AEM 5 bolt cam gear BROKEN! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default AEM 5 bolt cam gear BROKEN!

Hey guys, so this is my first post on d-series. Ive always just been a reader with all the good info on here, but I thought I would share this one with you all. Ok so on my way home a few nights ago I was doing about 50-55 mph in 5th gear at about 2k rpms. I then all of the sudden here a pop and then my rpms dropped to 0. I pulled over and popped the hood to find that the cam gear was laying there and the center of it with the bolt was still secured to the head tightly.

My buddies couldnt believe what they were seeing when i showed them lol. First thoughts were something had to have seized to snap a cam gear, and that the head was probably f'ed with bent vavles. Well I put a stock z6 cam gear back on with same everything else and what do you know the engine purrs again.

Have any of you witnessed or heard of this happening befor? Did i just get a lemon cam gear? I will be contacting AEM, and I will be posting on how they treat me.

BTW, my setup is a z6 bottom w/ y8 head (and yes the cam gear was for y. The cam gear had 27xx miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0243.jpg
Views:	1539
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	31982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0242.jpg
Views:	7162
Size:	895.6 KB
ID:	31983  
reallyhighcivic94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

please post up what AEM tells you! Lots of people buy from AEM, and yes, this has happened before. I myself dont specifically search for these kinds of mishaps, so perhaps it is a defective batch, or you simply had some bad luck.

Due to the miles you had on it, it was most likely NOT a case of you overtightening the adjusting bolts.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow that really sux. It looks like a very weak design. you have stock springs?
CGVtico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

shitty cam gear
that shouldn't happen
aem should give you a new one
Old 07-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
shitty cam gear
that shouldn't happen
aem should give you a new one
That's what I was thinking! WTF!!! At least nothing else was destroyed.

"Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Dwight Schrute: “There’s too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.”
coasttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

@mattliston- Forsure man, definitely will be posting the outcome of all this, I really doubt they were over torqued too, only little 8mm wrench on them.

@CGVtico- Sorry forgot to mention all internals stock. I would think that AEM tested their design and product thoroughly, hopefully was just a fluke.
reallyhighcivic94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah could have been a bad batch of material
CGVtico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....BLK92_D16 Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 78 reviews

Another reason why if you do not need to manually adjust your mechanical timing to use a stock cam gear! Glad to hear that you didn't damage the motor! AEM needs to give you a free replacement; then you can sell it. LOL!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post

Due to the miles you had on it, it was most likely NOT a case of you overtightening the adjusting bolts.
2700 and some change? Or you being sarcastic? From the way i see it, it looks like it broke clean into two of the slots for the adjuster bolts, my thought would be it was over tightened and cracked causing premature fatigue.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLegal View Post
2700 and some change? Or you being sarcastic? From the way i see it, it looks like it broke clean into two of the slots for the adjuster bolts, my thought would be it was over tightened and cracked causing premature fatigue.
but wouldnt you agree that they should make theirs strong enough to prevent things like that?

I think they owe you a new one at the very least
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series SoCal Division

Rep Power: 16 AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!AJAY is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

I agree on shity design. I have always liked the original 3 bolt better. Some say the 3 bolt gear slips but I've ran mine for 2 years with not a single issue. AEM should replace it for free. Good luck.

1993 civic dx hatch
jdm d15b vtec obd1
web level 1 cam
15g turbo 13 psi
STOLEN!
AJAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle86 View Post
but wouldnt you agree that they should make theirs strong enough to prevent things like that?

I think they owe you a new one at the very least
Yes and no. If they say 12ft lbs, and you go 25, thats your fault. If they say 12ft lbs, and you go 13 and snap it, there fault.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Last edited by CaliLegal; 07-30-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Ninja Edit: Side note, i have this same cam gear, no issues....
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....BiggieBert Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Had mine break in similar fashon.... I may have over-torqued it though.

Quote:
you will get stuck in the "willfully ignorant" category and I will do what I can to see that you never get an answer to any question you ever ask on this forum again.

BiggieBert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

wow thats insane. Now I'm double thinking whether or not to get AEM adjustables
SohcEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 HB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like BoratHB turbo--> smells like Borat

Havnt had a problem w/ mine @ 10k miles, but I broke out the tourque wrench first!
HB turbo--> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 andrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Boratandrewknoll523 smells like Borat
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB turbo--> View Post
Havnt had a problem w/ mine @ 10k miles, but I broke out the tourque wrench first!
Tourque wrench that's why they have specs!!
andrewknoll523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

That is kind of an interesting fracture failure. It would be interesting to see better pics of the fractured surfaces themselves.

I would bet it is a material problem rather than an installation problem unless you used a 3 bl sledge to drive it on the end of the cam. lol.

snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is anyone as surprised as I am that his motor is still ok?
Deez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Oh did i mention, i also am currently running the AEM 5 bolt cam gear. No problems.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6

Quote:
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!Mr.Fodo is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Maybe not exactly all 5 being over torqued.

Only some of the actual bolt slots broke.This was probably the source, and maybe too much belt tension.

Did you tighten them down in the crisscross pattern first of all?

If the belt tension was a little extra, it could have been twisting the gear a little if the bolts aren't all tightened closely to each other causing this.

When was the last time you checked the gear? The gear could have be progressively getting worse until it fatigued and completely failed at regular load.

|

#

!
Quote:
Start there, if you still cant figure it out, you are not going to.
How
to act on this forum...
Mr.Fodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aem, d16y8, d16z6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in