D16y8 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Dserieslife has been punished by the users of d-series.org
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16y8

Hey guys I'm new here as well to the honda scene. I have a 98 civic ex with the d16y8 motor. Any suggestions on what route to go with a n/a build?
Dserieslife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Never finishes (TWSS)

Rep Power: 18 Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!Evanguy is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

What are you looking for in the motor? Is it a DD?

135whp.na should be pretty easy. Over 150 gets hard and expensive.

I my self.love Dseries and have built many. Have loads of.time and money invested so when I say this, it's not be cause i don't like dseries but beause for 80% of people it's the best idea for na power is to swap a b20 bone stock in the car. Cheap, easy and reliable.

An f22 would be awesome too and you can get the.motoe for free.

If you were boosting of for sure stay dseries. Easy to make 400whp
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Yea its gonna be a dd as well as a budget build and maybe way down the road boost but for now will be a n/a build

I was thinking maybe high compression pistons rods cam valves springs etc.. but like I said I'm new to all this so is gonna be a learning process for me as well

What u mean get motor for free?

Last edited by slo_eg8; 05-16-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

free
/frē/
adjective
not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
"I have no ambitions other than to have a happy life and be free"
not or no longer confined or imprisoned.
"the researchers set the birds free"
synonyms: on the loose, at liberty, at large; More
adverb
without cost or payment.
"ladies were admitted free"
synonyms: without charge, free of charge, for nothing, complimentary, gratis, gratuitous, at no cost; More

SAILING
with the sheets eased.
verb
release from captivity, confinement, or slavery.
"they were freed from jail"
synonyms: release, liberate, discharge, emancipate, set free, let go, set at liberty, set loose, let loose, turn loose, deliver; More
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Wow. I know what free means was asking how? He said I could get the motor for free
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 17 robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!
robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!robgoof is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dserieslife View Post
Wow. I know what free means was asking how? He said I could get the motor for free
it's ok..

if your mom had a rusted out accord that was getting scraped she might consider letting you have the engine for next to nothing .
robgoof is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dserieslife View Post
Honda's are cheap buy an Accord for $200 pull the drive train out take the rest of the car to a scrap yard after you part out a few pieces at that point it should either be free or have made you money.

Last car I bought was $700 (Totaled)
Had B20 with GSR trans on Hondata with SI wheels.

I pulled everything I wanted off of it put it in a car I had spent $200 on a shell for this car came with a ton of parts guy was clearing out his garage.

Sold the car i pulled everything from to the local junkyard for $160
Then sold the car I moved everything into for $1200

-$900 spent on cars and parts
+$200 junking 1 car
+$1200 on the car with the swap
+$500ish on all the junk that came with the $200 car
=+$1000 in profit for taking other people junk at low cost and willing to work on and sit on parts till them move.

RIP PAT
Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

an NA d16y8 is spendy based purely on parts availability.

There are nowhere near the camshaft options there was even as little as 5 years ago.

I can attest to a stock f22b2 being hilariously fun in a civic.

The f22b is super common in 94-97 accords, and the 1st gen odyssey vans had the f22b5 or b6, which had a slightly better factory camshaft.

Either way, a f22b2 with only a head slice for more compression can easily hit 120whp and be one of the most reliable engines to beat the shit out of.

a simple ebay header (if you can find one that doesnt leak) adds noticeable power as well.

d16y8 motors just dont like to co-operate with budget builds for NA.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks guys for the info. Really helpful as this is all new to me. Never done a motor build before let alone a swap but I'll try anything. Next step gonna try and find that motor. Is there alot of fab work when doing the swap?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Could always B swap it as well if wanted.
Will need mounts, CV shafts, Shift linkage, & ECU to run it all other than the engine and trans of course.

RIP PAT
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 19 civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!civicdxude is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
an NA d16y8 is spendy based purely on parts availability.

There are nowhere near the camshaft options there was even as little as 5 years ago.

I can attest to a stock f22b2 being hilariously fun in a civic.

The f22b is super common in 94-97 accords, and the 1st gen odyssey vans had the f22b5 or b6, which had a slightly better factory camshaft.

Either way, a f22b2 with only a head slice for more compression can easily hit 120whp and be one of the most reliable engines to beat the shit out of.

a simple ebay header (if you can find one that doesnt leak) adds noticeable power as well.

d16y8 motors just dont like to co-operate with budget builds for NA.
id politely disagree with you a bit here.

i had a stroker d17y8 for a while and that was a blast of an engine. a few people had them on this forum. they are cheap to build and mine revved pretty dang well.

now i did have headwork done so you could skip that if you wanted to really stay on a budget. but yea the y8 head is great for compression with its quench area and what not.

your right about cam choices. its like crower is pretty much it for off the shelf cams for these engines anymore.

civicdxude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in