Turtle Wax Headlight Restore Kit - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Turtle Wax Headlight Restore Kit

Hey everyone,

Iwas so skeptical on these headlight restore kits, but I was in michigan the other day and stopped in at autozone and they had this product for $10. So I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot, worst case scenario Im out 10 bucks and my headlights cant get any worse right? Well I'm completely amazed at how well this product works, I was thinking on posting a DIY for it but the instructions on the box are pretty straight forward, anyways heres some before and after pics just to show how well it turned out

Before............

After the turtle wax restore kit

And I didnt use any sort of buffing tool or anything just a handful of old rags, not too bad IMO, and btw, i am aware my civic needs some body work, that is currently number 1on my list, just getting the funds together
btec83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Since you didn't use any type of sand paper or a buffer of any sort I would almost bet they go back to looking like they did before after a month or so. I used the 3M kit that comes with the sanding pads and the drill adapter that worked awesome and was only like $25 but it took almost a hour. Let us know how long that last.

They do look good I have to give that to ya
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Well I did use the sanding pads that came with the kit but I was actually wondering how long it will take for them to start looking like crap again too, only time will tell, I will keep you updated tho, cheers

Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

The 3m kit I used was on a car I sold seen it a few days ago lights still look good and I did them back in early January 2012 or late December 2011
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

I just sued the 3m kit on my new civic. My father buys a lot of used cars and that 3m headlight kit is a must for all used cars. They honestly make a car look soooo much better. Im sure the turtle wax kit gets the same results just like you have shown.
BUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

it's been justabout a month now since i used the turtle wax kit and so far my headlights still look great, the only problem is now im always looking at other peoples headlights thinking, geeze they need to get that fixed lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 22 xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
xotic_crx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xotic_crx

Nice! I work in a parts house and love to see what works and doesn't so I can make better suggestions, thanks.

< Like us on FB
xotic_crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by btec83 View Post
it's been justabout a month now since i used the turtle wax kit and so far my headlights still look great, the only problem is now im always looking at other peoples headlights thinking, geeze they need to get that fixed lol
I think the same thing while looking at cars on used cars lots. It would really help the sale value if at least the headlights were buffed out even if it only last 6 months.

My CRV has a little damage on them, no need for a FULL kit. I was thinking of trying a $10 kit for AZ or just using the old metal polish trick.

I have $60 in credits at AZ, I'll let them buy it. I'm good at getting my purchase to just barely over $20 to get that free point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 23 scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!scottdh20 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

goes to autozone...splits order into 5 $20 orders....gets $20 credit

manager overides system and dont give a f....i win

i have used many kits, they are all the same save 3 levels of sanding paper pads and "glass cleaner" i mean sanding lube...and the buffing compound. first headlight always turns out better than the second cuz my arm get tired and i get to the i dont give an f point....

i wanna try the one that hooks up to the drill

How to hook up turbo coolant lines

BUILD THREAD

Everyone has a little farmyard in them

scottdh20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I make sure my trips to AZ land in the just above $20 range then use the credits on larger items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 hondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to hondalx97

they one that hooks up a a drill works soo well i have one, but also normal toothpaste and the rough side of a spounge work realllly well too

i like my cars like i like my women, with D's instead of B's

For all you HID needs let me know authorized reseller for sharphid and theretrofitsource!
shit blew up sale thread please helppp

PROJECTORS retofit service/supplies

hondalx97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

i do headlight restoration jobs in my shop. You WILL have that janky oxidation come back within 3months for sure. the best thing for you to do that anyone can do is the 3m kit at auto parts stores. it'll last about 2years and only cost you $22 takes about 15minutes each and all you need is a drill. other than that you'll need lots of sand paper, products and air sanders.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 b16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to allb16racereg6 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

i use basic rubbing compound works good cheap easy. It dont last forever but fuck it.
b16racereg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 jamesva is learning the way of the Djamesva is learning the way of the D

Is it UV/sun stuff that fades the clear coat or is it road debris messing them up? I've heard both. So after I did mine a year ago with a 3m kit I hit it with several coats of clear coat and then kinda polished them.. I really have no idea what I'm doing so I'm sure someone's going to tell me why I'm dumb, but they've looked good for a year and counting now! If it's stupid and it works it can't be that stupid right? maybe?
jamesva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Before

After

Great experience with them definitely recommend them.
Malkion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

I have tryied to use rubbing compound and the result was not that amazing. But you can try it. It is better then nothing.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 11 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

You can also sand with 2000. Buff. Clean with some pre paint stuffs. Then clearcoat. Then all you have to do is wax them every once and a while. Boom done.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 brundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

3M kit works really good.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 Boostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebodyBoostincx is almost a somebody

My headlights looked like the ones the OP posted and i did the rubbing compound and they turned out pretty good. Problem is the oxidisation came back after not too long. I just opted to purchase a brand new pair of headlights this time around, hopefully they will last longer.
Boostincx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 brundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropesbrundell88 is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

boostincx, next time skip on the headlights. Sand them and use a good compound like what comes with the 3m kit and you will be happy as hell. Ive done more then 5 sets that came out pretty much perfect. Might have to grab a little extra sand paper depending on how bad they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in