The Truth About FRAM (and other filters) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory Product Reviews

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to torturedsol
Default The Truth About FRAM (and other filters)

Okay, so it was brought up in another thread that Fram filters are shitty. Working at Advance we made a display for the oil filters we sell(excluding OEM filters). Keep in mind that I work for Advance and they no longer carry the Wix line of filters. Thus, I have no way to put brand X vs a Wix filter. These are the most common sold filters through the Advance chane of stores.

Sorry for the shitty phone pics but they'll do. In order from left to right we have: K&N, Mobil 1 Extended life filter, Purelator PureOne, and Fram tough gaurd.

Apon cutting open the cases of the K&N and Mobile units you'll notice that the filtering materials look the same; This is because they are the same material in a differant case(and one costs more).

K&N:

Mobil:

The mid-grade filter here is the Purelator PureOne filter. It shares similar construction to the Mobils and K&Ns with the tighter filter packing, metal end pieces and check valves.

Purelator:

Now it comes down to the Fram filter. Crap for packing, the end pieces look to be kindergarden construction paper hot glued to the filter media, there's no check valve and they typicaly have less oil capacity than most filters. Feast your eyes apon the most sold filter in the Advance chain of stores:

Fram Tough Guard(aka their preium filter under the racing filter)

I used to use Fram filters until I installed one on my old Chevy 3100 v6 and the filter media gave way blocking oil flow. Only reason I knew I had a restriction was the fact my oil light came on. Most of the time there after I used the Purelator filters until companies started doing specials on synthetic oils with Mobil 1 filters.

I'm sure some of you have seen setups like this. For those who haven't I hope it serves as an educational aid that fram = garbage.

Edit: Popped in Fisher Auto (Federated Auto) and they had some filters cut open.

Advance Auto Parts brand Filter. AKA Purelator filter but $2 cheaper and the PowerFlo filter(also from AAP) they keep at the commercial counter, you have to ask for it by name... Both of which are better quality than fram haha

And the requested WIX brand Filter: NAPA, Fisher/Federated, not sure who else has them but WIX is a popular brand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by torturedsol; 01-27-2009 at 02:43 PM.
torturedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

EKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

Yea I agree with that. I worked in the pit of a quick lube for a couple years. Pennzoil filters are the same as a fram. I used to have to look into and inspect every filter. I have seen so many I take out of a box and look inside and its crushed with no external damage. There garbage.
EKboostedY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

im a mobil 1 guy for a reason

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
El Noob

Rep Power: 27 LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....
LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to LoSt GhoSt

Good deal man. Thanks for the info. Im a wix man after reading an article about oil filters.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
boostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcanoboostfreak0885 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to boostfreak0885

ive used fram filters for about 6 years now with out a problem...

nothing wrong with them.. but again, i change my oil after every track event, and its also just a drag car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best time so far
11.201 at 128mph with a 1.79 60 foot.. damn i need traction, best trap speed is 129mph. 26psi h1c

NEW best 60' 1.56!!!
boostfreak0885 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 21 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

bosch?

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 InvaderTrax is almost a somebodyInvaderTrax is almost a somebodyInvaderTrax is almost a somebodyInvaderTrax is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to InvaderTrax

Crack open a Walmart SuperTech one I'm curious :P

InvaderTrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i like WIX and K&N but are you saying K&N is the same inside the can as the Mobile 1 and possibly the Purolater..?

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 35 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Door Life View Post
i like WIX and K&N but are you saying K&N is the same inside the can as the Mobile 1 and possibly the Purolater..?
K&N and the Mobil have the SAME internals, right down to the numbers stamped on the filter media. K&N has a slightly thicker filter shell + the fancy nut welded on it. Oh, and it cost like $5 more lol

For shits and giggles I'll stop in Wal Mart and get a Supertech filter and hack it open. I'll see if I can squeeze in to Napa and snag a wix filter too.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 SpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcano
SpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SpoonSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by estldmwhore View Post
bosch?
x2 i wanna know

New to D-series? Click

Quote:
Fuck cali.

No offense. That state is a pimple on the ass of America.
SpoonSedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonSedan View Post
x2 i wanna know
Who sells Bosch, guess I can pick one of those up too lol

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedsol View Post
Who sells Bosch, guess I can pick one of those up too lol
dood, who's paying for this reseach..? you can end up spending a nice shiney penny before your done
<--random smiley's lol

10/3/1945-6/16/2007

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 19 SpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcano
SpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcanoSpoonSedan is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SpoonSedan

Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts, and Murray's Discount Auto Parts

New to D-series? Click

Quote:
Fuck cali.

No offense. That state is a pimple on the ass of America.
SpoonSedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Happy LiL Trees....

JPB-EJ1 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Nice thread, bro. Damn I've gotta change out my Fram :tu:

JPB-EJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

I have always used Fram. Fram Extra Guard to be axact. I have a new one right here I wonder if I should cut it open lol.
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
I have always used Fram. Fram Extra Guard to be axact. I have a new one right here I wonder if I should cut it open lol.
i think you know what you will find...

DISSAPOINTMENT

10/3/1945-6/16/2007

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 24 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 46 reviews

no supertech or value craft ( autozone )

so what's the bottom line/conclusion here? fram is shit? the filters look the same to me. DERRRRRR!

Last edited by guest; 11-13-2008 at 10:03 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 42 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 143 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sleepingciv Send a message via MSN to sleepingciv Send a message via Yahoo to sleepingciv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Door Life View Post
i think you know what you will find...

DISSAPOINTMENT
lol prob so. but i took it outta the box and the bottom is rusty lol im gona open this bitch up. how do i do it with out stabbing myself lol
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
lol prob so. but i took it outta the box and the bottom is rusty lol im gona open this bitch up. how do i do it with out stabbing myself lol
pipe cutter..?

10/3/1945-6/16/2007

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 46 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

I've been using Fram Oil Filters for YEARS! I have been using that Sure Grip Oil Filter ever since it came out. Fram FTW!

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/product-reviews/100574-truth-about-fram-other-filters.html
Posted By For Type Date
CRX Community Forum &bull; View topic - What oil do you use? This thread Refback 06-09-2009 02:56 AM