Ebay shock top hats - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Ebay shock top hats

I received a set of these as a gift:
EF EG EK Da DC2 B16 Red 4 Pieces coilover Shocks Top Mount Top Hats Strut Tower | eBay

I currently have kyb gr2 shocks and eibach prokit springs on my car, mileage on them is unknown as i took them off of another car i bought for parts.

I figured these might be interesting to try and worst case I can sell them locally and break even most likely.

I installed them today and the fit just like stock. Construction seems solid though I am not sure what alloy of aluminum was used. Fit and finish were excellent. The bumpstops seem very similar to most aftermarket ones. The bushings were interesting though. They are described as "hard rubber type" but they are more like delrin, i compared them to some frame sliders i have on my bike and they seem to be very similar in feel, and similar in density. They have NO deflection in them and fitting the steel sleeve into them was difficult.

during install i found that the shock and spring combination was probably not low enough to really get the full benefit of the top hats. I had to compress the front springs MORE than before to get the top nut tightened down, and the rears took a little bit of pressure as well.

After taking my crx si for a drive it seemed the suspension felt a bit stiffer, body roll was diminished noticeably. I have a few curves in my neighborhood where there are bumps and my mudflaps up front would scrap, and they no longer do that. ride is still very smooth, just stiffer and maybe even more controlled now.

overall i am very pleased. I had been looking at the skunk2 parts for a long time, but held off as I am not a skunk2 fan at all.

I have no clue how they will hold up in track type events, I drive about 250 miles a week in this car, mostly commuting to and from work (100 miles round trip 2 days a week) so I will update in a few weeks once i have at least a thousand miles on them.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Nice! I've ran an entire season on mine at autox and lots of street miles with no issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 v4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to allv4lu3s is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
Nice! I've ran an entire season on mine at autox and lots of street miles with no issue.
awesome, glad to hear they hold up to street and autocross. I would like to try it at some point, but right now i have too much else going on. How have the bushings held up? any deformation?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 4D2Envy

I really thought about scooping a set of these up paired with some of the Raceland brand coil overs. xotic is that what your running?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"My Car Isn't Leaking Oil, It's Sweating Horsepower!"
4D2Envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

I use Konis and Ground Controls with these top hats just on the front. I had to enlarge the bushings to clear the rods of the Konis. I pulled them apart to checked the for deformation but nothing I noticed by looking.

< Like us on FB
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
LTB
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 LTB is learning the way of the DLTB is learning the way of the D

I use these also for my Auto-X set up, they make a huge difference! Just adding an inch of travel let's the suspension work better.

FVSCC.COM

CWSCC.COM

BEYONDREDLINE.COM
---------------------------------------
LTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTB View Post
I use these also for my Auto-X set up, they make a huge difference! Just adding an inch of travel let's the suspension work better.
Adding an extra inch makes everything work better

< Like us on FB
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
awesome, glad to hear they hold up to street and autocross. I would like to try it at some point, but right now i have too much else going on. How have the bushings held up? any deformation?
Im unsure about the ones xotic got, but the ones I purchased.... the bushings, laughable. Plastic cones.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

There are a lot of types of plastic, Polyoxymethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is the type that I suspect these are. I can say that mine have been great so far with no deformation, but i also have not driven in a week since the car is off getting paint. I can say teh "plastic" delrin frame sliders used on motorcycles is TOUGH stuff, I laid my bike down at about 40mph and it slid on a frame slider and the swing arm for about 100 feet, and less than half the frame slider was ground down, it was not deformed at all, and was easy to remove and replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in