Advice, please. New user, novice mechanic. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Everything Else Ľ New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Advice, please. New user, novice mechanic.

I have a 95 Civic EX. Under the hood is a d16z6, completely stocked out (as far as I know).

My synchros went out, and I'm wondering if it's worth my time to repair it. I've been told that the transmission is not the problem, and that if I repair or replace the transmission (also the head and several gaskets, but that's an unrelated issue), I can fix the long-term problem with polyurethane motor mount bushings.

I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade what I can, since either way I'll be replacing components (if not just swapping in something better), but I don't have much of a budget to work with.

I'm wondering what the cheapest way to get a dohc vtec in there would be.

Until today, I was under the impression that d16s were only sohc.

Is it possible to get a dohc head with vtec that will fit my d16z6?

Also, should I try to repair the transmission or replace it?

I think the block is probably fine, but I'm burning and leaking oil all over the place, so I need to get some new gaskets, particularly the head and oil pan gaskets, and I might need to repair or replace the head itself. I'm sure a little milling and grinding would do wonders for my performance and mileage. However, if I can just get a better head, that would be ideal. I'm wondering if it's possible to put a dohc head on it, and still have my vtec and obd1 wiring harness.
Astnbllr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

No.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Your synchro's are gone, but your transmission isn't the problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Right, exactly. The synchros went out because supposedly the front and rear motor mounts allow too much play, and it causes excessive wear. Therefore the synchros aren't the problem, the motor mounts are. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's what I've been told.

So no chance I could switch out the head for something better?

What are some other ways I can modify this engine while I've got it apart.

I'm not interested in putting a turbo on it. I'm not going for performance, I'm going for durability and long life.
Astnbllr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 25 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cervan Send a message via MSN to cervan
Default Advice, please. New user, novice mechanic.

Replace your motor mounts and report back on the shifting issues. Also check to see if you have gear oil in the trans. You should have engine oil in the trans not gear oil.

No you canít simply bolt on a dual cam head. Although the mods to support a dual screen head are not extreme, given your understanding of the synchros Iím going to say no donít do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 14 Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!Sailor is the fucking MAN!!!!

If you're going for durability and long life, a good condition z6 should fit the bill.

Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in