Makku's ECU Chipping Service - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 My93Civic is learning the way of the DMy93Civic is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Default Makku's ECU Chipping Service

Hi this review is based on Makku's ECU chipping service. I contacted Makku about helping to chip my ECU. My engine is a JDM D15B VTEC and I had a P06 ECU. I live in Canada so I wouldn't think Makku would want to do it for someone that far but he did. Great guy, easy to talk to and everything worked out great.

Got the ECU back and had two chips come along with it. One stock P08 chip, and one modified chip. Today I idled it for the first time with the Mod chip and it's the s**t I haven't tested driving yet, but I imagine it would kickass also.

He did a great job, and nice solderng job too. Would work with him again in the future if needed. Great job Makku and keep up the great work! Nice prices too. If you need your ECU done, get Makku to do it.

When everyone in Canada didn't want to do my ECU cuz its a automatic, Makku did!

Now on to some pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by My93Civic; 12-11-2004 at 08:32 AM.
My93Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

yes! thanks for the kind words. I am glad it didn't throw any codes... I was pretty sure it was good, but this is my first time dealing with an auto.

Those pics make everything look nice

BTW, I don't know if you noticed, but in the pic that shows the whole circuit board, there is a row of 3 tall transistors on the left side towards the back. The 3rd one in back was the one I added for the VTEC conversion. Plus a few little things around it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
forecast for tomorrow... a few sprinkles of genius with a chance for DOOM!
Quote:
But I thought you said TV was bad?
It is... but we fucking need it.

Last edited by makku; 12-11-2004 at 12:33 PM.
makku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 16 My93Civic is learning the way of the DMy93Civic is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by makku
yes! thanks for the kind words. I am glad it didn't throw any codes... I was pretty sure it was good, but this is my first time dealing with an auto.

Those pics make everything look nice

BTW, I don't know if you noticed, but in the pic that shows the whole circuit board, there is a row of 3 tall transistors on the left side towards the back. The 3rd one in back was the one I added for the VTEC conversion. Plus a few little things around it.
Heh. Cool thanks for the info. I compared the old vs the new and saw new things that were put in, I just didn't know what was done to enable VTEC. Now I know! Whew. Makku is the ECU King!

Old 12-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

S Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the skyS Q A D is about to kiss the sky
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Dr. Mack strikes again

good shit man - glad everything worked out
S Q A D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

nice ZIFF sockets, makes chip changing a snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
pisetup

I have a D15B VTEC w/ a P28 ECU. I dont know much about the whole ECU 'chipping' thing. So what can you do with my P28 to enhance the performance of my D15B?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

makku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussiemakku is a Top Aussie
Send a message via AIM to makku Send a message via MSN to makku Send a message via Yahoo to makku

well let me preface this by saying: No one has done a side-by-side comparison on a dyno of the p28 vs a p08 on a d15b.

BUT, the p08 has different fuel and ignition maps than a p28. I'm running the p08 maps on my converted pr4 ecu. It feels great, but I've never tried a p28 either.

So it's your call whether on not you want to try out some p08 maps on your engine. However, I can hook you up with some datalogging hardware so you can eventually tune your car using uberdata or Chrome (and a wide-band o2 sensor).

Also, if you want to experiment with different name-brand chips (Mugen, etc), you have to get your ECU setup like the one above.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
pisetup

Here's the thing. I have no idea what is best as far as fuel maps and such. I had a chipped P28 before and the VTEC was @ 6K, redline was @ 9K. I had no clue what I was buying, all I know was that I need a P28 to get my car running. And once I drove it, it was quick! I sold that ECU and bought a stock P28. But the car feels so slow. It doesnt rev as fast as the other ECU.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 43 reviews

why did u sell it if u liked it??
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

here's the thing...

those so-called "performance" chips basically have maps that are tuned on a car with a certain modified setup. For example, a true Mugen chip would most likely be the ideal tune on a car outfitted with all the Mugen crap... intake,exhaust,headers,maybe a cam, etc. They put the car on the dyno before and after the chip and show... "look! the car got 10 more hp!".

Will that happen to you if you install their chip? Most likely no. Will you get some performance boost? Maybe. But, it certainly isn't tuned for your particular setup. All headers and intakes are different. You might even be getting less horsepower over a particular range. It's up to chance. What will most certainly happen, is you will waste more fuel. Because the majority of "performance" chips just have increased fuel over the whole map. Maybe even ignition advance (might cause some detonation if you're not careful). The most notable effect to ricers, of course, is the increased rev limit. Sure, some setups need it but most do not. But it's an actual visual difference.

So here's the deal. If you want, I can supply you with a stock d15b chip. The way the ecu chipping works, is that it's completely reversible. You remove one jumper and it's back to stock. So you can test between the p28 and p08 maps. I can also set your rev limit to whatever you want. I can remove your speed governor. I can also set your vtec point to whatever you want. I can also provide a 2nd chip with any other program you want... I could try to find a commercial ROM (there are some floating around). Or I could just increase your fuel values across the board by 3% or so. This might help (more air from free flowing intake/header/exhaust requires more fuel)... or it may just waste a little more fuel.

It's your call... I can't tune the car in person. So, you either have to take a chance or pay $$$ for a dyno guy to tune it for you.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 41 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bizzar Send a message via MSN to Bizzar Send a message via Yahoo to Bizzar

Makku heres a little tip. Take the zif and make a riser for it. Two, one stacked ontop of the other then make a cutout on the top ECU cover. This will enable you to change chips without removing the cover. Here's how mine is setup. Works like a charm! Click the image for a larger view.

Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey, that's pretty cool. wouldn't have to shave the side of the zif socket to get it to fit either. Nice job!

But I'd be a little worried about static electricity though. Might want to rig a plastic fliptop over that thing.

It wouldn't work well with the RTP board I'm making though.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

hey makku you got any experience with the ecu's for the d17? i think it is obdIII

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

can't do anything with obd3... yet..

but since nobody really did anything with obd2, I doubt there will be obd3 hacks.

The only easily modifiable ECUs are obd0 and obd1 ecus.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-14-2004, 05:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

damn that sucks...so what would be my choices? piggy backs(vafc)?

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 443 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 80 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ryan89crx Send a message via MSN to ryan89crx

this is awesome!!! to Makku!!

[email protected]
Xbox 360 gamertag -
TurboDiesel598

, best bang for your buck!

ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
this is awesome!!! to Makku!!
I agree. I'm getting him free marketing for his awesome work...haha

Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

no complaints here

You still never told me how it drove... only that it idled well.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
DOG

Rep Power: 19 DOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatnessDOG is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DOG

Get my PM yet makku? I want you to work on a couple of ecu's.

DOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
the MAD scientist

mikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top AussiemikeD16Z6 is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 25 reviews

Hey Makku,
Can you take Bizzar's idea a step further (an excellent idea BTW because I'm tired of unhooking everything to re-chip)

Take this $9 cable from http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=64 and solder a zif socket on the other end. Then run the cable with the zif to the glove box or something like that so you can change tunes from there. I may try this myself when I have more time.
Just throwing ideas out there...
mikeD16Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in