What ecu to use - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default What ecu to use

Hello guys swaped in d16y8, can a p2e ecu activate vtec? If not what ecu should i get or is there another way to activate vtec? Thank you.
Quito16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 23 79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....79hilux90crx Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

OBD II Car with D16Y8 Factory ECU would be P2P
OBD I Car with D16Y8 I would use P28
98 Jeep Cherokee 4" Lift Cut Fenders 33x12.50 Daily/Offroad Toy
14 Subaru Forester XT Touring 2.0 Turbo (Wifes Ride)
92 Mustang 2.3 5 Speed 325K on the clock and counting
07 V-Star 650 Classic Space Consumer in the shop

RIP PAT
79hilux90crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
OBD II Car with D16Y8 Factory ECU would be P2P
OBD I Car with D16Y8 I would use P28
Understood, i have a 1998 civic d16y7 with a d16y8 swap and converted to manual tranny, my question is if i conect the vtec selenoid and pressure switch to the corresponding ecu pins, will the P2E ecu it actualy has activate vtec?

Thanks.
Quito16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quito16 View Post
Understood, i have a 1998 civic d16y7 with a d16y8 swap and converted to manual tranny, my question is if i conect the vtec selenoid and pressure switch to the corresponding ecu pins, will the P2E ecu it actualy has activate vtec?

Thanks.
is the p2e a p2p that was already mentioned? do you search?
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 2 drtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropesdrtalon123 is starting to learn the ropes

If the P2E was the original one that came with the car, then no. The software in it is designed around the D16Y7 non-VTEC engine, not the Y8. Even if it had the VTEC components in it, it's the software/program that enables the VTEC transistor to turn on the high side switching transistor when it's the right time.

You are free to run the wires from the VTEC solenoid to the appropriate terminal spot at the ECU plug, but without an ECU with the correct software/hardware combo designed to engage VTEC when required, nothing will happen.

As 79hilux90crx said, To keep the car OBD2, you will need the manual P2P ECU, or else you will need to use a chassis conversion harness to go OBD1 VTEC converted P06/P28/P30/P72 with the appropriate chip flashed with the right software/program.

It's much more a pain in the a** to go OBD1 if you aren't going to be prepared for the run around needed to get the program installed to the ECU, or the run around necessary with trying to pass emissions in your country/state/county running an OBD1 ECU in your OBD2 chassis. You will have no live data for the emissions testing machine to read from the OBD2 port, which is an automatic fail/ineligible. The only exception to this rule is if you magically happen to live in one of the last areas where emissions testing is done via live loaded dyno testing (probably not, most countries have gone to OBD to pass/fail vehicles related to emissions) OR you live in an emissions testing exempt country/state/county. This is what Florida is good for

If you are staying N/A, for plug and play reasons and less headache just get a P2P manual ECU and finish running the VTEC control wire.
drtalon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in