Dynomax VT muffler: New favorite! Beaver approved! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver
Default Dynomax VT muffler: New favorite! Beaver approved!

This muffler gets two thumbs up. Up where? I don't know, but they are WAY up.

I had to replace the stock muffler about a month ago. The only muffler I could get on short notice that I thought I could tolerate was a Dynomax Superturbo. It sounds great, but, holy crapnuggets did it drooooooooooooooooooooone. I had some money come in and found a good price on a 2.5" Dynomax VT (from Summit on eBay, with free shipping, unlike regular orders from Summit!). These mufflers have a flap that is spring loaded to close most of the exhaust path at idle and low throttle positions when the mass flow is minimal.

Here's Dynomax's commercial for the muffler:

Here is there test of how well it works:

That is EXACTLY what it did with my car. +1 for a manufacturer meeting claims!

This is how my Legend sounds now:

This is before:

Yes, my dash is a mess. No, I don't need a CD deck. That 20+ year old Optimus headunit sounds almost as good as my Kenwood Excelon deck that I need to send in for warranty work. So NYAR!

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....boost ben It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Sounds sweet.

Checking to see if they have a 3"......

Edit: they have a centre in centre out 3"

Last edited by boost ben; 02-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.
boost ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 JBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagleJBrettHowell is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

You couldn't have pointed it out the window or at the tachometer or something? Nope...these are my boots, and my dash is a work in progress...or regress!

That is impressive. Ol' Yeller could certainly use something like that.
JBrettHowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

They have several 3" options.

One hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter, and I was in a heavy merge into rush hour traffic in NJ. So . . . No. heh

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I have no use for that 3" C-C one, I wish they had a 2.5" C-C unit. I have some idea of a pretty sweet tip I can weld up for what I have now, too.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews

how much was that muff dog?

i wonder how much the flap restricts flow WOT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 43 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

Oooo I want one.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 16 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 29 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
how much was that muff dog?

i wonder how much the flap restricts flow WOT...
There is quite a few guys on the evo forum running them and still making 450+whp with no issues...if that says something

2010-294whp D16Y7 T3/T4 24psi E85 12.77 @ 111mph!

2011-360whp D16Y7 GT3076R 25psi E85 12.05 @ 115mph!

2012-414whp D16Y7 GT3076R 28psi E85 11.68 @ 124mph!

Current Ride- 09 Acura TSX
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

yeah but anyone can make power, even with a restricted exhaust, with enough boost... but does it actually flow like a true straight through muffler?

im gonna assume its close... but not quite there.

if the spring ever bites the dust its gonna sound weird thats for sure tho!
Quote:
Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Lifetime warranty.

I like it. I don't know how much it flows. It sounds good. I might care about flow if I do a 2.5" header back, but, for now, it's more than fine!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Update after about 20+ hours of driving last weekend:

It gets a bit louder at about 70MPH. There is a very slight amount of drone when opening the throttle enough to maintain speed up a gentle incline or easing around a slow-poke in the cruising lane. This is really minor, IMO, and will likely disappear completely when I install a resonator. It sounds awesome otherwise and I really like it overall. I wish they made oval muffs, so I could install one in the center tunnel of my CRX.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Classic Man

finally got to see the video. nice. sounds good.
Quote:
Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!NeonPinHead is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 51 reviews

I was looking at this muffler at the local spot I take all my exhaust work to and I was interested. looks like the one I'm going with for my girls' boosted setup with 3" exhaust.

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

I think it would be great with a turbo. Turbos are awesome "resonators." LOL!

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Nice! id def get one for my crx if they made it.

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Um . . . You can install a muffler into just about any car, and the CRX definitely has enough space for almost all of these mufflers. That's how I installed it in my Legend.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 repusnam55 is learning the way of the Drepusnam55 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

i was thinking bolt on without welding etc. Idk i might give it a shot.

91 crx, Vitaras, a6/y8,16g.
repusnam55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

The stubs on the muffler are split. They are designed to be clamped.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 hondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regularhondalx97 is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to hondalx97

bought to replace my fart can haha, should be here soon updates to come

i like my cars like i like my women, with D's instead of B's

For all you HID needs let me know authorized reseller for sharphid and theretrofitsource!
shit blew up sale thread please helppp

PROJECTORS retofit service/supplies

hondalx97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Cool! I'm curious to hear how it sounds on a Civic.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in