Super noob crome basemap question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Super noob crome basemap question

So all the tutorials are like "just fire up a p30 basemap and have at it" which is great. Can't wait to tune a honda.

But in past (gm) experience, ecu families are separate. A 7747 ecu may run chips for different engines in say the full size truck line, but if i try to run a 7747 bin for a 4.3 in a 4.3 LIGHT truck that uses the 8062 ecu it just won't work. Obviously theres several 4.3 bins for the 8062, so you use that and tune.

Now I got what I thought at the time was all the ecu I needed and more. A p06, modded for vtec, datalogging, and a zif socket.

Then, obviously there's no p06 basemap in crome.

Am I understanding correctly I can in a nutshell just use the p30 file to start with as indicated in the tutorials? It says to best match your engine, not ecu.

That wouldn't fly in obd1 domestic tuning.

Im hoping i didnt get sold a bunch of useless shit that's good for running someone else's chip and running a digital dash, but not for tuning my own car.

It's running on a Neptune mapped chip for someone else's car right now.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

somehwat correct.

The nice thing is as long as it is a honda OBD1 ecu (92-95) from a 4cylinder, it will work.

there is minor conversion work to take an original auto ecu to a manual, but once its "manual" you can use whatever 4cyl OBD1 basemap you want.

you can dig, and find the basemap for your engine, though you need to know some may be altered.

If your sig is correct, you might just want to start with a P28 basemap if trying to tune up the d15b vtec. Then set up some sort of datalogging, and get started fine tuning the fueling down a bit, and advance the timing a little bit here and there.

Honestly, I wouldnt bother with modifying a P28 basemap until you get datalogging setup and go do SEVERAL pulls and watch how the ecu is taking care of the engine.

Little bit extra timing here and there, and pull a little fuel here and there, as the P28 will be richer than the d15b.

BUT you can find a premade d15b basemap somewhere, and use that to compare how a P28 is, and see if you can trim a few things as needed.

Just be sure your sensors are all in working order, your grounds are good, your injectors are clean and firing properly, and most importantly, make sure your mechanical timing is spot on

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 evotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enoughevotec1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks man, it's d15b non vtec but that's cool, I just grabbed my emulator cables and such so I should be up and at it soon now that I know i can just use a map that's made up to run my engine. I just didn't wanna get the emulator loaded and then be like, great.

I'll make sure the basics are good and solid before I start playing.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Seems just too simple to be true that you can fire up any base map but that's awesome! I'm about to get my ecu in the mail, then to chip and start tuning!
TunerThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
B-series Destroyer

Rep Power: 22 rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!rico58204 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerThings View Post
Seems just too simple to be true that you can fire up any base map but that's awesome! I'm about to get my ecu in the mail, then to chip and start tuning!
It may start it up and run, however, that does not mean its running perfect. A basemap is exactly that, a basemap. It's somewhere to start.

I started with a P30 basemap to run my boosted GSR setup. It ran, just not great.
You link all the grounds, then wire each solenoid into the spark plug wires, that way they hit sequentially as the engine fires. This creates what I like to call asphalt shattering VTEC.
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Oh I gotcha don't worry. I'm just kinda stoked. To me that is essentially taking a chip from a completely different ecu family and plugging it in...that it works at ALL is amazing. If you do that on a chivvy you'd be better off running with no chip physically installed in the socket.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in