My First Honda!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Everything Else Ľ New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default My First Honda!!!

Hey everyone. I just purchased my first Honda! Itís a 98 civic ex Coupe with 5 speed. I bought the car in pieces. The body is in great shape. The previous owner ought it as a project. The motor failed. I bought it because it came with a ďnewĒ(to me) engine. Ive never had a small car or import. The spare engine is a y7. It doesnít have VTEC on the head. Iíve pulled the head from the bad engine to see if I can swap it. Itís soaking in simple green right now. I hope the old head can be cleaned up enough to be reliable. My memory card failed so Iíll have to take some more pictures. Iíll spend hours looking through threads but will need some help. I purchased head gasket set, belt, water pump, and distributor. Thanks I. Advance. PS, Iím in north MS and would like to see if there are some other inthusiast around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD617EA7-B971-4E1B-9B9E-BEF2694DB16D.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	536.2 KB
ID:	124861  
dmeeks82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

you have in the works whats called a mini-me, also known as a vtec head swap.

It works in your advantage. instead of a full d16y8 like the EX originally would have come with, you have a franken-Y8 that has a nice bump in compression, since the d16y7 head uses a larger head chamber and a smaller piston dish.

Its good for a noticeable bump in power, mpg, and snappiness. Nothing to write home about, but in a situation like this, its a great little bonus.

It will run perfect on the original EX ecu, so no worries.

Find a smooth, clean piece of granite countertop and a good piece of glass, some 800, 1200, and 2000 grit sandpaper and WD-40, and you could get the head surface cleaned up pretty well, as long as the head is free of damage. Take the camshaft out and inspect the bore of the cam mains for debris and scorring prior to use.

Be sure to search about this swap, as there is an oil jet you need to pop out of the d16y7 block in order to provide oil pressure to the vtec system, else you will get more practice swapping motors.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Sweet! She looks in good condition.
atx4five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Simple green is a degreaser yeah? Should you be worried about it softening the valve seals?

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks for the replies everyone. The car looks great. Itís low. Very low. Top of the back tires are leaning in at the top.
Simple green is a degreaser. I donít know if it will hurt the valve seals. Two of the valves are partially stuck open so Iím going to have to remeove them. The cam has some groves on the tops of the lines that Iím worried about. Iím trying to get this running on the cheap.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Hereís the engine after I removed the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C80A2945-616A-4198-BFD7-508D894E03A3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	641.7 KB
ID:	124867   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2521DE5-D184-4D72-888B-ABD73E028F77.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	124869   Click image for larger version

Name:	217670F4-54DB-4428-9FC8-701CF2230817.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	690.0 KB
ID:	124871  
Old 06-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

The car looks good. Those wheel would work well on my Teg.
I'm glad it's the head you're keeping and not that block!

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

That block can potentially be saved if you DO NOT TURN IT OVER, and pour some auto trans fluid in each bore and let it soak for 3-4 days. then do a disassembly and check it out.

If not interested in trying to keep it, I might be interested in the bare block and oil pan for a table idea, if shipping can be done cheap enough (under $100)

Build what you have!

Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks again for the encouragement. I havenít opened the ďgoodĒ engine yet but the head is cleaning up well. Finally got the valves out and will try to finish cleaning soon. I want to start a build thread. Gonna look around and see where to put it.
Look how well it cleaned up so far. Two of the valves were stuck. Iíll have to finish cleaning them, replace the seals, polish the ports and chambers, and reassemble. There are marks on the lobes that worry me though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

The camshaft is showing some signs of wear and tear, but Id have no fear of running it as long as you grab some 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper and wet sand it just a touch to remove any small burrs that might be on it. Use WD-40 as a lube.

Just to clean it up. No reason to have it a mirror finish, as that might take too much material away.

If you have a chance at a clean camshaft or perhaps a regrind or aftermarket one, that is a future possibility for ya.

Build what you have!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Can’t thank you enough for that. I’ll pick some up and start my build thread. Man the more I look the more I find to do. Going to be a journey. Have to finish my sons room and nursery before diving in deep. Going to have a daughter very very soon.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Seeing that pitting on the exhaust lobe I'd throw it out and see if the rockers need to be replaced too.

Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in