Honda D Series Forum banner

zc hybrid tranny

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Trench_Rat 
#1 ·
Ive done numerous searches but cant really seem to find much info on what gearsets i can mix and match , im wanting to try and create a close ratio style gearbox for my crx. The base will be a jdm l3 zc gearbox which has a hell big jump from 2nd to 3rd , i want to make this jump a bit smaller. Ive seen that the jdm zxi integra l3 has a higher ratio 3rd and 4th would these be a good swap? or for that matter are they interchangable at all? does anybody have any other suggestions for good combinations from jdm boxes as this is all i have access to.

thanks-hamish

#3 ·
The JDM ZXi SOHC ZC trans has the same 1-5 gears as the USDM Si Box.
A mean set up would be the JDM DOHC ZC 1-4 or just 3+4 into the 4.437 FD.

That's something I'm working on.
The Exploded Views of tranny's make things look discouraging til you find it's just a buncha repeated parts over and over again.

#4 ·
im not too concerned about final drive because i will be using an aftermarket lsd which is currently in my dohc zc tranny i was told by the guy i brought it off that it is around a 4.2 ratio but cant find any markings on it to confirm this but it feels nice and responsive for 1-2 its just that big jump into 3rd that kills my acceleration. i was thinking of swapping the dohc zc 1.250 3rd to a zxi 1.346 and maybe even the 4th gear aswell which is a 1.033 instead of the dohc zc which is 0.909.

G
#5 ·
just remember, just cause it's an lsd doesn't mean your final drive is anything special. the final drive is determined by the ratio of what is in the counter shaft and the ring gear that is bolted to the diff. (lsd or open) chances are it's a standard ZC final drive (3.88:1 I think off the top of my head)

To the US based guys, how hard is it and what is the cost of a 4.4:1 final drive box?

cheers guys

#6 ·
ah true i didnt think that the ring gear would still be standard man im stupid i will have a look at this when i rip it apart , at this stage its looking like im going to use a zc with zxi 3rd and 4th will see how that goes and decide then if i want to change final drive

#8 ·
would that be with the zxi final drive? im going to buy an entire zxi box because its just as cheap as trying to find gear sets so i could do this instead. Would my lsd fit into the zxi tranny? it cost me an arm and a leg so i really would like it to swap over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.