Magnaflow vs Maxflow muffler review - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 civicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Magnaflow vs Maxflow muffler review

Here's a comparison of my old Magnaflow muffler to my new Maxflow muffler.

I've had the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on my car for a good 6 years now. After years of abuse, it was beginning to show. First I had a weld crack on the resonator. Got that patched up real quick. Then the hangers on the muffler broke off at the welds. Part of the reason these happened was probably due to the motor mount inserts I have. Making the whole exhaust shake and with no flex pipe, putting strain on the welds. The other was probably some slight rust around the welds on the muffler. The rest of the exhaust piping is still in good shape so I decided to leave the piping alone, keep the Magnaflow resonator and just weld in the new Maxflow muffler. This is also with the stock cat in there and DC Sports 4-2-1 header.

Overall, the Maxflow muffler sounds waaaay better. It is quieter throughout the RPM's. It has a nice deep tone to it, no rasp to it at all surprisingly. It does not drone inside the car, I can listen to my music and talk with ease now. With a 2.25" slant cut tip instead of the 4" tip, it looks much much better. The Maxflow is also slightly lighter than the Magnaflow muffler. And the guy who installed this muffler said I'd probably gain a tiny bit more power due to the design of the Maxflow over the Magnaflow.

Got this video before and after I replaced the Magnaflow. I shot the video with a GoPro Hero and also a regular point & shoot Canon camera so you could get the best idea of how these sound.

Magnaflow vs Maxflow - YouTube

Couple of pictures.
Old Magnaflow. The hole is where the hanger used to be.

During installation of the Maxflow. Notice my bumper is messed up around the lip. That's due to the massive 4" tip from the Magnaflow melting away the plastic...

Straight shot with the tip on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Karcepts RaceDayVinyl SSC Tint & Graphics
4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
2x CDC Small Bore Series Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
civicexracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 16 reviews

Sounds decent. Where did you get it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....ZCHONDACRX91 is almost there....
iTrader Score: 47 reviews

Sounds good, I always hated the raspy magnaflow exhaust. +rep

ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 civicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enoughcivicexracer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Sounds decent. Where did you get it?
Friend of mine works at an exhaust shop around here. I just bought the muffler from the shop, it was $55. Total was $135 for muffler, new hangers, hanger rods, tubing for the tip and labor.

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....snm95ls Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
Friend of mine works at an exhaust shop around here. I just bought the muffler from the shop, it was $55. Total was $135 for muffler, new hangers, hanger rods, tubing for the tip and labor.
Interesting.

Would you be willing to help me get a hold of a 3 inch version maybe?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

Sir, you need a tune. Your using to much fuel, via blak smoke.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 21 robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!robscrx is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

looks and sounds a lot better
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Interesting.

Would you be willing to help me get a hold of a 3 inch version maybe?
I remember my friend saying they were made by Jones. Looked it up and here's a list of their Maxflow muffler sizes/specs.

Performance Exhaust Systems

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 22 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

hmmm interesting i have to get rid of my raspy magnaflow oval . great now im torn between this a vibrant or dynomax

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2

Last edited by greasemonkey89; 01-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 48 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eddcartes Send a message via Yahoo to eddcartes

dang it sounds real nice. i are sold. where can i get one?
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.

rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:

my dyno compe build:

eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 ShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the communityShakeThisEf  is accepted as part of the community
iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Sounds good. My buddy got rid of his magna flow for a vibrant one. Sounds waaayyy better.
ShakeThisEf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!

Rep Power: 32 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Onatop Send a message via Yahoo to Onatop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
dang it sounds real nice. i are sold. where can i get one?
X2

Often replicated but never DUPLICATED & NEVER done like D&M Tuning
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onatop View Post
X2
Call up your local exhaust shops and ask for a Jones Maxflow. It's not just a bolt on type muffler so you may need to go to a shop anyways(unless you can weld and do a little pipe bending).

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The_Acid_Beaver

That video comparison should be the )(*#$(*#$ standard as to how to do a dang muffler/exhaust comparison.

It sounds good, too, though . . . the only time I have ever heard a Magnaflow sound that bad is when there is either no cat, or no resonator (or a resonator that is too short). I happen to like the combination of a Cherry Bomb and Magnaflow very much. That new muff sounds pretty effing good, though.

I don't give a damn about my bad reputation.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

sounds much cleaner, I like a lot
Klingfreek13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Nice write up with an awesome video review! Love the new sound of the Maxflow Muffler!
Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Jomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regularJomama is obviously a regular
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I found a few on ebay for about $60-$70 with a nice video as well.

Youtube:

Ebay:
FULL BOAR Max Flow SS muffler 2.25" IN/OUT | eBay
Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Much better!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

I really wish the case was made of a better grade of stainless, but it isn't gonna stop me from giving one a try when I upgrade exhaust.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
I found a few on ebay for about $60-$70 with a nice video as well.

Youtube:
Magnaflow vs. Full Boar muffler flow comparison - YouTube

Ebay:
FULL BOAR Max Flow SS muffler 2.25" IN/OUT | eBay
LOL that video was made by the shop I had this muffler done at. Mandrel Bending Solutions in Pasadena, MD. Greg Jones is my friend who works there. If anyone in the MD area needs exhaust work done, he's done it all and is very good and passionate about his work and I highly recommend him.

4x A.I. ST Champion
5x WDCR ST Champion
1x CDC Index Champion
2x NCCBMW X4 Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in