Midpipes - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Midpipes

Ah, here goes the annual crap-I-put-on-the-car-and-promptly-took-off review event! All are for a '96 USDM EX VTEC sedan with I/H/E, and Flowmaster American Thunder muffler.

OEM- nice and quiet inside the car, even with a Flowmaster attached to the end. Efficient. Rusts a lot around all welds and immediately in front of rear flange. May need hangar adjustment to clear short throw shifter. Observed service life, in northern state: 3 years, give or take. About $140 from the dealer.

Auto Value- definitely a piece of junk. In conjunction with their muffler, fuel economy isn't good, and its noisy. Way too much back pressure. Resonator looks like a cherry bomb. Noisy inside the car with the Flowmaster, but less so than the custom pipe listed below. When the manifold was replaced with the header, it quieted down somewhat. Loves to rust away. Heat shield tends to break welds and buzz. Auto Value muffler and midpipe resonator tend to rust out at the same time. Crush-bent piping. Service life: about 2 years. I think it was under $200 for cat-back system.

DNX- what a piece of $%@&. Construction is very good, with excellent welds and fully stainless steel piping. Design flaws include an excessively long front hangar, which interferes with any short throw shifter, and a poorly-chosen pipe size of 2 3/8" OD, which makes interior noise pretty much intolerable and kills high-end power. Fuel economy dropped from 34mpg OEM to about 28mpg on the DNX, in similar conditions. Service life: unknown, but it didn't rust at all in 3 months, so a few years at least. About $120 from Summit racing.

Custom, no resonator- at least it works. Used my old rear bends and a custom 14ga. 2" straight pipe from the cat to the first bend in front of the gas tank. In the car, noise is much louder than OEM but quieter than the resonated DNX. Has a smooth and somewhat deep tone, probably from the Flowmaster. Any fart can will sound like a million bees and be even louder. Rear seat noise is quite loud. When in VTEC, exhaust noise is audible from well over a mile in front of the car, and maybe farther behind the car. Use welds when within 3' of catalytic converter due to pipe deterioration issues, as clamps won't hold over time. Torque isn't a problem anywhere if all gaskets seal up, and top-end power is extremely good. Mileage is comparable to OEM. Service life: depends on quality of job. Mine was made with extremely thick piping that hasn't rusted at all in 2 months, so probably the remaining life of the car. Cost about $50 from local muffler shop.

Last edited by green_hornet_96; 01-17-2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more....
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nor Cal D-series rider

Import Al It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Import Al Send a message via Yahoo to Import Al

Damn, I'm glad you did all this field testing for us! Seems like a custom exhaust is the best bang for your buck, unless you come across a great condition used system. I hate 1.5 inch stock STD exit piping...
Import Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

well damn, i was going to get the DNX midpipe, and their superturbo muffler, for the rear, that muffler is money!!!! so nice and quiet, but has a little growl on my crx!! looks like im going to get a 99-00 stock si catback, maybe get the super turbo for it anywyas later??
rob42386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 17 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Here's my custom one next to an OEM version. I loved that straight pipe into the Flowmaster, it made LOTS of torque down low. Drop the clutch at 2k rpm and still get a good burnout! Top end was nice too. The old Auto Value s-bend rusted away at the flange tho, so I had to let it go. I don't miss the noise... sounded identical to a Mitsubishi Eclipse, only a lot louder (I set off a car alarm backing up once).

I kinda like the OEM. It seems to need time to build flow through it, so there's some kind of lag when running it. Low end power sucks. Top end is decent. Noise is not an issue, its dang quiet. Pain in the BUTT to make it clear the short throw shifter-- I had to make the rubber isolator push DOWN instead of holding the pipe just so I can shift into 5th. Odd observation- I don't have to hold the gas pedal as far down as my old one to cruise at 55.

EDIT: More!
My loss of low end was a combination of my timing resetting itself to 12deg again, a new resonator, and me forgetting to move my seat after I quit wearing my winter jacket. Duh. Low end is real good now, and top end too.

Pics of the DNX and its royal crappiness coming up soon.

(If this pic doesn't show up, reload the page.)

Last edited by green_hornet_96; 04-08-2005 at 02:14 PM. Reason: more!
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in