AEM TruTime 5 Bolt adjustable cam gear... BROKEN. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down AEM TruTime 5 Bolt adjustable cam gear... BROKEN.

Hello everyone, I'm a n00b to the forum. I was never really into this kind of stuff until I realized how much information there is to offer from a site like this. So, I'm glad to finally be a part of it all. lol

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.

I just recently had a VERY similar predicament as to what reallyhighcivic94 went through on his post here -
https://www.d-series.org/forums/produ...ar-broken.html

I installed an AEM 5 bolt TruTime cam gear on my mini-me swap (D15b8 block - d16z6 head - Del Sol Si 5 speed tranny) on February 5th, 2013. It was nice while it lasted.... A WHOPPING 4 MONTHS. Rough estimate of around 2,200 miles on it as the car doesn't really get driven much.

My brother was driving my 94 hatch the past Friday night when all of a sudden he heard a loud clunk, bogging down, then the engine just stopped. He said he was cruising at 60mph on the highway when it happened. I think that's probably about 2500 RPM or so?

I'm pretty pissed to say the least. AEM is a pretty well-know manufacturer, and the cam gear cost me I think about $95. I looked it up, and quite a few people have had this happen to them.

I pulled the head off the block this weekend to inspect the damages, and the valves definitely had a date with the pistons that night. They're pretty bent up and out of shape.

Big thanks to my dad for coming to the rescue with his tow dolly. He bought it last year and has not had a use for it yet. Unfortunately, the hatch gets the honor of breaking it in. :/

Here are some pictures

c-brooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Last edited by c-brooker; 06-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

damn that sucks, how old was the cam gear? an looks like time for new valves
89c1vicdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Bought it brand new February of this year. About 2,200 miles on it.

Not sure if I wanna build it up again or just go with a d15b head and call it a day.

I'm still pretty upset about it all. I would have never guessed that this would happen.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....89c1vicdx It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

id give them a call and tell them they need to cover some of the cost and send a new cam gear. since its their product that failed an caused a lot of damage.
89c1vicdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 8 Sleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the communitySleeper Si  is accepted as part of the community

are those cam gears casted? sucks to hear about your mishap.
Sleeper Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired From Hondas

Rep Power: 37 Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Esotericimage is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

holy shit would I be pissed.

Heres my theory and correct me if Im wrong:

You pay a premium price for name brand parts because they are supposed to be top of the line..People race em', put them thru the paces and the manufacturer is marketing their parts as race worthy.

you guys following me here..

Well id say 90% of the honda community are either Noobs or Hobbyist.. They arent hot lapping or doing 30+ laps on a road course.. These parts should hold up to day to day usage.
I will admit I have S2 bseries gears on my build at the moment, but i havent cranked the new engine yet.
But my point being is These brands who used to be quality, are now low quality shit like OBX,BLOX,Megen, _______ <insert your brand here

And the problem is when they fail, no one pays except the hobbyist/noob who look up to these manufuacturers. The brands are getting paid no matter if your shit blows up or not (in not gettign into the S2 drama from the past, but you K people know what I mean)

I know most of these parts are supposed to be for off-road use and thats the manufacturers way of getting out of warranties and liabilities.

If that shit can handle off road, it can handle a trip down Any Street USA.

(Hsu)- WARRANTY YOUR PRODUCT and the disasters that come with it!
Edit- AEM too! ^^
/Rant
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Esotericimage; 06-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Esotericimage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

holy shit. talk about breakage.

:0
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect1320EG6  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

dam that blows man i have the same cam gear no troubles yet hope it stay like that

my 1320 buid
1320EG6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

You realize this could have been a result of debris, like RTV or teflon tape getting around the oil filter bypass, or just gotten through a hole, blocking oil flow to the cylinder head,

Or the cam caps could have been over torqued, or just low on oil.

a Seized/seizing cam would do this.

I'd check the cam and journals.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Cam seized I bet. I have seen the centers spun on 88-95 OEM gear and snapped like yours on 96-00 OEM's

Also no cam cover.....tsk tsk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Last edited by transzex; 06-03-2013 at 09:22 PM.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!
TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!TheToaster is the fucking MAN!!!!

Lol Bone....

No timing cover + gravel = baddassery

TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

^ not really kinda dumb it could cost you a motor one little rock.
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

i have the same cam gear on my build. hope this doesnt happen to me. :/

luckly none of your valves broke and demolished any pistons and shit.

civicdxude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Rocking the same cam gear. Alot of failures come from people over tightening the hold down bolts. The unneeded torque on the bolts causes hairline fractures which cause weak spots. I think the proper torque is like 15 lbs. its not much. may even be 12...

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Cam or dizzy seized up. Seen it before. With an OEM cam gear things can get interesting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Gonna have to agree with others stating that something else probably caused the failure.

I have seen the AEM 5 bolt gears deal with a hell of a lot more stress than a stock or mild SOHC cam is likely to induce.

I tend to be a big fan of these personally:

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Definitely something wrong with the can gear...i think get it checked with a mechanic or something..that can prove fatal to your engine you see..by the nice pics you got out there.

Antoinettesmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

SpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcanoSpoonfedCivic is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Damn, that sucks... I also have the same gear, but I think I'd have to agree with everybody else. Something else happened to cause that to fail... Good luck with the rebuild.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S [Project]
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatch [Near stock DD]

Pat Primmer R.I.P.
SpoonfedCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Honestly not sure what spelled disaster for my poor little Z6 head, there's quite a few possibilities, but I don't really care much to pinpoint what it was. Oh well, shit happens I suppose. Not too much you can do about it once the damage is already done. Still not sure what I'm gonna do about the rebuild process. Once I do, It'll probably end up being a build thread since my brother and I started doing the body while while she's sitting dormant in the garage. Might as well make her nice if I'm going to be putting more money into it. We'll see how everything goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adjustable, aem, broken, cam, gear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in