Tool Review #1: The Permatex SaferScraper - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default Tool Review #1: The Permatex SaferScraper

Full article with pics:

Beaver Built: Tool Review 1: Permatex SaferScraper

What is it?
A plastic razor blade and holder that actually does a decent job of scraping all but the hardest baked on gasket gunk off of sealing surfaces.

What is it good at?
I found it to be exceedingly good at curved or not exactly flat surfaces, as the plastic conforms better. They last a surprisingly decent amount of time. I was expecting the edge to fall apart really quickly, and they didn't. I cleaned off both disgusting valve covers and the intake manifold with just one of the two blades that came with the tool.

What is it not good at?
It is simply not stiff or hard enough to deal with the REALLY baked on stuff. That being said, I have never preferred to use razor blade scrapers to remove that stuff. I much prefer ScotchBrite pads soaked in WD40.

Would I recommend it?
Not at the price of $4 with only two blades. If you read through the whole article, I provide links to tools that are essentially the same but are much better values as they come with 25 blades. You are essentially getting a plastic razor blade holder (though I would never used the provided one with actual razor blades) with two blades for $4. I bought it because I saw the usefulness of the tool but didn't know there were better values out there. Doing more research for this review, I found much more viable alternatives. I do, however, wholeheartedly recommend the concept and use of plastic scraper blades.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Nice review!

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Meat Popsicle

Rep Power: 28 Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Paterico is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

These are good for scraping off emblem glue/residue without scratching paint on flat surfaces

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

I am going to test it out removing the pinstriping on my Legend. It should work really well for that!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 Redtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropesRedtapemassacre is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepatrick View Post
These are good for scraping off emblem glue/residue without scratching paint on flat surfaces
Regular ol pencil erasers work great at taken glue residue as well and cheaper.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Good tips guys! Thanks for sharing!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Love the Review format!
EFnCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Thanks. After I get settled in to my new shop, I'll have some more time to review some more stuff.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in