rep Power: 17 kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!
kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!kingyeddi is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Honestly, I'm just trolling the forum. It's been a couple years since I've been on. I always liked this site because everyone seemed to be friendly. I've been on too many forums that have fallen by the wayside because there are too many ignorant people on them that bash for every little thing rather than offering help. Mostly Honda forums.
Oic. That's a relief. Must admit, I was about to join the flame fest

Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Quote:
People like The Beaver thrive on tearing others down. Probably because of abnormally low self-esteem and self-worth.
I find it quite entertaining lol Especially when it's some lazy n00b asking to be soon fed information from a commonly discussed topic

Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
People like The Beaver thrive on tearing others down. Probably because of abnormally low self-esteem and self-worth.
What did you come back on here to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

Nice?

Me?

Oooookay.

Did I miss a memo that says everyone had to be nice instead of correct?

I am only a prick to those who won't accept correction.

For the record, if I'm wrong I at least admit it freely.

Also for the record, go cry to someone else.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
凸(◕_◕)凸

Quote:
What did you come back on here to sell?

I herd it was rare parts.. overnighted from Japan

Quote:
Nice?

Me?

Oooookay.

Did I miss a memo that says everyone had to be nice instead of correct?

I am only a prick to those who won't accept correction.

For the record, if I'm wrong I at least admit it freely.

Also for the record, go cry to someone else.
pwned

Quote:
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to krychek57 Send a message via MSN to krychek57 Send a message via Yahoo to krychek57

I'm going to just comment on the install.

Direct fit my ass.

I too had to cut springs and force shit in, It was garbage. Once on though, it worked as expected for a $100 part.

Quote:
This was not possible with the garbage fitment on the gasket. The springs were simply too long due to a poor mount bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Well, that's odd. The last time I put a catalyst on a Civic/Integra, those bolts were supposed to go through the flange at the front of the cat. The flange on the exhaust manifold or header is a different story.
Indeed it does, on a decent Cat.

Quote:

Based on my experience with this exact installation and product. You are out of line.

Last edited by krychek57; 10-21-2013 at 09:51 AM.
krychek57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in