Honda D Series Forum banner

2 alternators dead in less than 6 months.. what to look at?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  BeerDrinkin 
#1 ·
As the title says I killed another alternator this weekend. It just has low voltage output the same thing happened to the one before but started with bearing noise. I've recently changed the battery which I thought was the cause for the first one to fail but now I'm thinking wiring? Both alts have come from NAPA so maybe even just a bad batch of remans? What wiring things should I look into? I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but at the moment I am stumped. I am thinking about upgrading the charge cable to 8ga as the ends look a little rough on my current charge wire. Any and all help is appreciated!

Reactions: jmn822000
#2 ·
If the FR wire gets grounded it will full field the alternator which can* damage it, usually damages other things too thou. Napa brand alts? The shop I work for uses Remey and seems to have great success with them

Reactions: car_freak66
#4 ·
I always have the auto store test the Alt before purchasing.. One guy looked at me crazy and was annoyed, but when the alt was faulty right from the box, he seemed surprised..

You'd be surprised how many remans are garbage right out of the box.

#7 ·
They are currently building one here. :)

Double check belt isnt over tensioned.

Have battery tested. Battery could be shorted internally or even just in dire need of a case cleaning.

I suppose checking the harness for breaks would be a good idea. Check connection at fuse box as well. Double check when installing you arent turning the positive wire stud by accident.
Belt is just tight enough that it stops squealing on start up but it is snug.

I know the battery is good because even at -20 it will start the car and has sat for a month straight and still fired right up. Its also pretty new.

I just need to find a wiring diagram for the alt and thats a good idea to check the stud.

#6 ·
Double check belt isnt over tensioned.

Have battery tested. Battery could be shorted internally or even just in dire need of a case cleaning.

I suppose checking the harness for breaks would be a good idea. Check connection at fuse box as well. Double check when installing you arent turning the positive wire stud by accident.

#8 ·
Never a bad idea to upgrade your wiring. Most guys never seem to think that bad grounds are the culprit. Also go up a size over your power wire. This will help as well. I did the big 3 upgrade (google) and have never had an issue with power. I have 2 amps running g my system and the headlights never dim on the stock alt. A shorted or corroded wire can kill and alt very fast.

#16 ·
I will google the big 3 upgrade. I do have 2ga power and ground from the battery to the starter and trans mount bracket. I also have a single 10ga wire from the alt adjuster bracket to the shock bolt.

Ok so this got me thinking....

Painted block or alternator bracket?
Nope. What are your thoughts though?

#13 ·
NAPA alternators are garbage.

#17 ·
I ran 2/0 gauge from the alt to the batt. From batt to trans. Also ran 4 Guage from my power steering to chassis. Cb7 (accord). Never had an issue.

#18 ·
So looking at the big 3 thing my ground side is done and I just need to do the positive side. So I ordered a power stud and my charging system should be solid. I might end up rebuilding a oem one I have laying around too. The track opens April 4th and I cant wake to make some passes on a properly tuned set up. :)

#19 ·
Look up a local repair place that will work on OEM alternators & starters. I am lucky there's one literally down the street. They fix them for a fraction of what a reman'd costs, and this place even repaired a unit they'd fixed a year previous (stuck brush) for free in 10 minutes. Places like these can't survive if they let their reputation go to shit, since most of the time it's word of mouth advertising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.