Tanabe Super Medallion Racing cat-back - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gimmemore4door is learning the way of the Dgimmemore4door is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Tanabe Super Medallion Racing cat-back

WHAT??!!!................WHAT???!!!!!!

SPEAK UP!!!........I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!

Yeah, this is a nice deep loud exhaust that looks like a damn rocket launcher sticking out from under your car.
So I guess some will love it and some will hate it.
I have it on my daily driver with a DC 4-2-1 header and a 2.5" resonated test pipe. It will definitly keep your ears ringing after a long drive, but I've gotten used to it.
100% stainless steel.
Absolutely no problems and going on my 2nd year with it.
It's a little pricey, but if you want the real deal, this is it.
There are so many immitators of this exhaust, but once you own the Tanabe SMR, you see why there are so many followers.
Only problem is, they will never be on the same level as the original.
gimmemore4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

does it follow the stock exhaust path, or does it straighten the piping??? just curious???
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 gimmemore4door is learning the way of the Dgimmemore4door is learning the way of the D

I know I have a pic somewhere that has the stock and SMR layed out on the ground next to eachother.
I'll try to find it so I can put the pics up.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....SilentWrath* It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemore4door
I know I have a pic somewhere that has the stock and SMR layed out on the ground next to eachother.
I'll try to find it so I can put the pics up.
please do
<stock block d15b build complete.>
*Turbo Fabrication by Greg @ GO-AUTOWORKS.*

*Tuned by Howard @ RLZ Engineering.*

SilentWrath* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Where did you buy yours from?
Scivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

beautiful exhaust

I wanna see pics of it on your sedan
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scivic
Where did you buy yours from?
Well, I got it from a local shop (unfortunatly) and paid big bucks for it.
Since then, I've searched online and have found it for anywhere from 500 - 600 dollars.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
I used to be Admin.....

Rep Power: 17 Deck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regularDeck is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Deck

:TTIWWP:

Rep your D-series motor proudly! Get all your D-series.org clothing here!!

"Procrastination is like masterbation - you are only screwing yourself."

"...you guys are describing the turbo spool. it's not a disconcerting sound...it's sexual." - random NASIOC member

Last edited by Deck; 03-02-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!

00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky00kickercivic is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 00kickercivic

I have the old tanabe racing medallion... good exhaust but a lil loud... if you listen to music at any sorta decent volume though it is nothin

93 Toyota Supra TT
13 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T
05 SeaDoo RXT
00kickercivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: cleveland ohio, land of snow, salt, turbo deisel dualies, and lip-spoiler destroying potholes
Rep Power: 16 YakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to YakuzaKirby Send a message via MSN to YakuzaKirby Send a message via Yahoo to YakuzaKirby

loud = good... as long as it doesnt block out all the engine noise... and as long as it doenst sound like a sonic assault weapon/cofee can... but thats just my personal preference- i like exhausts that look closer to stock... but maybe thats just cause im a sleeper freak... once i save up the money ill be gettin an Apex'i World Sport2 system for my car... - more power... subtle, and not too loud...
but hey- loudness rules!... as long as you can still hear your BOV... lol

current car=
'87 Supra 5-speed Turbo Targa-
LIPP Boss series T04E-61mm, LIPP AFM housing, Lexus AFM, BIC DDP, 3.5" downpipe-back, K&N intake, HKS SSQV, GReddy Profec B boost controller, Apex'i AFC NEO, HKS 1.2mm mhg, wideband with AEM AFR gauge. Walboro 255lph pump, RC820cc injectors stock suspension. Block Bored .020 and decked by Webber Racing, Head milled .010 and 5-angle valve job by Webber Racing
ARP rod bolts, ARP headstuds... Clevite 77 bearings
483rwhp @22psi
putting it back together...

oh yeah. and i have a turbo del sol. almost forgot. lolz.

BTW. COD4. XBOX Live gamertag = AM6 Zero

I will newb-tube the fuck out of you. lol
YakuzaKirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 12:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well I'm definitly going for something much more subtle next time.
The exhaust has brought me a lot of unwanted attention from police and punk kids.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I may end up doing a custom made one with a completely straight pipe, with a resonator welded mid-way, but I'm not sure what muffler I would use.
Prefferably something stock looking, with a straight through design...
Old 03-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

or just run open down pipe....
who needs exhaust..lol
right now I have the greddy b and s pipe (lots lighter) with Tanabe racing medallion on the back...
its a lot quieter!!! and I have more mid and top end..
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: cleveland ohio, land of snow, salt, turbo deisel dualies, and lip-spoiler destroying potholes
Rep Power: 16 YakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagleYakuzaKirby is fly like an eagle
Send a message via AIM to YakuzaKirby Send a message via MSN to YakuzaKirby Send a message via Yahoo to YakuzaKirby
Talking

Quote:
Well I'm definitly going for something much more subtle next time.
The exhaust has brought me a lot of unwanted attention from police and punk kids.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I may end up doing a custom made one with a completely straight pipe, with a resonator welded mid-way, but I'm not sure what muffler I would use.
Prefferably something stock looking, with a straight through design...
punk kids- such as myself... - as for my own exhaust... if i cant afford the Apex'i WS2- im gonna get one of those cheap as hell ricer ones- just as long as the piping is less restrictive than stock- and im gonna cut off the cofee can, and weld it to my stock muffler- but since the muffler is restrictive as all hell- im gonna cut it open and get rid of about half of the junk in there... weld it back together- and then weld the pipe on... not quite sure what it would sound like...- but one things for sure- it wouldnt attract much attention- people would just think you've got a hole in your muffler...

current car=
LIPP Boss series T04E-61mm, LIPP AFM housing, Lexus AFM, BIC DDP, 3.5" downpipe-back, K&N intake, HKS SSQV, GReddy Profec B boost controller, Apex'i AFC NEO, HKS 1.2mm mhg, wideband with AEM AFR gauge. Walboro 255lph pump, RC820cc injectors stock suspension. Block Bored .020 and decked by Webber Racing, Head milled .010 and 5-angle valve job by Webber Racing
483rwhp @22psi

Old 03-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I like a nice loud exhaust for NA, but I'm going the FI route so I want something much more mellow so I can enjoy the sounds of the turbo
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

I like my N1 exhaust, worth the money IMO
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 05:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
I like a nice loud exhaust for NA, but I'm going the FI route so I want something much more mellow so I can enjoy the sounds of the turbo
im makin my car a sleeper... ive got eagle rods, srp pistons, greddy turbo kit with a MBC, ecu chipped by makku, 10 psi... no front mount... ill have to get one soon though... lol- STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM... and an auto tranny...
stock exhaust wont help me all to much... but uhh... im savin money for when the tranny goes lol, cause hey- 10psi built d16z6... uhhh, the auto isnt gonna last all too long...

current car=
483rwhp @22psi

Old 03-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

I don't think the turbo's gonna be happy with that stock diameter exhaust and the bends and whatnot of a stock muffler....
Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

someone correct me if i am mistaken but I believe the baffling inside is serviceable by drilling out the rivets on the sides of the muffler, removing the tip end and replace the old baffling with new stuff available from Tanabe. then just re-rovet the tip back on and you're good to go

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

this is true with the Tanabe mufflers.

I don't know about any others...
Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

Quote:
this is true with the Tanabe mufflers.

I don't know about any others...
i dont kno of any other companies that you can do that other than tanabe.

i love my espelir but i wish you could change the baffling out in my jgt500 when it starts to go. id rather do that than buy a new exhaust.

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in