Review: Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Levi Send a message via MSN to Levi
Default Review: Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

I finally got around to installing these with the help of one of my friends that has a shop. Thank goodness for a lift and air tools. These bushings are absolutely awesome. I tore through my rta bushings pretty fast last year with the amount of auto xing I did. The hardest part about all of this is removing the rubber out of the rta. We ended up cutting out the bushing with a saw to get the pin out, removing all the rubber off the pin, then getting a 2 3/4" hole saw and cutting out the majority of the rubber. Then took a right angle grinder and used a wicked rasp bit on it and removed the rest if the rubber. Then took a light grit bit and cleaned the rest of the rubber out. After that you have to press the bushing in. Since the rta was still on the car, we cut out some 1/4" steel plates and drilled some holes in them. You put 1 plate on one side of the rta, then lube the bushing up and then put a bolt through the other plate with the bushing on that and press the bushing in by tightening the bolt down. Really easy, just a little time consuming.

I noticed a difference just driving around town before I drove home from his shop. I got to test it on 33.6 miles of twisties all the way home. These things are amazing. They tightened the rear of my car up so much. When you hit a reflector in the middle of the road, you can notice the stiffness by the "thud" it makes. The handling has definately improved compared to what it was before. I would highly reccomend these to anyone. I paid $26 for the 2 bushings and they are definately worth it.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 Integra Project Car:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

so what are you gonna do about the rear suspension binding up now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 48 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I havent had any problems so far. Time till tell if this happens.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 fireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to allfireant is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I guess you'll really know when you start autocrossing. Though I wouldn't want the harshness or binding, I suppose its easier to live with than the snap oversteer youd get from toasted bushings, right?
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex
so what are you gonna do about the rear suspension binding up now?
ive read about this in a few boards. the autox guys say to get the mugen hard rubber bushings but they are still rubber and will deteriorate over time, probably not as fast as oem rubber but they will still deteriorate. ive seen 99 civics come into the shop here with realtively low kms that have cracked or almost shot trailing arm bushings.

how will the suspension bind transex? not tryin to be an ass, just very curious as to why some of the hardcore autox people are against these bushings? im not a suspension guru so i am not quite sure why if they're bad a company like ES would make them?

any links or info would be great transex if yo have it.

ive had mine for a few years now and there's no noticeable problems with them.

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

the rear arm travels in a arc, the rubber bushings have just enough give not to cause any binding. The ES bushing limit travel, therefore the suspension goes into bind, really screwing with the spring rates.........aka snap oversteer.

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

i understand a bit better.

i guess for autox that might be an issue but for daily driving and street use my civic seems to do okay.
oem rubber wears out way too fast and is far too soft for my liking. i could not believe the play in the bushings when i took them out (which were still good btw). ive read that the mugen units are considerably harder however they are still rubber and prone to deterioration, wear and breakage as with any rubber. i like the idea of not having to change out my trailing arm bushings for a long time thanks to the resilliance of polyurethane.

im sure im not well versed in autox enough yet to notice this snap oversteer however my car handles wonderful on the street (which due to financial constraints is where it spends most of its days and probably will for quite some time) and ive become acustomed to the increased stiffness from having all my bushings polyrethane now.

my suspension is set up so stiff for dry pavement street use that movent is very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Old 02-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

go hit the brakes at 75% and try to avoid say a tire in the road.

AKA emergency situation.........

Do this in a open lot from about 35-40 mph, your gonna find out what I mean.

Gets even uglier at higher speeds.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Quote:

I think I might go try this sometime this week and see what you mean about the suspension binding up. When I brought the car home the other night, I had to come back 33.6 miles of nothing but twisties that are pretty brutal and I felt nothing of the sort. I am curious to see how the car reacts if it does bind up, so time to find a big parking lot to test this since auto x season doesnt start until May for me.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:

i'll have to give that test a try out in a parking lot tho when i do put it back on the road and see if i can notice it. maybe it's one of those scenarios where it has happened but because i wasn't aware of it i just learned subconsciously to compensate for it after driving for a length of time with them.

not trying to be sassy or anything transex but the situation you described (panic maneouvers) has happened to me several times since i had the bushings in addition to uncountable runs out the river road both alone and against other people. i didn't notice anything unusual about the way the car handled. luckily im still here and it's still in one piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 03-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Lule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enoughLule will become famous soon enough

26 bucks?! Those were $200 a pair when they first came out.
Lule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

well here is an update. they have been on since January 31st and I still have not experienced this so called rear suspension binding. I have dont the parking lot test and still have not noticed this. They work awesome. I still do not have a race on them, but as soon as I do, I will report back how they reacted. I have some absolutely insane mountain roads around here and if this were to happen, I would have noticed by now.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hondaluver is learning the way of the Dhondaluver is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

well would these rear trailing arm bushings be ok for like a daily driver car?? one that isn't an autox?? very curious
hondaluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaluver
well would these rear trailing arm bushings be ok for like a daily driver car?? one that isn't an autox?? very curious
I have no problems with these in my civic. I drive it daily and it is fine.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

did you have to get it aligned after the install

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsHXcivi
did you have to get it aligned after the install
no, we marked everything and put it back where it was before. it would have been a good idea to get it checked just in case though.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 hondaluver is learning the way of the Dhondaluver is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

hondaluver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

yeah, these are fine for a daily driver, I have had no problems with mine whatsoever.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 zeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respect
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to zeus zore Send a message via MSN to zeus zore

so how is it !?! still good ?

Setup on Z6 :
SMSP header, Arias 11.5 pistons, eagle rods, edelbrock IM, 60mm TB, Crower springs/ti. retainer, AKMEE Type R Cam, Crower cam gear, Hondata.
zeus zore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in