Honda D Series Forum banner

Battery Relocation Questions

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  cpierich 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about relocating my battery to the trunk but going with a larger battery to support my 2 amps. right now I've got the stock battery, a 300watt amp for my front speakers and a 500watt amp for my sub. power drain is noticeable at higher volumes. instead of adding another battery in the trunk i'd like to just relocate a larger one. I'll be boxing it appropriately and running he correct gauge wiring to the front. I'm just wondering what size/type of battery would work best.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a capacitor already. Ive been told that adding a second battery in the trunk would be better than any capacitor...

The biggest huh? Like an rv bus deep cycle battery i have sitting at the shop? lol

I was thinking of going with 0ga welding cable with the most strand count to run to the front.

#6 ·
okay which of these is the problem:

the voltage drops when the bass hits but comes right back
the voltage drops when you're parked and listening to music for awhile
the voltage drops when your car is on+music for awhile

#14 ·
Optima red top,2 gauge to starter,4gauge to fuse box and amps and a 160 or 180 amp alternator is what I'm using with the same watt amps you have and I don't have a problem. I've even used the stock honda size battery with no problems. Hids,heat on full blast,music bumping.

So what I think you should do is upgrade your alternator and get a new battery.

#22 ·
running a diode would require 1 wire to charge it 6ga? and one to bypass it manually with the switch to start it 4ga?. K.I.S.S. 1 0ga wire to feed both fuse box and starter run to the front with a relay in between being powered by the extra battery w/ an inline fuse then a ground that's closed while the car is running then a separate ground to bypass it... is it an 80 or 100 amp fuse in the box for main? thats all you would need the relay rated for. the grounds can be like 16...14ga depending on the draw from the tiny electromagnet.

#26 · (Edited)
What style amps are you using?
Depending on the type the can be very power demanding.

When I had my old set up I never had voltage problems:
Red top optima
3.5F cap
Stock alt.
Running one classD 2000rms w amp and 12" sub

But before i did:
Stock batt
Stock alt
3F cap
2x 800rms amps classAB-12 4x6" speaker and 2 12" subs
1x 1100rmps amp classD- 10" 1000rms w sub
Later a 2nd battery helped w/ this set up

The older style of class AB draw a lot more power than the newer class D's for the same wattage

#29 ·
Battery isolator is not necessary for 2 batteries. Run an xs in the front and a high output alternator. You could also run another xs power in the rear. Don't forget to do the "big 3" wire and ground upgrade.

I'm running a mechman alternator and sams club battery with a 2 kicker zx amps. Waiting in my sx battery to come in.

Also 0 or 1 gauge wiring. Try and do the big 3 first and see what happens.

#30 ·
Wouldn't worry about a 2nd battery till you isolate the cause of the 1st battery drain. Should stay charged over the span of a weekend. Check alternator,power drain or that the battery aint got bad cells. ive ran 2krms plus all my gauges on stock batt forever with only headlight dim on drops.Big 3 is a nice easy mod but like stated above caps are a waste of $ and thats coming from a ex mecp installer lol. Going through same thing now. Brand new batt drains overnight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.