Innovative Mounts: First Impressions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Default Innovative Mounts: First Impressions

Well I got my Innovative Mounts mount kit today. I had ordered a kit with the 92-95 engine into 88-91 chassis driver's side mount, 88-91 RT4WD passenger's side mount and 88-91 MT mount. After a bit more of a wait than expected I finally get my mount kit (UPS shipped very quickly).

Upon opening the box and pulling the mounts out they seemed to be pretty good. The rear and passenger's side mount appear as expected but the driver's side mount didn't seem right and when I tried to put it on the 92-95 engine bracket it did not fit. When put on the 88-91 engine bracket it fits like a glove.

I thought, perhaps I misunderstood how the mount fits? So I compared it to an 88-91 oem driver's side mount that I have. Both the OEM and Innovative Mounts mount have bolt holes in the same places and are angled the same way. So unfortunately I was sent the wrong driver's side mount...

The finish on the steel mounts is also underwhelming. The black wrinkle finish is what appears to be a single coat of paint. It will come off if I rub my nail against it too hard and when the OEM mount and the Innovative mount would bump (lightly) while comparing them the finish on the Innovative mount chipped slightly every time. There are two spots that were missed while painting that have no paint on them and are brown/orange from surface rust. TBH I could do better with a rattle can.

I just examined my other two mounts. The rear mount also has a spot missing on it which shows surface rust. The passenger side mount does not have any missing spots, but does have a slightly chip that shows the metal underneath the paint was not prepared to be painted.

Though from what I could tell comparing the OEM mount to the Innovative mount there should be no fitment issues at least. Except for the part that it is the wrong mount of course.

Maybe I'm being nit-picky but for being a "name brand," the price, and made in the USA, I expected more.

Update: Talked to Innovative Mounts whose customer service at least as far as calling for information is good. Turns out I misinterpreted what the obd1 motor in obd0 chassis mount does, since it is designed to use the obd0 bracket. However, they still sent me the wrong mount as I ordered that mount but received a regular CRX/Civic driver's side mount. All is not lost though, I can still make it work easily by just finding the correct damn timing covers and engine bracket as I should have done in the first place.

TL;DR - Messed up my order/absolutely mediocre finish

Last edited by moff3tt; 09-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 DDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

my rear torque mount just stripped its bolt out of the back...

i didnt realize but there was only one bolt holding... the reason for that is because the mount holes did not align with the tranny... i dont know if this is common but it sucks a big one

O and they will shake your car like a giant dildo

make sure you bolt down every loose piece you can find

Stock internals
Ramhorn
Mystery Master power turbo(supposedly super 60)
Dsm 450 injectors
Walbro 255
10 psi
Intercooled!
Tuned on Crome

I always forget to say what setup i have so here it is
DDream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDream View Post
my rear torque mount just stripped its bolt out of the back...

i didnt realize but there was only one bolt holding... the reason for that is because the mount holes did not align with the tranny... i dont know if this is common but it sucks a big one

O and they will shake your car like a giant dildo

make sure you bolt down every loose piece you can find
Sucks to hear about your rear mount :/ I hope my fits. I currently have filled OEM mounts so it shakes pretty bad already. Heh.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 DDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like BoratDDream smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

im sure it will but let me know because im curious

like i said tho it was one bolt holding all that torque and im sure the stiff mount did not help

for some reason tho it is strange no matter how i pry or pull the mount the holes seem to be off by a quarter inch

if it was a rubber mount it would have much more play to get in to place

Stock internals
Ramhorn
Mystery Master power turbo(supposedly super 60)
Dsm 450 injectors
Walbro 255
10 psi
Intercooled!
Tuned on Crome

I always forget to say what setup i have so here it is
DDream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Mine fit fine. Look good. Beat on em daily and absolutely love them.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

I like mine as well, although one of mine is broken. You'll need the bracket for the 88-91 engine, it should bolt onto the 92-95 block you're using.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotic_crx View Post
I like mine as well, although one of mine is broken. You'll need the bracket for the 88-91 engine, it should bolt onto the 92-95 block you're using.
Though, I could make it work with with a 88-91 bracket it would look ghetto as fuck. The only timing covers I could find for my DOHC ZC were OBD1 covers that came with the engine bracket. I do not have a DOHC ZC OBD0 engine bracket nor timing covers (which are different) or I would just have gotten a regular mount kit.

I was under the impression it was like the HASport mount. Which is 92-95 on the engine bracket side but 88-91 on the chassis side. Nevertheless, I ordered a conversion mount and what I received is identical in every way to the OEM mount.

Last edited by moff3tt; 09-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
How you break a mount lol

Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
How you break a mount lol
I have no idea haha. When I pulled the motor out of my black CRX to go into the yellow one, I noticed one of the bolt holes on passenger side trans mount was torn. I just put it back in for now, maybe when I get my beater going I'll send it in, pretty sure they have some limited lifetime warranty, and I got them through Go Autoworks IIRC.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I have about 7k miles on mine and they seem to be holding up just fine. I will be pulling my motor this winter to check everything out.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 35 Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Black91CRXsi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 17 reviews

I like my innovative mounts/crossmember. However the front engine mount had to be slightly modified to bolt up.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
I have no idea haha. When I pulled the motor out of my black CRX to go into the yellow one, I noticed one of the bolt holes on passenger side trans mount was torn. I just put it back in for now, maybe when I get my beater going I'll send it in, pretty sure they have some limited lifetime warranty, and I got them through Go Autoworks IIRC.
Lol thats weird. Maybe you accidentally over torqued them? And yes the do have a life time warranty.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19si91 View Post
Lol thats weird. Maybe you accidentally over torqued them? And yes the do have a life time warranty.
I don't know, I'm pretty meticulous about torquing everything to spec haha, but anything is possible!

< Like us on FB
Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Quote:
I don't know, I'm pretty meticulous about torquing everything to spec haha, but anything is possible!
Were you running the steel or aluminum mounts? I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum ones had a bolt hole that tore out or whatnot.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Steel, I'm cheap lol.

< Like us on FB
Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 Abide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to allAbide is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abide

moff3tt, did you do these in car? ive gotta redo mine in my blue RT and dont wanna take the motor out to do them. i was wondering how you got your stock rear one out. it was hard enough with the motor out of my gold RT.
Abide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
n00b

Ordering my innovative 85a mounts this week, they have a LIFETIME guarantee, that sold me ...
So, ill be installing them as soon as they come in
97N/ACIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 point78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regularpoint78 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

rear stock tranny mount removal.

Get one of these:
Amazon Amazon

(get a 12mm while your there too)

I got my stock one out when I had the transmission off.(90 crx) It was a bitch, but with that socket it worked.
point78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

I ordered a set of innovative mounts and one mount was completely off as well. They went right back and HASport now has my money instead. There seems to be a trend happening in 'Name' brand companies just losing there motivation to make great products maybe because they already have most of the Honda communitys trust via word of mouth. Try calling Innovative... After 30 minutes on hold you'll see what I mean. IMO there customer service is complete shit. Also lifetime warranty and limited lifetime warranty are night and day different.

Flaw in craftsmanship or material is always blamed on installation error.
EFnCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

That's rather odd. I had an awesome customer service experience with Innovative Mounts over the summer. The inserts in the USED mounts that I bought for my swap had finally crapped out, so I called them up to order some new inserts. I told them what the situation was and that I wasn't even the original buyer, yet they still sent me replacement inserts for the cost of shipping.

Seems good to me.

I will agree that the finish on the steel mounts is not that great, but it isn't something that bothers me personally. From my experiences, they fit, they work as intended, and they last quite well.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in