A noob finding boost - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default A noob finding boost

D16Y7 Turbo Build

So I have a D16Y7 that is stripped to the block in my backyard. I just recently blew my BMW drift missile and decided it’s time to take a break from drifting for just a bit. I’ve been so caught up in drifting that I’ve comepletly forgot what it’s like to own a reliable daily. Anyhow, the Y7 Came out of my perfectly running 98 Civic. One of my buddies was doing a k swap so he begged me for my shell until he got it. The engine had 189k miles on it before I tore out. Had no leak, compression was phenomenal, and everything overall internally looked 189k miles old (normal wear n tear).
I’ve been reading up and have came to the conclusion that d16’s love boost, are easily maintained, and are very reliable if done correctly.
I have a couple things that I have in mind on what I wanna do. Imma put a build list below, feel free to let me know if anything I mention shouldn’t be used and/or replaced with something better or OEM.

FJR Spec Rods
YCP 75.5 VITARA Pistons
ACL Race bearings
I’m not sure weather to keep the Y7 head. If I do
Super tech ValveSprings
Port N Polished
Delta 272 Camshaft

As for the turbo. I already have a GT3076R Ball bearing that I came across for a great price. I just couldn’t let it go.

I already have fueling & Ecu all figured out.

I know there’s a lot of information out there but I’m a very busy person with a tight schedule. I rarely have time to wipe my own.... So yeah, If you guys can help guide me In the right path and save me the time and struggle id be more than thankful and would most definitely try to find a way to give back to you all.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 06-02-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Grold18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Unless you are going north of 300whp or thereabouts, I would not bother doing much with the cylinder head.
Just make sure its healthy via a machine shop inspection and cleanup.

Unless you plan on spinning it quite regularly beyond 7k rpm, the stock d16y7 head setup is strong and reliable. The camshaft leaves a lot to be desired after midrange rpms while naturally asperated, but with boost, does pretty okay.

If you have a really tight schedule and want the most reliability, Just build the rotating assembly nice and strong, use head studs in place of head bolts, and roll on 250-300whp at most.

FWD turbo setups do have a learning curve, and 250-300 horsees is perfect for figuring out if the chassis, brakes, and tires need more attention.

A low power turbo build with full suspension/bushings/ good tires is a lot more fun than some big power, but otherwise stock civic.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Knowing me, I’ll probably be spinning it quite often 😅 would another head be better if doing so? Like a y8 or z6?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Also, you said the camshaft does pretty okay with boost. Do recommend a better one?
Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

It does okay because its designed for low and midrange NA power, and boost will help balance that out as you ride the rpms upwards. It will suffocate the head a bit due to the low lift and short duration, so a regrind from a reputable company would make a nice difference even if you only got an extra 10-15% lift

a d16y8 head with a little port work to even out the flow per cylinder would be a better option. Not sure if you would actually see a big power difference boosted notec versus vtec boosted. There will be an improvement though.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in