engine cranks, no start. sometimes it slightly wants to start - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else New Member Introductions

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default engine cranks, no start. sometimes it slightly wants to start

so bought this car is pieces. guy said it needed head gasket
i put new head gasket and put car back together

checked timing 2 times. eye sight on bottom timing cover is on white(single line) on crank pulley

camshaft pulley marks on arrows and "up" at top. distributor is on first cylinder

.... smells like fuel, pulled the spart plugs and they are fuel soaked so pulled them and let the cylinders air out.

unhooked fuel injectors and tested spark from each cylinder and spark plug wire. they all have white sparks

anyone have any idea
barongtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
\/Your Mom Was Here\/

Rep Power: 54 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

What engine/chassis are you working with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Civic EX Sedan (ES2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

d16y8 non vtech
1997 civic 2 door auto

Old 02-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

y8 block with y7 head? or just don't have the vtec hooked up? pretty sure the y8 is vtec
koni yellow/gc coils
uber rare eg6 optional snowflakes

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

well i dont know, might be a vtec then.
dont see anything written on engine or anywhere. looks like regular motor lol

well i did some research and it is vtec. just standard vtec so doesnt say vtec anywhere on engine or valve cover

engine model stamp is D16y8
Old 02-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

block may be a y8, but that doesn't mean the head is.

does it have one of these on the back left corner?

the green plug with another single wire coming from the top
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

yes it has one of those. googled that and thats how i knew it was regular vtec
good old youtube lol (exact same motor in video on how to tell if vtec)

im thinking i might have a stuck fuel injector. going to test them tomorrow and check any engine codes stored in the computer
Old 02-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

check your grounds as well.
koni yellow/gc coils

new 95 ej1.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

If it never started you might try to find someone with a known good distributor as the coil or the ignitor may be bad. You'll never know unless you can measure the kV at the ignition wire. Any OBD2 distributor will work from a 96-00 civic.

If you do wanna check the coil then I can post the info for that.
Weegi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

yes thought of that. all my distributors i have are different plug. asked brother if he has one but dont think any of his are vtec so probably different

but will have to see what he has. or find someone parting car out and buy another
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

so weather sucked today but i pulled a bunch of parts off a parts car
2000 CIVIC 2 door d16B8 motor aswell. motor looks the same but distributor is only 8 wire

my 1997 is 9 wire and different style plug. maybe cause its auto? internals should be similar so should be able to get that to work.

also took injectors/ injector rail, air box tube, intake, head, exhaust manifold, throttle body, some sensors, ecu(wont work for mine but think it has a "sebring tune")

i am hoping these parts will get it going, if not then i will be scrapping it . i am trying my best to save it from crusher lol
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Could it be the main relay?
k5eriescivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

very surprised you could find all those special model distributors but they must be more common where you are. take those distributors apart and the coil and/or ignitor may be transferable.
coil should be
ignitor should be

Faulty main relay usually causes fuel pump power problems but can also show up in a weak check engine light which shows low power at the ECM/injectors. You can check that by unplugging an injector and checking for battery voltage on the yellow/black wire with the key on.
Any multimeter set on DC voltage can do this for you by comparing voltage between the negative battery terminal to positive terminal and negative battery terminal and that yellow/black in the injector connector.

Last edited by slo_eg8; 02-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 thompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to allthompson335 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Do you have good fuel pressure? Alot of the time fuel pressure regulator go bad when they sit dry.
DIY port and polished head
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

yeah fuel pressure good.
-i changed those parts inside distributor and put another fuel rail and injectors but no luck yet

cranks with nothing then feel like it wants to start for couple seconds then just goes back to cranking with nothing.

i have not had too much time to work on it. let the battery charge so may try some things tomorrow. if i have time as i want to change fuel pump in my 4x4 beater(gmc blazer) first lol
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 30 2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !2jzdreamin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Check valve lash. Timing could be off or out. Make sure number one piston is at top dead center on compression stroke and distributor rotor pointing to number 1 on cap,then adjust It.

PM me for obd1,obd2 & k-series tucked harnesses

all so do vtec sub-harness

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....EFB055 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

You mentioned your dizzy leads are correct, but it's an easy thing to stuff up.

Worth double checking

EFB055 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

so update....

i went to start car today after letting it sit and working on other projects
well installed the spark plugs and tried to start it and it started(guess it just needed a long break...)

i mean doesnt sound the best but it started lol. there is air in the system so rpms jumping for 1000-2000rpm at idle. smokes also so gonna see if that stops as it could be from before or from all the attempted start fails or from when the head was off
Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 32 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Let it fully warm up, then go for a gentle drive, paying attention to how it responds to engine load (hills or trying to pass traffic)

change the oil, pull the plugs again to see how they are, and drive on.

Make sure you are only using NGK or Denso spark plugs. ANy other brand is hit or miss how they perform with honda's very touchy ignition control modules and low output ignition coils.

Pay attention to how she shifts the gears also, the D series autotragics are fairly picky about having good fluid quality (aka not old or contaminated)

2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 Delta 197k

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS just broke 100k
2001 civic LX coupe MTX 199k
Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

Build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Let it fully warm up, then go for a gentle drive, paying attention to how it responds to engine load (hills or trying to pass traffic)

change the oil, pull the plugs again to see how they are, and drive on.

Make sure you are only using NGK or Denso spark plugs. ANy other brand is hit or miss how they perform with honda's very touchy ignition control modules and low output ignition coils.

Pay attention to how she shifts the gears also, the D series autotragics are fairly picky about having good fluid quality (aka not old or contaminated)
These are truth. Those quality plugs are a must. Glad to hear you got 'er going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in