Review: Koni STR.T Orange Shocks - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Review: Koni STR.T Orange Shocks

Hello all! I've recently gotten some Koni STR.T Orange shocks installed on my 2000 Civic EX coupe. I reused the OEM springs, so I thought it would make for a very scientific and unbiased review since the only variable being changed is the shocks.

I got my shocks changed at around 147,400 miles. I was on the OEM shocks and they were so bouncy and worn out. I ordered the Konis through 9K Racing (awesome people, I definitely recommend them) during their Labor Day sale. Got all 4 for $280. I got them home and took them out of the box to make sure they were alright. The boxes had some holes and crumpled corners. I took each one out and they were great! First impressions: they look well built, very clean and OEM. I got 4 stickers out of it too... XD

So the next day I went back to 9K for the install. 2 hours for it since they ran into a couple snags (one shock was bent and the bolt was rusted and stripped; they also needed to borrow a spring compressor for the front since they do a lot of Nissan/Toyota and not Honda). I got the car back and IMMEDIATELY I felt a difference. What a difference! As I was driving out of the parking lot, I had to hit speed bumps. I braced myself, hit the speed bump..... and it was fine! Way more comfortable that what I was expecting! But I still felt every little pebble and bump on the road. It's not in an annoying, uncomfortable way, but in an informative way. Lots of feedback from the steering and shocks.

So it's been about 2 weeks since I had them, and I really love them! I think they've settled a little bit... or I'm getting used to them. There is still some body roll, but it's very controlled. Cornering speeds have increased, but not at the expense of control. The car feels so composed and it really makes the best use of the tires. The most important thing is that they don't make me feel nervous at all.

I have noticed though that the front seems to be a little higher than the rear, by like a 2 finger width in the wheel well. I know the fronts need to be stiffer for the engine weight, but maybe they need to be broken in more? It's only been 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

My verdict: THUMBS UP! If your car is feeling boaty and the nose dives A LOT under braking, then you should definitely look at these. They're a great cheap replacement, and they're designed to work with OEM springs as well as lowered springs for a 2" drop MAXIMUM. They also come with a lifetime warranty. I'm only on OEM springs, so they're still comfortable, yet they can give you a little more control in the corners.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-Koni Yellows/Megan Coilover sleeves
-DC2 rear swaybar/BWR bracing
-Energy Suspension poly bushings
-eGay front strut bar
-4th gen Prelude front seats
-Koyorad radiator
-AEM Short Ram/Blox V-stack

Last edited by ThumperCivic; 10-02-2012 at 10:44 PM.
ThumperCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2

Finally a review on them! Thanks man, will be using this info in my desicion!

Glad you like them!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 ThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the communityThumperCivic  is accepted as part of the community

No problem man! Glad this review could be of some help to you. If you are going to track it though, get the Yellows since they're adjustable. The Oranges are like the Yellows on full soft.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator

Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough94EXa2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 94EXa2

Yeah, Ive heard that the oranges are like yellows on full soft, but its not a track car. Ive taken it to the 1/4 mile like 3 times in 5 years and only auto-x'd once.

I was debating between blues/gr2s/and koni oranges. I think im goin with the orange.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Sounds cool dude. Yeah, my car is no track car either. Obviously, every product has defects and sometimes there will be ones that fail. Koni is no exception, but I've also heard many, many great things about these shocks. So far, I have no complaints and they perform wonderfully. And if you want stiffer springs, you're good for a 1.5-2" drop MAXIMUM. Any more than that will most likely be too much for the shocks.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I might add that the person whose idea those shocks were. is a customer of mine

Had my 5g Sedan not have been totaled I would have been testing them on the bumpy streets of Cincy.

I will ask Lee the next time I see him about the nose height increase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Thanks! The nose height increase is a little odd...
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Anything on that nose height increase?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 civicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enough

Did you line the front shock forks up with the notch that is on the shock? The front shocks basically have to be aligned, they can't simply be put on. The shocks themselves should not affect ride height, esp OEM replacements. And they don't "settle" like springs might do since they do no hold the weight of the car up(the springs do).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Karcepts RaceDayVinyl SSC Tint & Graphics
4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
2x CDC Small Bore Series Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
civicexracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I didn't do the install, I hade 9K Racing install them. Is there a way that I can check if the shock fork is aligned? If they aren't lined up right, do I have to take the spring off to line it up?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 civicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enough

I've attached a picture of the notch that needs to be lined up with the split in the shock fork. It is where the brake lines bolt onto the shock body. If that notch isn't set in line with the opening of the shock fork, it'll essentially be sitting on top of the shock fork which will raise the ride height slightly. Not sure if this is really what is going on with your car, but it is very possible.

To check, just jack the car up and look to see if that notch is sitting inside the opening for the shock forl. Depending on where that notch is, you may or may not need to compress the spring to turn the shock and line it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda_civic_1990_front_shock_absorber_oem_741009.jpg
Views:	4657
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	32841  

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 10-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Hmm..... I'll definitely be looking for that tomorrow. Actually, I have been hearing a strange kind of thumping noise sometimes from the left front shock when I'm going over speed bumps. Maybe that's the cause?? I'll check it out for sure.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperCivic View Post
Hmm..... I'll definitely be looking for that tomorrow. Actually, I have been hearing a strange kind of thumping noise sometimes from the left front shock when I'm going over speed bumps. Maybe that's the cause?? I'll check it out for sure.
That could be a ball joint...

Are the Koni STR.T shocks gas charged? If they are that may account for the slight raise in ride height because I'm pretty sure stock shocks are oil only. That and blown shocks will lower your ride height slightly, they may not hold the car up but they do have an affect on ride height.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 jamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

would these take the regular ground control sleeves or the ones that are specific to the koni yellow?

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." - Patrick Henry
jamato0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I think the Koni Oranges are oil shocks because I've heard that they leak oil when they blow. I'm not too sure about the sleeves, but I'm sure there is some info out there. If you're looking at new springs, then you should probably be looking at Koni Yellow shocks.

BTW, I looked at my front shocks today and I saw this:

Something tells me that little gap isn't supposed to be there. This is only the driver's front shock, but the passenger front shock looks the same. I assume this is supposed to be flush against the shock fork?
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Yup, that's exactly what I was taking about. You'll need to turn the shock around. The fork has a gap in it where that piece is supposed to line up with. So that gap will go away and the car will lower a tiny bit. May not solve the problem entirely but it'll help.

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Just goes to show you that just because you take your car to a "shop" to have things installed doesnt mean they do it right. Thats horse shit right there and outright incorrect installation.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So I can just like unbolt it from the bottom and the top in the engine bay and rotate them 180 degrees right? Or do I have to compress the springs and all that...?

Well, 9K doesn't exactly do a lot of Hondas. I mean, they do a lot of Toyotas and Nissans, and maybe the occasional S2000 or NSX. But very rarely do they get a Civic. I might have made the same mistake myself.

If I need to compress the springs, I'll take it back to them and have them fix it. I'm sure they'll be cool about it and do it for me. If I don't need to compress the springs, then I'll just do it.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

You'll probably have to compress the springs a bit.

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Cool. I just finished turning them around so they're on there correctly. But the front still sits a little higher than the rears.
-Blox short shifter
-Exedy Stage 1 clutch
-eGay front strut bar
-Koyorad radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in