Thought a turbo was 10$ at pick n pull so I pulled one off a volvo - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Thought a turbo was 10$ at pick n pull so I pulled one off a volvo

So news flash that was just 10 bucks as the charge for a turbo that was on a whole motor you were buying... anyway it was out.

And the car was stupid well maintained. Turbo interior is clean, spins quietly and is rock solid. There were mileage stickers from a volvo shop all over under the hood. Everything came apart so smoothly.

But it's a stupid flange. Can I just machine the turbine housing down til it'll seal on a standard manifold? Turbo is oem 940 td04 13c and I'm NOT finding any applicable adaptors. It's ruining my night. Spent hours looking. Came here to ask cuz literally I need a break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180315-224354_1521179058604.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	124257  
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Have you measured bolt spacing to compare to other flanges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Bolt pattern is the same as T3.

The tricky part is the two threaded bolt holes have no room to put the bolts in from the other side making cast and most tubular manifold useless.

Easiest is a custom manifold.

The exhaust wheel is the same as Subaru to4h-14t. You could put the Subaru housing on it making adaptation a little easier.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATP-FLS-051...xUYVjO&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TD04HL-Volv...VaVWCh&vxp=mtr

I searched volvo turbo adapter on ebay

your search-fu is weaksauce grasshoppah!!!

read the dimensions listed on the 2nd link to verify. MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

um.....you could always measure the turbine and find another hotside with the same measurement with a t3 flange.....
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Matt that one is backwards to what I need, those adapt the funky manifold to a flat standard flange for replacing the stock turbo. I need this, but I found it, 36$

Listing also says 940, so it may pan out

But I will measure.

In new to turbo. Don't know squat about physically working on em. I didnt know so much swapping was possible

I'm also told it'll seal to a t3 flange w just a metal gasket even though it's not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400_1521301831049.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	124281  

Last edited by evotec1; 03-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.
evotec1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

call gpopshop and ask them their thoughts
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Bolt spacing measures same as t3, yay. Looks like I can clock the turbo the exact distance as one wastegate mounting bolt hole and use 1 bolt, might tig a stitch or 2 into the other end. Center section will need to rotate but it all lines up without having to weld on it too much.

If it's that far apart should I replace stuff w a rebuild kit, or does that lead to more problems/breaking stuff/learning/spending? It's in nice shape. Lots of ppl say they'd rock it.

Is there a chance I can reposition everything w the original stuff in there or will o rings and such not be reusable? What is the correct way to go about this?

I've read briefly that non rebalanced rebuilds fail quickly... like, what's the story on all this if u don't mind bringing it into the thread? I need to know, cuz I'm going junkyard turbo!!

160hp here I come!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_ View Post
Bolt pattern is the same as T3.

The tricky part is the two threaded bolt holes have no room to put the bolts in from the other side making cast and most tubular manifold useless.
Which threaded holes, on the turbine inlet? I was just gonna put in some studs that account for the length of the adapter flange and secure w a nut like the volvo did stock. Is that not how that works?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rep Power: 0 flat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropesflat_ is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by evotec1 View Post
Which threaded holes, on the turbine inlet? I was just gonna put in some studs that account for the length of the adapter flange and secure w a nut like the volvo did stock. Is that not how that works?
Yes the turbine inlet.

That should work with a tubular manifold but not cast.
flat_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

I'm looking at different manifolds, but like, can you just not do it like that w cast? I don't understand. Appearance wise I don't see much different where it would mount up, cast vs tubular. I don't know if my skills are up to doing my own log mani, I learn tig next qtr
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Hey i found turbine housings for a dsm flange td04h (not hl) and it says it works w the same size wheels as my volvo flanged td04h-13c.

Dp availability is good for this setup.

The bad news is new parts are needed. There's like cracking, big chunks of surface just ready to fly into the turbo, deep along the sides of the port leading to the turbine, after where the wg flow diverges. It almost looks like crap built up over time but I'm pretty sure it's decaying metal flaking off. No cracks in the usual spots, and I didn't notice til it was apart.

Oh, and subaru dude scored me a surprise free intercooler from an ecoboost escape today. Looks like im going full on front mount w a baby snail
Old 04-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Can anyone school me on turbine housing swapping to complement my googles? I've found useful info about td04 families but the relevant measurements to determine compatibility/areas to machine if necessary escape me.

There is a td04h (same family as my 13c) housing new on eBay w a 5 bolt dp flange instead of the more difficult to source volvo angled flange I'm using now....looks easy to fab from scratch though honestly.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-Turb...QAAOSwNt1aeWND

Same brand posts a td04h-19t turbo though and mine is 13c so there's my issue. Not a lot on Google about ppl swapping exhaust housings on such obscure small tiny turbos.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

call gpopshop. dudes are amazing with turbos and will tell you anything you need to know
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

You sure that's cool? I don't reall know if i wanna take up a real shops time w my stupid noob junkyard bullshit
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Pardon my language
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

bro, I called them about my build and if they could give me any info about it over the phone. real cool dude to deal with you. guy even sourced me oem water fittings for the turbo I had, all because I asked if he could get me the thread size and pitch
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcanobuzzbomb is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

the funny thing about volvo turbos, they have volvo flanges.
if its a garrett, just swap it with another t3 housing. (that's what i did) no such thing as a free puppy...

00 dx coupe with lowering springs, integra brakes, and boosted d16z6!
Quote:
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Good to know there's such a cool shop, a lot aren't willing to help much if you aren't a client.

Turbo is td04h 13c6 I think I found new housings but it's a b2b thing. I'm wondering if the tech dept at my trade school, or the race shop the instructor runs would be able to access these or if there is a fee that would make it beyond reasonable reach.

Trying to nab the turbo off the chevn40 drift box, it held boost and might have a housing in better shape. Doesn't need the turbo now that it's gm 4.3+t5+ford rear end...at least THAT turbo

So I have like a 50/50 chance of having this handled the easy way before friday.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

The easy way generally doesn't ever find me, if you have information pertaining to measurements that matter when planning a housing swap like you did on the t3 lemme know what's up, homemadeturbo isn't helping and I figured that'd be up their alley....all 3 of em over there that are active
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in