Vibrant Catch Can 12688 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Thumbs down Vibrant Catch Can 12688

So, I was under the impression that this can was versatile with its upper and lower ports. With my Bseries engine having ports on the back, My catchcan was filling up with oil. (The fittings tend to blow oil alot)

So, After going back and forth in my head about the Vibrant can, the filter addition, and also the fittings needed, It was close to 200 bucks for everything including hose.

I like the design as I can use the lower port for a drainback after oil blows into it.

Well, today I get the can. I start putting it all together (teflon tape on all plugs which are made of plastic) and I find the 1/2" NPT to AN fitting doesnt screw all the way into the can. Leaving at least half the threads exposed. Now using 90* hose fittings on top of that leaves the nipple part 4-5" away from the can.
WTF!

Next is the Vibrant Filter option. Well the fitler is so small that it makes the whole thing look like a cheap chinese ebay unit for 20 bucks. Not a can that I just spent 200 bucks on.

Im just going to have to return it and loop my block fittings until I fond something thats worth a shit.

On to the pic:
would you guys pay 200 bucks and have it look like this?

People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 dseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to alldseriesboulder is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Yea..looks like a cheap can. Send it back and build your own. Their is a thread on here sonehwere about making one. A good one I mean.. not the coke bottle thing or whatever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

instagram @theerroneouspenguin
dseriesboulder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 15 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Definitely not looking like a $200 catch can setup.

I'd be downright upset too!

I appreciate the review though, informative.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Damn man, now I feel bad for buying your old one

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

What's inside of it?
The outside I can build easy and way cheaper then $200 but how does the inside work and look?

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

^^
Inside is totally open. I have foam media I was going to use as a baffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
Damn man, now I feel bad for buying your old one
I feel bad for selling it before this one showed up :smackself:

I sent vibrant an email about this as well

Last edited by Esotericimage; 08-28-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
^^
Inside is totally open. I have foam media I was going to use as a baffle.

I feel bad for selling it before this one showed up :smackself:

I sent vibrant an email about this as well
Damn. You could of just gotten a stright pipe and welded the ends close and an fittings on the sides. I thin 10an steel fittings are like $10 each.

I was thinking about buying one of these but decided I would make my own when I had the time.

. RIP

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

fucking hell, $200 for that?? :0
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

That was the price with the Twist Tite hose..

Not to worry.. Its all going back and I PM'd Greg @ Autoworks to have one fabbed up just the way I want it.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

No answer from greg.. So since no one wants to sell me what i need, I decided to keep the can and use it the way I need it to work.
With the back of block plugs on the Bseries tends to blow alot of oil into the can, theres nothing wrong with this oil, so a drain back is what Im looking for.

This is just one of the set backs of having a great spot to vent pressure. Most all cans dont have a drain back besides Endyne's modded Moroso can and modded OEM fittings. when your engine fills up your can, its a pain in the butt to keep emptying it. I just needed something to vent pressure and let the oil roll back into the block.

This can has a small mounting bracket which fits on firewall next to battery tray (where the old fuel filter used to be) which is perfect.

I ordered 1/2" NPT male hose fittings to go right into the bottom part of the can. I used foam as baffling towards the top of the can and left 1/3rd of the bottom part open. So when oil does blow into the can it will stay at the bottom.
The foam will let the air pass thru the foam while leaving the oil to drip down. (copper Chor-boy or steel wool will do the same) When the pressure drops off when at lower engine speeds, the oil will drip back down into the engine.

onto the pics:

Some foam media I used

Heres it is with some room for oil to get into the can

Since the 3/4 nipple fitting is 20 and filter is another 20, im leaving the top open

Summit sent me wrong fittings, but this is what it will look like

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Looks great. I still don't thing it's worth $200.

. RIP

Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

The can itself was 98 @ Summit. I returned the hose, fittings and filter.

My new hose fittings cost 9ea bringing the total to under 120.

I will say its a small price to pay for a can that can mount where i need it to.
I found that most all the cans being sold online and thru DSO sponsors do not show the mounting option.
Nothing like blowing your cash and getiing it at your door to find it needs 5" of flat surface to mount. I went thru this twice.
This vibrant has a smaller tab that fits where i want it.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I have the nrg can. Its a closed system that I drilled out a large port on the top and installed a mini breather filter (either k&N or mr gasket) orks great and half that price. but I went 10k miles and only had a 1/8th or less of the can full

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

are you vented on back of the block?

With my old can, it was vented and after a few high RPM runs, i cam home to find it was full. So i got tired of having to check it every weekend. This way it drains back and vents and i dont have to deal with it.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

I have a can identical to that but its mfactorys. Its noway worth 200 bucks!
If you wanted to buy something from greg why not call? I ran one of his and couldn't have been happier with it

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Well his cans have ports on top. I wanted my ports to pretty much upside down. I sent him a PM and since my block doesnt have anything at the moment to stop the oil/vent. I needed something in the wind asap. I didnt hear anything fast enough so I kept the can.

Plus I didnt see any pics of how his can mounts. B&R fitting has a can as well but doesnt show mounting area. I wouldve been happy to use gregs can, but if he had to make one asap, it might not have gotten to me in time. The Mfactory can looks nice, but would need modification to vent it. After drilling and tapping, adding fittings, it wasnt cost feasible.

I have a exhaust appt friday and dyno appt saturday.

EDIT::

I just want to point out that the 200 bucks was Can, all Fittings, Fitler option and Twist tite hose which added up to 18X.XX.
The Vibrant can itself was 98

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-02-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericimage View Post
are you vented on back of the block?

With my old can, it was vented and after a few high RPM runs, i cam home to find it was full. So i got tired of having to check it every weekend. This way it drains back and vents and i dont have to deal with it.
Yes block is vented.i was on a stock blackbox going into the catchcan....i know have the black box cut up and used the mounting points and the provision to go in the block. I then welded a barbed fitting to it. Bolted it on and ran a 5/8 hose to the catch can. But oil has a long way to travel uphill to the catchcan. But i havent noticed any excess build up in the can

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
mmmmm sexy bay

Rep Power: 50 jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !jimmyb34 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyb34

Makes complete sense. When ya gotta have it ya gotta have it!

jimmyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Those big ports make that can salvageable.

A little tweak here and there. Think about a way to add some baffling inside of there. Maybe a chopped and twisted (lol) soda can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerD View Post
Those big ports make that can salvageable.

A little tweak here and there. Think about a way to add some baffling inside of there. Maybe a chopped and twisted (lol) soda can?
This foam shown is what wouldnt fit inside. Theres alot squeezed in there. I blew into the lower ports and its fine. Theres no chance of oil going up 8-9" and blowing out the top. If this was tracked where Im up in the RPMs then I could see it. but i think it'll be fine.

the top port is 3/4 NPT so its enough to let it breathe

Perrin which is with the Subaru crowd uses this foam in their catchcan kit.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 09-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in