D16Y8 Oil Consumption 1qt-300 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy D16Y8 Oil Consumption 1qt-300

Hello, first i want to introduce me.

I daily drive an Del Sol 1997 manual with an d16y8 engine, bought it when i was 16 and built it. I am from Germany, so sorry if i didn't write or spell everything correct. The Engine is mostly stock, with an other Air Intake, and Exhaust.
I did a little "tune-up" : Valve adjustment, spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter, cleaned TB, new engine ground wires.

The engine has about 150.000miles on it, the valve cover leaks and the oil pan cover leaks a bit. Oil is a little bit old, PCV is clogged.

So, i have an Oil consumption about 1qt every 300miles, that is in my opinion too much. I don't see any smoke coming from the exhaust, and with that much consumption i would def. see smoke coming out, am i right? (just see smoke if the car stand for days and when its cold outside, when it was rainy the car smokes like shit for minutes until the engine is warm)

and i don't think, that so much oil will get out from the oil pan und valve cover gasket leaks, and i won't see something on the ground.

I already started the car and see if air is coming out from the dipstick tube or oil filling (cap? don't know how to say it in english, hope ya'll understand what i mean), there is a lil bit of blow by from the oil filling cap, but i think thats from the clogged pcv?

My exhaust is really black-ish and my bumper has little black "splashes", but it doesn't smell like oil or water or something..

And if i drive the car, with my heater on, i smell something, so i think because of the valve cover leaks, it'll drop oil on my exhaust mani and burns it = heater on, smells in the car.

I could get an Leak down tester, but they're like (hazet) 350$ in Germany, there are some "china made" leak down tester for 30$ but the shipment will last about 2 months and i don't trust the results of them.
I thought about doing something like an Leak down tester, and just put air through the cylinder and hear if somewhere (exhaust, intake, dipstick tube, etc) is coming air out?

I could post some pictures of my spark plugs after 1000miles, but i asked many people and they all said, that they look fine and consistent, when i changed them, i saw a little bit of carbon buildup on top of the pistons.

I will def. change the gaskets and PCV + do an Oil change, but i don't think these are the only problems.

So, what you guys think whats the problem and how can i check it? i thought about valve stem seals or bad rings, but can i test them if i blow air into the cylinder and just hear how much air is coming out through (for example exhaust or dipstick tube) it?

Thanks really much!!
smallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallz View Post

I daily drive an Del Sol 1997 manual with an d16y8 engine, bought it when i was 16 and built it. I am from Germany, so sorry if i didn't write or spell everything correct. The Engine is mostly stock, with an other Air Intake, and Exhaust.
I did a little "tune-up" : Valve adjustment, spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter, cleaned TB, new engine ground wires.

The engine has about 150.000miles on it, the valve cover leaks and the oil pan cover leaks a bit. Oil is a little bit old, PCV is clogged.

So, i have an Oil consumption about 1qt every 300miles, that is in my opinion too much. I don't see any smoke coming from the exhaust, and with that much consumption i would def. see smoke coming out, am i right? (just see smoke if the car stand for days and when its cold outside, when it was rainy the car smokes like shit for minutes until the engine is warm)

and i don't think, that so much oil will get out from the oil pan und valve cover gasket leaks, and i won't see something on the ground.

I already started the car and see if air is coming out from the dipstick tube or oil filling (cap? don't know how to say it in english, hope ya'll understand what i mean), there is a lil bit of blow by from the oil filling cap, but i think thats from the clogged pcv?

My exhaust is really black-ish and my bumper has little black "splashes", but it doesn't smell like oil or water or something..

And if i drive the car, with my heater on, i smell something, so i think because of the valve cover leaks, it'll drop oil on my exhaust mani and burns it = heater on, smells in the car.

I could get an Leak down tester, but they're like (hazet) 350$ in Germany, there are some "china made" leak down tester for 30$ but the shipment will last about 2 months and i don't trust the results of them.
I thought about doing something like an Leak down tester, and just put air through the cylinder and hear if somewhere (exhaust, intake, dipstick tube, etc) is coming air out?

I could post some pictures of my spark plugs after 1000miles, but i asked many people and they all said, that they look fine and consistent, when i changed them, i saw a little bit of carbon buildup on top of the pistons.

I will def. change the gaskets and PCV + do an Oil change, but i don't think these are the only problems.

So, what you guys think whats the problem and how can i check it? i thought about valve stem seals or bad rings, but can i test them if i blow air into the cylinder and just hear how much air is coming out through (for example exhaust or dipstick tube) it?

Thanks really much!!
Im having similar problem where when I hit high rpms it smokes, from the research I've been doing, most likely bad rings and valve stem seal. I'm saving to take head to machine shop to get that fixed.
Ernesto777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallz View Post

Thanks really much!!
That's a huge amount of oil to be losing and not to notice where it's going.

How did you identify that the PCV is blocked? Did you block it? This can contribute to oil leaks.

You'd have to be burning it though, if you're not noticing oil dropped on the ground and it's still missing it has to be going somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....gtpilot is almost there....

Does it continue to burn oil at that rate if you don't add a quart back? Like in the next three hundred miles would it be two quarts down? Not suggesting that you run it that low on oil, just curious if the consumption slows down at all.

Edit...and if you are adding a quart of oil every three hundred miles then you should have pretty fresh oil in it!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

a blocked PCV will cause hgiher crankcase pressure, and it will find a way out.

Change the PCV, its $5 or so from autozone.

Pull the valvecover off and verify the oil drains are not clogged with sludge.

Do two oil changes really close to each other, say 1000 to 1500 miles, and see what happens after that.

You can burn a lot of oil without a noticable amount of smoke. Look inside your tailpipe of your muffler and see if its covered in a ton of soot.

Find a big hilly road, make sure there is no traffic behind you, put it into a gear that puts the RPMs above 4k, and coast down the hill. At the bottom, thump the throttle. If a big cloud of smoke comes out, your valve guides and valve stem seals are shot. VERY common. VERY common.

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

So.. oil consumption went down, i changed many gaskets, and i think the spark plugs weren't seating allright.. so i got an Leak on the dipstick tube, it runs good and all, but lets say if i stay and idle about 20-30seconds or more, than just accelerate hard und redline it, it does smoke.. or when i just cruisin around with low rpms and then accelerate hard it smokes, but mostly on higher rpms, if i drive it on higher rpms a while and redline it, it does not smoke!!! It also "looses" some oil after sitting for few days.. guess valve seals?

There is a bit air coming out from oil cap (but if i put my hand on it, it does "suck" and not push it) , but no air from the dipstick tube.

I will make the test with the hill to be sure that it's the seals..

If i drive normal, without much traffic and / or stop and go, etc.. it does not consume much oil, just traffic, much cruising than high rpm, turbing car off and back on, and so things, but if i drive about more miles/km's it does not consume much, i drove normal with some high rpm's for few minutes about 160miles and the oil was on the same level before i drove. Most likely city and traffic. But from the Dipstick tube (where it goes into the engine) it does lose much oil! It was all oily around there and fresh!

The mechanical timing was also jumped one tooth, and the timing was way retarded. Vtec solenoid gasket was not sealing good, valve cover gasket had one leak, spark plugs weren't seating good > wires had oil on it and caused bad spark, and so on, now it does consume some oil, but not "soooo much" it's like a quart every 1000miles, and if i seal the dipstick tube it will be better again, i think it's some bad location for an leak and causing much oil loss? But i don't know how do i seal the dipstick tube? I checked it the rings are good, the tube is sitting in the hole, but i can turn it and see that it's a bit "loose" should be there something that would hold the dipstick tube in the right place or something?

Thanks
smallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
consumption, oil, pcv, rings, valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in