S2000 Toyo Roki oil filter (Japanese) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al
Default S2000 Toyo Roki oil filter (Japanese)

For my EF's 1st oil change, I went with Mobil 1 5w20 oil. The filter it had was a Wix (Napa Gold). I wanted better flow & filtration and some added JDM bling & took Stevo-O's idea of using the S2000 filter (Honda Part# 15400-PCX-004). Luckily, it fits both hatch & Integra! After switching to the Toyo Roki, my car ran smoother & slightly cooler & after 1600 miles, the oil still looks clear and amber. The only downside is price; Almost $10 thru dealer, WAY cheaper online; $7 or so. If you want a larger filter element unit that does a slightly better job filtering, buy the Purolater Pure One filter, it's supposedly the best one out. I chose the Honda unit for brand loyalty and those cool Japanese characters on it! http://www.handaaccessories.com/s2000-04.html

Last edited by Import Al; 01-28-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kommon_sense Send a message via Yahoo to kommon_sense

somebody needs to cut one of those things open...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Steve-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
somebody needs to cut one of those things open...
i have one on my car now kommon so when oil change time comes this spring i'll bring it to work and disect it for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Al
For my EF's 1st oil change, I went with Mobil 1 5w20 oil. The filter it had was a Wix (Napa Gold). I wanted better flow & filtration and some added JDM bling & took Stevo-O's idea of using the S2000 filter (Honda Part# 15400-PCX-004). Luckily, it fits both hatch & Integra! After switching to the Toyo Roki, my car ran smoother & slightly cooler & after 1600 miles, the oil still looks clear and amber. The only downside is price; Almost $10 thru dealer, WAY cheaper online; $7 or so. If you want a larger filter element unit that does a slightly better job filtering, buy the Purolater Pure One filter, it's supposedly the best one out. I chose the Honda unit for brand loyalty and those cool Japanese characters on it! http://www.handaaccessories.com/s2000-04.html
Glad its workin out for ya man. I was kinda worried for a while there to suggest it because i didnt want to feel responsible in some way if something happened but a ton of guys use them religiously on h-t and i have one on my eg as well and its worked fine for me. the guys at the dealership make fun of me because i use one and i cut filters open in my boredom time. they kept saying the filters are all the same so one day this week when things were slo i cut open the honeywell/fram one we use daily for oil changes and the filtech units which comes installed on brand new hondas from the factory. lets just say in a matter of 15 minutes with a small air cutting wheel and some brake cleaner, i had proved my point

all hondas used to have a filter of that size at one point and the dealership used large ones for oil changes all the time. then honda went to the smaller one for some reason but im not buying it.

wheni bought my filter a while ago they were like $38 a pop over the counter at the dealership. i checked the other day because they always keep one in stock and they've reduced the price now to $8 . i asked rob if i pull mine off the car and return it for a refund and new one

Living the humble dream as an independent shop repair tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 01-30-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Top Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcanoTop Aussie is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

nice work al
Top Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 1718005 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 67 reviews
Send a message via AIM to modsHXcivi

that is a sexxy filter ...but i use the pure one filter myself .....

modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 17 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna

anyone have any more detailed pics like ones showing the # of holes, etc.? Also any dimensions. That pic looks like a regular civic sized filter.

|
|
Old 01-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
DOG
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

I would like to see a comparison between the puralator and the toyo roki after someone cuts them open. I'm using the puralator. Next filter change I'll split mine and take some pics.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al

Steve-O, I rack up miles like a World Rally Championship driver so I might change my oil in not too long. I'll saw the mofo in two and post pics if I ever get my digicam back...What does a Purolator Pure 1 filter cost anyways guys?
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Rep Power: 26 Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!Steve-O is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommon_sense
anyone have any more detailed pics like ones showing the # of holes, etc.? Also any dimensions. That pic looks like a regular civic sized filter.
here you go man:

Also, here's an internal cut-out view of the HAMP filter which is supposed to be exactly the same as the S2000 unit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
One thing I have always believed, and I think should apply here too for the most part, is this: If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Why put forth that effort to tell someone some negative stuff that you know they won't like to hear. Build your car how you want, and let others do the same.

Namaste
Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG
I would like to see a comparison between the puralator and the toyo roki after someone cuts them open. I'm using the puralator. Next filter change I'll split mine and take some pics.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...6;t=000723;p=1
www.oilfilterstudy.com
http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html

I am the google master :

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index....owtopic=191911
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=001071#000000

Also just started up this thread :
http://www.sohchonda.com/ipw-web/bul...pic.php?t=5788

|
|
Old 01-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Seeing as how I handle about 16 of the small filters a day and i look overt each and every one before i install them (which is one reason why i don't use them ), the easiest way to tell the diff between the small and large filters from pics on the net (which tend to be deceiving more often than not) is the gasket location. on the small filters the gasket is much closer to the edge lip of the metal filter body whereas the larger ones tend to be more inwards.

Newer smaller filter:

Older large style:

Sorry for so many pics. Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 01-31-2005, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

good finds man . i was reading your thread on sohchonda and hamp now makes the small size filters too. im guessing that the low oil pressure situation only happens in the newer civics but it might occur in 95 and olde rmodels as well. id have to see a cutout of the small hamp filter before i buy into the small filter trend. im sure honda wouldn't use it if it was harmful to the engine however is it possible that it could be the "band-aid" for a poorly designed oil pump as you mentioned?

i guess until someone shows me that the large filters are detrimental to the operation of the engine i'll keep using the large ones as long as they make them. if i have to go down to the small size i'll buy the small hamp units.

hey kommon, another good site if you're really interested in oil studies and filter cutouts is this one kommon:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...6;t=000723;p=1

you can also find some good info in the thread i started :

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14012

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste

Last edited by Steve-O; 01-31-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cerif27

Default searching

Hey just got myself a 2005 Civic Coupe EX and wanted to know what you guys thought was the best oil and filter for my car.

d17a2 engine says that it requires 5w20 and I've never heard of a car using that kind of oil (been driving a 1982 Datsun 280zx for the last 8 years and it took 10w30 every time!). From what I've read in all the threads in this forum is that Mobil 1 is the way to go. (synthetic! Oh my it's the future and stuff!) and that I should do away with my fram filters and get the s2k filter from honda. Does this still ring true with this newer car? I have also read that there are oil pressure problems with the s2k filter in newer civics. What to do what to do?

thanks guys...glad to be a part of the honda community!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerif27
Hey just got myself a 2005 Civic Coupe EX and wanted to know what you guys thought was the best oil and filter for my car.

d17a2 engine says that it requires 5w20 and I've never heard of a car using that kind of oil (been driving a 1982 Datsun 280zx for the last 8 years and it took 10w30 every time!). From what I've read in all the threads in this forum is that Mobil 1 is the way to go. (synthetic! Oh my it's the future and stuff!) and that I should do away with my fram filters and get the s2k filter from honda. Does this still ring true with this newer car? I have also read that there are oil pressure problems with the s2k filter in newer civics. What to do what to do?

thanks guys...glad to be a part of the honda community!
welcome man and congratualtions on your purchase .

5w20 is the proper oil for your car. im the minor service tech at our local honda dealership and and all ther 2001 and up civics here in canada take 5w20. yours should take approx 3.2L if its non-VTEC and 3.5L for VTEC versions. you'll have to convert that to quarts because im on metric system up here .

as far as a good oil, you'll hear as many choices as there are grains of sand on the beach. mobil 1 gets alot of good reviews and i used it before i went to redline 5w30 synthetic in my civic (then again, im VERY hard on my car and its only a 1.5L non-vtec d15b7). i used to run castrol syntec but i found my valvetrain always looked dirty and sludged up with it. reading up on the net i found out that i wasn't the only one who noticed this. our dealership a while ago even got its bulk oil for services from castrol but they found the same sludging/darkening issues and changed to petro-canada bulk oil. now i see engines come in looking alot cleaner than mine did back then. the only thing with your civic being so new be careful what you use so you dont run into warranty problems. i know how honda can be and if you use different stuff in your car other than honda's until the warranty runs out they might try and be sticklers if something goes wrong.

the s2k filter will fit on your civic but honda has gone to the smaller filter across the board except for the s2000 and the hybrid insight. im not quite sure exactly as to the oil pressure issues but if you'd like to stick with a smaller filter and want a better one than the over the counter frams they use now at all dealerships, the jdm HAMP one (green) come in a small size. form what ive seen and invesitgate myself its made for hamp by toyo roki. i had a new car come in for its first oil change and i kept the factory filter that came on it (it was made by toyo roki and said so right on the side) and cut it open one lunch hour for fun. it was exactly the same as the jdm green HAMP one. the hamp filters can be purchased on ebay and from many jdm retailers.

honestly, if you are just using your car to commute to work and back and be a family transport vehicle, you won't be done wrong with using the oem honda filter and oil you get from the dealership on regular services. however, if you plan on using your car for anything harder than normal daily driving, like to have "fun" or even compete in motorsport activities with it, synthetic and the jdm hamp filter would be a great combination. mobil 1 or redline would be my two choices as far as lubricant. fair warning tho, i find redline is quite pricy. this hoser pays $13 a litre at canadian tire here in ontario . the guys at work make fun of me for it and ask why i dont use the stuff out of the lines and the regular honda filter. im sure it would suffice but im not about just follwing the standard or using "what'll do". im picky about my car and what i put into it. even if it is a bit overkill, i like knowing my car is ready for whatever i throw at it because peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

anyways, not sure if this may have helped you out or made things more complicated. best bet is to ask around and surf the net for more info. oil and filter choices will all depend on your needs from the car and driving habits. listen to some more replies from other people on here and then make some decisions.

have fun man and welcome to the honda community and d-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cerif27

Actually I have already read a lot of things that you had to say about your job and your activities there Thanks for replying! I was beginning to think that this thread was just dead.

Yeah...I'm just like you as far as my cars are concerned. I usually try and pamper the little bugger. I just didn't know oil made a difference at all until just last week and I stumbled upon some threads on the subject. I'll be changing the filter and oil in my 280zx as well as the stuff in my new car. I'm thinking that mobile 1 will be where i'm headed but if I can find redline at Sam's or something I'll get me some of that I'll have to make a point to order a hamp filter as well...I'm a little concerned about the oil pressure problem but if there are smaller filters out there that are still high quality I'll be using that. Thanks for the advice!

Now all that's left on my list of future upgrades is finding a good head, and a good intake. My priority 1 is fuel economy so I'm compiling a list of products that will either not effect my consumption or lessen it. I've had the mechanic bug for going on a decade and it's not stopping now...but I'm considering it a personal challenge to collect pieces that will improve my fuel economy AND performance...if any exist that is...any ideas people?...hmmm...maybe I shoudl start another thread on this...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

if you go with the smaller filter, make sure you have a tool that can remove it in the future. ALL of my autozone oil filter wrenches WON'T fit around the thing. I ended up having to smash the crap out of it to get a firm grip to unscrew. I think honda sells their own tool though... but I went back to using Purolator filters.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

tool? who needs a tool? get yourself a pair of those $0.99 yellow rubber kitchen gloves.

|
|
Old 07-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

it really shouldnt be so tight that you cant unscrew it by hand. spin it until it stops, then go about a half turn more. thats all you need. then when you go to take it off, you dont need a wrench or special tool

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Adia's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerif27
Actually I have already read a lot of things that you had to say about your job and your activities there Thanks for replying! I was beginning to think that this thread was just dead.

Yeah...I'm just like you as far as my cars are concerned. I usually try and pamper the little bugger. I just didn't know oil made a difference at all until just last week and I stumbled upon some threads on the subject. I'll be changing the filter and oil in my 280zx as well as the stuff in my new car. I'm thinking that mobile 1 will be where i'm headed but if I can find redline at Sam's or something I'll get me some of that I'll have to make a point to order a hamp filter as well...I'm a little concerned about the oil pressure problem but if there are smaller filters out there that are still high quality I'll be using that. Thanks for the advice!

Now all that's left on my list of future upgrades is finding a good head, and a good intake. My priority 1 is fuel economy so I'm compiling a list of products that will either not effect my consumption or lessen it. I've had the mechanic bug for going on a decade and it's not stopping now...but I'm considering it a personal challenge to collect pieces that will improve my fuel economy AND performance...if any exist that is...any ideas people?...hmmm...maybe I shoudl start another thread on this...
from what i have read and understood, simply changing oil won't make the difference. its the longevity issues and driving habits which separate them all. now, if your grandparents had two 1998 accord sedans, one with reg oil and one with synthetic, im pretty sure they will probably have just as good performing an engine in either for the life of their car (or them for that matter).

now, put two same two cars in the hands of younger, more aggressive drivers for the next 15 years and i think the synthetic would be a better contender. mind you, there are other factors to consider however all things being equal, id prefer synthetic in all my cars over regular oil. but then you get into the whole "which snynthetic is better" debacle and thats where things get fun

hamp does make the small filter and the large one as well. the sk2 large filter is the same as the jdm green hamp large one and since i work at the delaership i get the s2k units for ridiculously low price (thanks honda ). K&N makes a very impressive filter as well and is similarly priced however im not quite sure of they have a small one yet for the newer hondas. your local auto parts store which sells the k&n filters should have a book there telling you whats available.

id prefer to stick with oem honda or hamp just because its made for your honda already. that whole peace of mind thing again.

p.s. actually, i don't pamper my car...im pretty aggressive with it but i rtake great care and concern with what i put into it so i can keep it going the way it has been :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Namaste
Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cerif27

Don't want you to get the wrong Idea...I beat the hell out of my car sometimes...I just like that everthing I DO to it is as close to the best/perfect as possible. And I don't set drinks on the hood and stuff like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in