SPC sliding balljoint, upper - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default SPC sliding balljoint, upper

What it does: Replaces upper control arm balljoint with sliding unit for camber adjustment.

Vehicle: 1989 Honda CRX Si.

Purchased online about a year ago, not eBay, about $150 for the pair.

Preparation: Remove old welded on balljoint- air hammer with chisel tip takes about 1 minute. I cleaned the burrs with a die grinder and an alum oxide stone.

Installation: Each balljoint has an upper and lower sliding plate, nut, washer, and the balljoint. Instructions say it just clamps together when you run the nut down on the stud. Tough to do. I think it would be better to jig and weld the unit to the arm. It's up to you to align it perpendicular to the bushing centerline axis. Also, you have to align the upper and lower plates to each other; no indexing pin.

On the car: The upper plate has 5 lines scribed along the slot where the stud slides. The instructions don't say what they indicate, degrees maybe, but I'm not sure. Doesn't matter anyway, as they can't be seen once the car is back on the ground. The new balljoint is about 50% longer, thus the control arm is pushed up past the body seam, dangerously close to the top of the cavity. This also puts the balljoint at a severe angle.
Since the arm is now so far up, access to the adjustment nut is lost. How does one adjust this thing with the car on it's wheels?

Summary: Unacceptable! I suspect that severe suspension movement would have the control arm contacting the body. I also dislike the angle the joint sits at, it could be a safety issue. I will change these out as soon as I can get new control arms or conventional balljoints.
Lule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Send a message via Yahoo to D15VtecLessCr-x Send a message via Skype™ to D15VtecLessCr-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lule
What it does: Replaces upper control arm balljoint with sliding unit for camber adjustment.

Vehicle: 1989 Honda CRX Si.

Purchased online about a year ago, not eBay, about $150 for the pair.

Preparation: Remove old welded on balljoint- air hammer with chisel tip takes about 1 minute. I cleaned the burrs with a die grinder and an alum oxide stone.

Installation: Each balljoint has an upper and lower sliding plate, nut, washer, and the balljoint. Instructions say it just clamps together when you run the nut down on the stud. Tough to do. I think it would be better to jig and weld the unit to the arm. It's up to you to align it perpendicular to the bushing centerline axis. Also, you have to align the upper and lower plates to each other; no indexing pin.

On the car: The upper plate has 5 lines scribed along the slot where the stud slides. The instructions don't say what they indicate, degrees maybe, but I'm not sure. Doesn't matter anyway, as they can't be seen once the car is back on the ground. The new balljoint is about 50% longer, thus the control arm is pushed up past the body seam, dangerously close to the top of the cavity. This also puts the balljoint at a severe angle.
Since the arm is now so far up, access to the adjustment nut is lost. How does one adjust this thing with the car on it's wheels?

Summary: Unacceptable! I suspect that severe suspension movement would have the control arm contacting the body. I also dislike the angle the joint sits at, it could be a safety issue. I will change these out as soon as I can get new control arms or conventional balljoints.
I had kinda the same problem with my Drop Zone Extreme camber kits... its actually designed to move the whole control arm forward or back depending on camber adjustment. But the point im making is, I had to Literally cut away my control arm to increase the amount of movement the control arm can make so that it does NOT hit the wheel well. I wondering now if the lower ball joint design from SPC is better than all this...
D15VtecLessCr-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2005, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

thanks for heads up.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2005, 02:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough

Believe me, my pleasure! A $150 whack. Just didn't want anyone else taken in.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

as far as camber kits im happy with my skunk2 upper arms
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
90si

Yes the camber options for the ef suck.
I tried both types , ball replacemnt found the ball to long crap
the sliding arm type aka moves the pivot point down & out so you hit your
frame & lose suspension stroke.
The bushing replacemnt one was my last pick and should have been 1st...
it replaces the bushing where the upper arms bolt to the brackets that hold the uca
to the chassis , (breeth) with cam bolts ..imho they are the "LEAST" of a pita
to adjust once on the car , I bought a 17mm wrench & ground it thinner to
be able to get into the cavity where you can adjust..pita
BUT it did not have the uca jammed into my chassis and the price was not INSANE
AND I got camber under control with a set of sportlines...
SPC part no# 84700 , you need 2 comes for each side.
Hope this helps
http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/C_P...d2=84700&cmd3=
peace
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2005, 03:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
gonzo

What I really want is that engineers head on a stick! I threw those damn things away a couple of weeks ago. You get a weird feeling tossing $150 into the trashcan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in