D16y8 Goal:180-200hp - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16y8 Goal:180-200hp

Hello there first time posting just getting in to the D series game! I have a 93 del sol all stock currently say for suspension work, I also have a D16y8 with a matching transmission sitting around, so as the car is it’s slow as balls, good commuter but literally no fun at all, currently sitting somewhere between like 85/100horsepower, now my understanding is that y8 will be a bit quicker than that but no where above the 120 range, so I’m going to build it and try to beef up the power a bit, my goal is to have a realiable daily sitting around 180-200hp, is forced induction the way to go? If so what set up would be best for running at a lower boost and maintain reliability? Thanks in advance.
DelSL0W-$- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

what do you mean, what setup is best?

everyones setup is sorta tailoredto the owner.

Whats your budget? What is your expectation? do you simply want strong midrange for better drivability? do you want both midrange AND high range power?

Do you want it to last several years without worry? or not care if it blows in a year or less?

You may be better off finding an engine swap instead of boosting.

Many people dont realize that a bare minimum reliable turbo setup of 160-200hp is gonna cost 2 grand or more once you are done with tuning and required maintenance.

At least an engine swap such as a nonvtec B series nearly perfectly drops in and is still factory. you wont set any records of course, but the car will be more usable.

my old del sol had the automatic d15b7 in it. I think it did okay once you got rid of the steelies and tightened up the suspension a bit. The del sol benefits greatly from a 3point front upper strut bar and a solid rear strut bar, so try those out if the car still feels a bit wobbly

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Price is not a huge concern, when I say what’s the best setup I mean specific parts and brands known to be good. Also wondering if I could accomplish my power goals with a supercharger rather than a turbo? Again price is not a huge concern this is going to be a long process I just want to do it right, id like to have the engine run for as long as possible, I definitely care if it blows up. Mid range high range doesn’t matter to much to me, just want it to have that extra umph, ya know?

Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

using parts that are brand name is for the most part the only concern. most of the cheaper ebay parts require slight modification or attention to be reliable.

If you keep it under 200whp, you dont really need to touch the motor outside of perhaps ARP head studs and a fresh headgasket, perhaps rebuilding/checking the cylinder head condition at a machine shop.

A good budget yet reliable setup for the D's is to find a good usable turbo from a factory vehicle such as old DSM's (mitsu eclipse/eagle talon/plymouth laser) or volvo or saab, and then simply hit a salvage yard and grab intercooler, blow off valve, and wastegate as needed, then source some new injectors like ID 750cc's, drop a walbro 190 fuel pump in the tank, and do all the basic maintenance and adjustments needed to get everything fitting.

If you jsut want extra oomph to make your daily driving more eventful, you could rebuild the engine with a set of high compression pistons, find a good camshaft, and get the car tuned while sourcing a shorter geared transmission.

Generally a high compression D is easily capable of 140-150whp without going nuts.

Build what you have!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks! That’s very helpful, I think I’m going to rebuild the motor, while that’s going on, ( you said anything under 200 doesn’t require much work for the motor) but if I wanted to just be on the ultra safe side what could I do to the internals that would be worth it? Rods? Sleeves? Forgive me if this sounds ignorant but I’m pretty new to this, just want to build something that’s fun! But also could be driven across states and not be dead 💀 after. Thanks so much again for the info you’ve already given me!
Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Oops I meant to specify, I’m going to rebuild the motor the motor and go brand new turbo setup, not a high compression build,
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

If you are going through the trouble of rebuilding the motor, I think it is a good idea to grab a set of pistons and rods.

At this point, I would avoid buying anything, and start going through all the user-built turbo cars on here and getting good reference points of what you want, and how to accomplish it.

Dont forget, with extra power comes the NEED for better suspension and brakes. bushing kits, maybe a swaybar, good brake pads that wont melt off right away, good tires, etc...

No one can really give you specifics, as we dont know what or how this car is getting built. Are you fabricating anything? Is it going to be completely shop built? etc...

Build what you have!

Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan

75 shot wet kit is easy bolt on power, if your looking for a build a t25 turbo can put you into the 250ish hp range on stock internals without much fuss.

Looks like your looking for a solid build to start with so let me give you an example:

t25 ching chong turbo
ebay intercooler/piping setup
turbo header
head studs
drop the head off at the machinist have him mill it the minimum to get it flat
^do the same with the block
no sleeves
forged eagle rods
CP,arias, weisco are solid piston choices, i would suggest 4032 alloy, as this is a very low power build with some headroom.Helps it retain stock like qualities.
basic rebuild for bottom end
valvesprings would be a good upgrade, but as long as you keep the rpm below 7200ish you should be fine.
stock cam, stock valves, stock everything else.
upgrade your plugs to some bkre's of your heat choice. Maybe some plug wires.
chipped ecu, preferably with neptune,hondata or something of the sort. and get a tune, do not just drive around on the basemap.
upgrade map sensor
DSM 440cc injectors
wideband o2
walbro 255 in tank fuel pump
chingchong fuel regulator

and there you go, a full on 300+hp capable honda. The irony of all of this is, its not really needed for something that you realistically only want an extra 70hp out of, just bolting on a turbo without even taking the head off has been done for the last twenty years with great success. and seeing as your goals are very low, i would say this might be your better option. Best thing you could do is to come back with a budget price you want to spend on this build, and we can help you build a list that will fit that budget with all of the required things, with everything else that will maximize your bang for your buck.

Oh and if this car is auto, i would suggest doing a manual swap before even considering a turbo build. This is also not including the clutch, flywheel, suspension, brakes etc.

Last edited by cervan; 05-21-2018 at 03:03 AM.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in