ways to bump compression on a d15z1 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default ways to bump compression on a d15z1

I recently traded my ef for an eg, I thought it came with a mini me but coudn't tell due to the gunk on the engine. It's a d15z1 engine, I dont know how to go about upping the cr ratio without going for d17 gx pistons. I've tried the zeal calculator and mis matching different combos, but I keep getting whacky comp numbers like 6:5:1 or example. If anyone has a combo idea let me know thanks!
nahh_son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Asshole

Rep Power: 53 Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Chrisfrom1986 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 42 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Chrisfrom1986

Use a different engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chrisfrom1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Wish I could, is there any ways by switching rods, pistons, or the head ?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 32 si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !si-hatch86 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to si-hatch86 Send a message via MSN to si-hatch86 Send a message via Yahoo to si-hatch86

For the cost of swapping internals you could fund and run a different stock engine. What is the reason behind keeping the horrid z1?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 dirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatnessdirty d is approaching greatness
Send a message via AIM to dirty d Send a message via Yahoo to dirty d

Pull your cylinder head off. Take it to a machine shop that is well known to work on engines. Get it resurfaced or go crazy and take 0.030" off it and might as well get a valve job, new guides, stem seals, and hot tanked... $500+ later and an oem 2 layer d16y8 head gasket...that'll bump it up big time. (10.14:1 compression) <---zealworks comp calc
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

reason behind keeping it is because its already in there and I have swapped pistons and rods with the engine in the car in my previous b7 by removing head and oil pan
Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
Pull your cylinder head off. Take it to a machine shop that is well known to work on engines. Get it resurfaced or go crazy and take 0.030" off it and might as well get a valve job, new guides, stem seals, and hot tanked... $500+ later and an oem 2 layer d16y8 head gasket...that'll bump it up big time. (10.14:1 compression) <---zealworks comp calc
this is probably what i might do but i really wanted to use a z6 head instaed
Old 03-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

what about stock d17a2 pistons and 0.030 off a z6 head
Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Yessir, I think I finally got it. d15z1 block, d16z6 head 0.030 off the head, d17a2 slugs, and a 2 layer y8 gasket bringing me to 9:5:1 while retaining the 1.62 r/s ratio, does that sound do-able??
Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

I also are the p2m (d16y5) pistons possible in the z1 block?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

why are you dicking around for minimal to no result?

the d15z1 is a terrible engine for performance. Its purpose is to save gas.

if you want to know if X piston fits Y engine, you also need to look at the dimensions of the piston. what is the compression height? what is the wrist pin diameter? is it floating? is it pressed in?

All the money you are looking to dump into the d15z1 would disappoint you with the results.

Even if you got the compression to 13:1 and did not have any detonation, it would still be outrun by a stock d16z6 pissing oil from bad piston rings.

Do it once, do it properly. Grab a better engine foundation.

d16y7 engines are a dime a dozen, and with a d16y8 cylinder head, and d16z6 intake manifold, you are looking at over 10:1 compression WITHOUT slicing head or block, and 40 extra horsepower over what you currently have

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 01:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahh_son View Post
reason behind keeping it is because its already in there and I have swapped pistons and rods with the engine in the car in my previous b7 by removing head and oil pan
So we have no freaking clue WTF combo you have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

I know you don't want to remove the engine and just leave the stock block in there because "it's easier" but it is not hard to drop a honda motor from these cars and get a proper set up the first time.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

exactly. It gives you a chance to really go over the motor if you really are set on using it.

But considering how any of the 1.6 vtec/non-vtec motors will be a guaranteed improvement, I really do think its worth yanking.

Or even better, leave the Z1 in there, save some gas while you grab a 1.6 and even do a 1.7 stroker build.

sql_civic? I believe is the user name to search for when considering the 1.7 stroker. he actually made a 1.8liter d series supercharged, and it looked like it was a ton of fun.

Build what you have!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

The engine I have is a just a d15z1, thats it. I also know its a POS engine, it got out ran by a stock auto cb7 with ease, but I'd also like to give it a chance. Everyone told me to throw out my old d15b2 in my ef, but I gave it a chance and went the "beast7" setup and it was head to head with b18b swapped civics.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
exactly. It gives you a chance to really go over the motor if you really are set on using it.

But considering how any of the 1.6 vtec/non-vtec motors will be a guaranteed improvement, I really do think its worth yanking.

Or even better, leave the Z1 in there, save some gas while you grab a 1.6 and even do a 1.7 stroker build.

sql_civic? I believe is the user name to search for when considering the 1.7 stroker. he actually made a 1.8liter d series supercharged, and it looked like it was a ton of fun.
............hold up, 1.7 stroker you say?? hmmmm I'm going to look into this.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Its the difference of an engine born for day to day driving, and an engine born to save as much gas as possible while staying within regulation and design budget.

Honestly, the d15z1 would benefit greatly from a small non-intercooled turbo, a few small tricks to reduce risk of detonation, and you could probably gain significant fuel efficiency.

make it a project to have a car that is somewhat fun to drive, yet passes gas station after gas station.

Else, find a way to drop a lot of weight. Any and all cars will benefit from weight reduction.

If all your wanting is to successfully increase compression and keep what you have, then send the head in to get sliced, buy an adjustable cam gear, and go ahead and have all the valve guides checked out/replaced, and throw in all new seals, as that is the most common thing to go bad on the D series cylinder heads.

if your d15z1 is california spec and uses a 4 wire O2 sensor, you can even drop in a chipped ecu and tune it a little for better results.

But you wont see much feedback without a large compression increase, and a large compression increase usually requires tuning to maintain reliability. At that point, you must ask yourself if its worth the cost of several hundred dollars just to keep it healthy.

Build what you have!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahh_son View Post
............hold up, 1.7 stroker you say?? hmmmm I'm going to look into this.
all it requires is any 1.6liter block, 1.7 crank, rods, pistons, and either one of the specific B series crank pulleys, or possibly an older oPBD0 crank pulley. 24mm snout I believe.

there are several references and sorta-guides on here over the years.

Build what you have!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

yup, im looking through "danz" build thread see what else they might require
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

it is a nice OEM stroker that runs okay on stock un-tuned ecu's and gives a good thump in the midrange and topend

The cool thing about factory stroker is there are no custom parts that can be off measurement, or what I call "friday builds"

Build what you have!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in